Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please  (Read 27479 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »

Am I correct in thinking you have neither an Android or iPhone connected to your WiFi?

You are absolutely correct. And for a long time I did not use WiFi access to my LAN.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »

The OP wrote in the community.plus.net listing

> I logged in from an unknown location and that's because, it now show where I live. I don't want google knowing that much detail or any site.

"Logged in from an unknown location" possibly means that you either logged in to Google from a different IP address, or a different browser, or a cookie was not found in a browser or forty things. There's no evidence this is anything to do with ISPs and it's more to do with Google. What they mean by "location" is possibly not what we understand it to mean. Perhaps other kitizens could comment on Google’s use of terms here?

If you don't want Google knowing so much about you then you need to delete cookies and local storage and use the Private Mode browsing feature of your web browser. Google will track you using cookies, not using IP addresses, and after all you are probably using NAT anyway (since you are with PlusNet) so all the boxes in your house will have the same external IPv4 address anyway as far as Google is concerned, and they need to know which running instance of a web browser on which machine it is that they are dealing with.

If any of this is unclear, please do not hesitate to ask, you are not expected to be an expert. :-)

What kind of machine were you using when you made that community.plus.net posting?

insidejob

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 01:31:42 AM »

Weaver thanks but I dont want to repeat myself. I know exactly what it means when it says unknown location and explained this on the forum.

Plusnet have a new network and as you should be aware by now, it no longer connects via the hub in London or Sheffield. So google knows me from London, not near my home location, which is why google is saying that. The Issue is Plusnet and nothing will change that while I am with Plusnet.

I have checked Zen and they have static IP, so no good. AAISP is static IP. I don't really want IPV6 or do I need it. My equipment is IPV4 only.

I asked plusnet if I could buy multiple static IP's and use them as if they were dynamic but I cant and only available to business customers.

For the record I dont use,

WIFI
Android phone
Apple iPhone/ipad
Or am i dumb enough, to log into google and do any kind of searches.

It's ISP recommendations I am after for reasons most will know about. Anyone on BT infinity who has this issue of there home city or town showing? I would like to know thanks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:08:13 PM by insidejob »

insidejob

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 01:53:16 AM »

My understanding is...

if anybody who connects to your WiFi has an Android phone, the likes of google will generally be able to pinpoint your IP as, when the phone connects to your WiFi, it will update them with IP address as well as any WiFis in range.   They know where every WiFi is from crowd-sourcing (and Street View) so it's easy to join the dots.  It will be available to anybody who pays Google enough dosh.

A lot of the online IP locators will be miles, or hundreds of miles, out.   But that is simply because they are basically gimics, and are not paying Google for up to date data.

Same goes for Apple and iPhones of course, without the Street View, but I believe they employ similar crowd-sourcing data, and I assume they sell it on.

The IP locators as you call them, are showing the location to your nearest BT Exchange in the City/Town you live in, or close to.
Previously with Plusnet it were only locating the main hub or data centres you were connected to, like London or Sheffield.

The difference between the old shared network and the new dedicated network plusnet are now using.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 05:18:10 AM »

Except that all the end-user Plusnet connectivity is in London, anything using Sheffield as the location was probably just reading from the address of the ISP's head office.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »

I'm with Plusnet, and a lookup of my IP address does indeed reveal my nearest town (Ashford, Kent).
Have a look at https://www.iplocation.net/
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »

The site in the post here doesnt say Leicester but if I check my ip on whatsmyip.org then click more info about you it shows London.  It did used to show Leicester tho :p so I wasnt expecting the result London just now.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »

The only information I get from 'whatsmyip.org --> More information about you'  is the normal whois information, which puts me in California. The link I gave above tries a number of geolocation services, two of which return my nearest town correctly.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »

Clicking Eric's link, I see an assortment of results, all adrift by hundreds of miles.  Rochdale shows up twice however which is unsurprising, as I am with Zen.

But if I open Apple Maps on my iPad (no GPS or Cellular data) and click on the arrow it knows exactly where I am, to within a few feet.  I understand that works by looking up nearby WiFis that they can locate by other means.

In my dialogue with the Maps App it downloads data, so Apple also know my current IP even if it were dynamic (Zen are static), therefor Apple can locate my IP location to wihin a few feet.   I have no idea whether they would freely sell that data, but they are a commercial organisation, and the data is of value so I have always assumed they would.   Same scenario of course, for Google.

Frankly the whole privacy issue is something I just begrudgingly accept, as I think we all must.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:59:37 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »

I just tried Maps on the Mac, which uses wired LAN with WiFi normally disabled.  It asked me to turn on WiFi "to determine my location".    It then knew my location even though WiFi is not configured for any of SSIDs, so not actually connected - just 'on'.

So it would appear that particular scenario for Maps they are just using my own and my neigbours' WiFis, not using IP addresses.  But I stand by my assertion that if Apple wanted to collect IP location data via other WiFi devices then they could.  It would not guarantee accuracy as a dynamic IP address could suddenly change, but they would have a very high probability of being accurate.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind but I'm with bt and the results from my mobile over wifi are

Wales and Braintree

Both of which are hundreds of miles away

I am at a loss why location is an issue, or perhaps I have missed the point sorry, but one experience as a family we had was, our daughter was involved in a serious car accident, and we did not know her location, but was able to identify her position, so I was able to be at the scene very quickly. It was a nasty accident and her mobile was thrown from the car but still powered on

I think my point been, there are pro and cons to tracking/location been known, and of course, if for whatever reason you do not want your location known, leave all connected devices at home, but then given we live in a connected world, your captured by other devices like cctv etc

Many thanks

John

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »

Anyone on BT infinity who has this issue of there home city or town showing? I would like to know thanks.

BT Infinity works in a similar way to Plusnet - depending on the IP tool you use - you will either see the location of a localish exchange or one of their regional hubs (not necessarily local to you)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »

Fwiw, I have stopped worrying about this whole subjct to the extent that a fair number of people, even better half's Mum, are now shared by me as followers in iOS 'find my friends'.  That means they can get my GPS location any time they like.   Followers can even get automatic alerts when i arrive at map locations, or when I leave.

Does it bother me?   No, I quite like it.   Worst potential outcome was one day recently I'd spent all afternoon in a pub in town, chin wagging with old pals.   I gather that event was duly noted, even before I staggered home at dinner time. No secrets these days.  :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

Lol, that last paragraph made me laugh  ;D

I use my Google timeline to fill out my time sheet,  as I anyways forget to note what time I get to and leave work. It it annoys me that the locations  are not always accurate though.  Some days I'll get a nice track of my route another it will be a straight line between home and work, or whatever.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »

I'm with Plusnet, and a lookup of my IP address does indeed reveal my nearest town (Ashford, Kent).
Have a look at https://www.iplocation.net/
Using the above it says I am in Exeter = Wrong I am 211 mile further north.

I also use an iphone on my LAN WiFi. !.

My isp is Eclipse.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10