Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Modem-to-wallsocket cables recap (again, groan)  (Read 25999 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Modem-to-wallsocket cables recap (again, groan)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »

burakkucat could you be kind enough to link to what you consider the highest quality short cable on run it direct?

Very remiss of me. (Naughty cat!) The Run It Direct leads I would use all have stock codes beginning with the four letters "AVPL", as listed on this page.

As for shielded cables, the shielding should be connected to a good quality signal ground and not a power supply earth/ground. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »

ok thanks :)

think I am going to hold off for now, not exactly a purchase I urgently need, and delivery costs more than the product.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:25:22 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »

for reference I did order, but maybe as feedback to the rep here to add a cheaper delivery option for small items.  Also with it been recorded only one has make sure they in to sign for it.

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »

The  decision to send ALL orders via recorded delivery was made because of the number of items going "missing". The margins are so small that one missing item means you have sell X number again to make up for it. The fact was it wasn't down to Royal Mail either as a few were investigated & found the items were delivered, which the customer later admitted when faced with legal action from RM! We could offer a 2nd class recorded delivery option but the saving would only be about 90p on small items. We can't compete with the likes of Amazon who will deliver an item next day for free.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »

Can't blame you, must be a nightmare when customers start taking advantage. And plus points for not trying abusive charges for anything on the north side of the Forth bridge. Or is it Humber bridge, can never tell.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »

More likely the Humber Bridge as even that is a long way North of Watford Gap.  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

amazon dont deliver next day for free :) you pay a pretty hefty fee for amazon prime and that still excludes cables which can only be ordered as addon-items for larger orders so presumably they have the same commercial problems.

However if you compare to something like ebay where you get sellers with "fast and free", to get that status I think it needs to arrive within 3 days, so presumably second class non recorded gets the cost low enough.

For a cable I would accept non first class personally so second class recorded the 90p saving can be considered significant on an item thats worth circa £3.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »

I noticed a decent improvement when changing from the HG612's bundled ADSL cable to an ADSLNation/Tandy cable. 

The bundled cable was really very long, so initially I just cut it to size and connected it to the data extension terminals inside the faceplate.  This cut attenuation from 22 to 21.5.  Then, after an OR engineer (rightly) told me off for using stranded cable in an IDC punch-down terminal, I switched to the ADSLNation cable.  That took me down to the present 20.5 (although as the weather warms, it's crept up to 20.6). 

Unfortunately, the ADSLNation cable's still a bit too long.  I'm almost tempted to cut that to length too and use the data extension terminals again.  But, law of diminishing returns and all that.

YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »

so presumably second class non recorded gets the cost low enough.

But gives us zero protection against all the "it didn't arrive" thieves. Sadly experience has shown if they can try it on they will & without proof of delivery Pay Pal will ALWAYS side with the buyer. We will never be the cheapest to purchase from & never have been, what we do promise is a fast and friendly service.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »

I'm truly a bit shocked, I had no idea this form of thieving had become an issue.  And like shoplifting it must be driving up costs for the rest of us. >:(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »

But gives us zero protection against all the "it didn't arrive" thieves. Sadly experience has shown if they can try it on they will & without proof of delivery Pay Pal will ALWAYS side with the buyer. We will never be the cheapest to purchase from & never have been, what we do promise is a fast and friendly service.

yeah hence I said 2nd class recorded is a happy medium, saves 90p but still signed for. :)

Or just bump the price of the product and lower delivery, it makes it seem better value on the delivery. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »

Runitdirect you may get some more orders from Leicester depending on how things go, I plan to test the cable on a few adsl connections near me and if the results are good I will point the people to your website to order their own cable, I probably wont be testing it on my line for a while tho as I am not dropping my current sync manually.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »

Ditto.

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »

yeah hence I said 2nd class recorded is a happy medium, saves 90p but still signed for. :)

Or just bump the price of the product and lower delivery, it makes it seem better value on the delivery. :)
Thank you for your feedback.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »

I am using vince's RJ11 to RJ11 1m CAT6 cable from data socket to modem with out any issues most plugs don't like being removed and inserted into a socket 10 times a day what are you doing over there Weaver  :o you will wear out the copper coated pins on your modems DSL socket  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7