Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SD card problem EVO+ 128gig  (Read 4536 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
SD card problem EVO+ 128gig
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:39:51 PM »

Brought a new SD card to use in my Galaxy S7, in the Q&S section people have said the phone is compatible.

I have checked the packaging and serial number which are legit.
I tested the SD card on my PC and can confirm all data is readable when card filled up so no signs card is fake.

However my phone cannot use the card, basically gets an error trying to format it.

I can format and use the card fine on my PC.

Seems very odd, but unless anyone has any ideas I guess I need to return it for a swap?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: SD card problem EVO+ 128gig
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »

another update, confirmed card works fine in my S5 phone.

So summary

Card works fine in S5 phone and PC via usb stick sdcard device.  Also tested that can read data on card when fully written.
Card does not work fine in S7, it will show up as a unsupported sd card device, if select to format it, then the format fails with a error 40 code.  Other S7 owners have confirmed this EVO+ card works on their phones so should not be compatibility issue.
I observed using disk info pro app, the sdcard is visible as a unmounted 119 gig device.  So is defenitly been recognised by kernel.
In the recovery app TWRP, nothing can be done with sdcard at all, it acts as if no sdcard in place, but looking at the boot log for the recovery the card is shown as detected but fails with a unknown reason to mount.

At this point indications would suggest faulty sd card slot on my S7, but my existing 64gig card still works on the phone.

Is very odd but I can only see this as either a partially damaged sdcard or (sadly) more likely partially damaged sd slot on phone. The S7 uses the horrible tray system to insert sdcard's, my S5 has the much better fixed port under battery cover but of samsung did away with removable battery covers on their new phones. :(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: SD card problem EVO+ 128gig
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:31:01 AM »

update, about 2 day after the last post I sent back the sdcard and ordered a new one, and the new one owrks fine in the s7.  I think it was a seating issue.

The first 128gig card was not super snug in the sdcard plastic holder and would raise when inside the phone, since the s5 has a proper sdcard slot it didnt have the same problem but these new cheap plastic trays do, the new card is a much tighter fit, so I think was a seating issue.

However anyone considering getting this card I highly advise to buy the newer evoplus not evo+  same name but with different spelling, the evoplus 2017 model has 3d nand and has write speeds in excess of 90meg/sec akin to the samsung pro sdcards, is annoying for me as it was realased very soon after I got this card, albeit currently at about a 50% price premium but I think the price will reduce as soon as older evo+ stocks run out.

The evo+ 256 gig card also has the faster 3d nand.

So evo+ 256 gig and any evoplus has the faster 3dnand.
evo+ 128gig and below has the slower planar nand with circa 20meg/sec write speeds.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:33:04 AM by Chrysalis »

anything