Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please  (Read 27494 times)

insidejob

Re: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 12:51:58 AM »

No it don't, not for me. Clear your cookies and browser history then try. :)

I didn't search for anything on google maps, it's to do with my issue with plusnet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 12:58:04 AM »

The latest attempt by one of those "location detecting" sites is marginally correct in terms of the county, Suffolk, when it states "Ipswich".

I am not a user of any Plusnet service. So my examples will be invalid when compared with your experiences.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2017, 01:36:57 AM »

I suggested a location On/Off switch in Plusnets user control panel, a bit like your geolocator on/off on your android phone.

Unfortunately the ISP has absolutely no control.   This is down to BTwholesale and will affect all IPSC, WBC and dedicated WBMC ISPs using dynamic IPs.
Just to clarify what is happening here, the IPs are dished out at the point of the BTWholesale bRAS.  The ISP has a pool of IPs that it makes available to BTw which dishes them out once the account has been authenticated.
Since BTw installed MSE BRAS, it brings the IP pool much nearer to the EU, so it could show up as in your next town.... or if you are really unlucky, you pick up an IP previously used by another person who doesnt mind constantly using google geolocates and in those instances they can sometimes be pretty close to home.  I picked up one once which was just a few streets away.

The unfortunate thing is that these IPs are sometimes a bit sticky so you can get stuck with one, or one in a similar range.

If you want to avoid the above, then get a static IP as those are dished out not from the local pool at the bRAS but by the CP.

As per SINET The options are

 BT Wholesale allocates the address from a dynamic pool supplied to BT Wholesale by the
WBC Customer;
 The CP returns the address in the RADIUS authentication response. This may be used to
allocate Static/Consistently Served IP Addresses or No NAT subnets to an end user

Alternatively look at using an LLU ISP whose RADIUS/BRAS may cover a wider area. 
It´s a test signature

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »

Worth trying Pulse8 who use the TalkTalk Business network.

Just done an IP Location Finder on my fixed IP address and none of then are very close to where I live:

Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB6, updated on 2017-3-1)

IP Address   Country   Region   City
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   United Kingdom    England   Marble Arch
ISP   Organization   Latitude   Longitude
TalkTalk Broadband   Not Available   51.5141   -0.1582
Geolocation data from ipinfo.io (Product: API, real-time)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   United Kingdom    Lancashire   Clitheroe
Tiscali UK Limited   TalkTalk Broadband   53.8732   -2.3878
Geolocation data from EurekAPI (Product: API, real-time)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   United Kingdom    Redbridge   Ilford
Tiscali UK Limited   TalkTalk   51.5576   0.0728
Geolocation data from DB-IP (Product: Full, 2017-3-1)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   United Kingdom    England   Reading
TalkTalk   Tiscali UK Ltd   51.4543   -0.97813
Geolocation data from MaxMind (Product: GeoLiteCity, updated on 2017-3-7)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   United Kingdom    H9   London
Not Available   Not Available   51.5092   -0.095499999999987

Dynamic IPs are handed out as standard; I pay extra for a fixed IP.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »

Tickmike I can tell you why it shows Exeter because Eclipse internet were based there.
http://business.kcom.com/contact-us

In the old days more so, your location would show the location of where your isp were situated, or where their head office were. Some isp's still work like that but far less than back then
Yes that is correct.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »

BTW can other members test this. I have noticed that if you click on google maps without doing any searching, it automatically locates your home city or Town. I don’t think you need to work out why and that's why I don’t like what plusnet have done.

Try it.
https://maps.google.com

I clicked on that link, it took me to North America.

insidejob

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »

Aesmith, well must be just me then with the issues I am having or any isp doing what plusnet are doing.

insidejob

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 10:47:48 PM »

Thanks for response admin. That is pretty much what I were saying, had been told but you went into more detail and explained it better. :)

The static IP would only be a temporary thing if I did that. I would need to buy new static IP's every few weeks if I want it to work like a dynamic IP. Not sure if there is any time limits on how long Plusnet allow you to keep a static IP before changing.

Probably better to use a VPN and that's more dynamic than a static IP but short term again.

So can I safely say that, BT infinity wont have the same issues as plusnet or go the same way?
I have not heard from any Sky fibre broadband customers, or Vodafone fibre customers yet?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »

I had a static IP from Plusnet for over 10 years. Not once in all that time did any geolocation get it right - or even close.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

insidejob

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »

Pulse8 line rental is quite good at £13 month but fibre is £39.90 for a 76mbps connection.
Pulse8 dont seem to do phone broadband bundles.

https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/fibreoptic-broadband

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »

Aesmith, well must be just me then with the issues I am having or any isp doing what plusnet are doing.

Google Maps took me to a map of the UK on a private browser session. When I'm logged in to my Google account, it correctly takes me to my home city. So that's Google doing it, not the GeoIP database.

Try downloading the GeoLite2 City database in CSV format and search for the first 2/3 octets of your IP address, identify your subnet and see what comes up in the postcode field.

http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2017, 11:20:32 PM »

Forgetting about google maps, or Apple maps, imagine a different scenario...

You buy something online, maybe a book or a biro, or you pay a gas bill, whatever.  At electronic checkout, if they don't already have it, you supply full postal address for delivery.   They also have your IP, just like any other website, so they have a full street address for that IP.

Would they be able to sell on the combo of IP and street address?   Probably depends on hundreds of pages of small print T&C.   But most small print T&C tends to include clauses like 'we may share your details with carefully selected partners'. :D

insidejob

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2017, 11:21:54 PM »

If you log into google, it tracks everything you do so will know where you are from your past history, while logged in. Something I dont do. Mine were without being logged in with all cookies and browser history clear. It's defo plusnet issue and for reason said by me and better from Admin.

I know where my IP is located to. It shows the postcode of my exchange, near where I live on them detailed IP locators. Still to close to home.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:27:55 PM by insidejob »

insidejob

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »

sevenlayermuddle If that were 100% correct then my location, close to it, would of been known, shown many years ago. That were not the case until recently.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:30:38 PM by insidejob »

insidejob

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »

Thanks Jelv good to know but I can't buy multiple static IP's and use them as dynamic, with my plusnet connection.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10