Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Major Power Outage in Leicester - Effects on Circuit  (Read 21715 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Major Power Outage in Leicester - Effects on Circuit
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:05 AM »

[Moderator note: This new thread has been created by splitting off the posts from the MDWS "support" thread.]

my line just lost its 200 day uptime and may go down again major power cut east midlands 45k properties
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:53:45 PM by burakkucat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Major Power Outage in Leicester - Effects on Circuit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

is up full 80 sync low snrm if errors are ok ill leave it but we had tons of brownouts lately as well so may get a ups or two

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »

for wombat and anyone else who takes an interest in quiet line data, its interesting comparing my current (when I synced before others) to my last quiet line data, quite a big difference.  It looks like at just under 3db snrm I am heading for 400-500 ES a day.  It may stay under 400 but I think it wont. I was in the 250-300 range as an average with my 4.9db snrm.

Also my power output on both US and DS is lower which is telling on my lower US attainable, but my US power varies with every sync event anyway, seems to be calculated live depending on the noise situation at the time of sync.  However I think usually my DS power is stable.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »

the guy on the phone was talking to me pretty much live.

I had my power back in 10 mins, and he said in that time 22k properties had it restored.  By the end of the phone call it was down to 15k still affected. Given how quick they were recovering it I would be surprised if its still in the 1000s right now.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »

looking at google maps it was not far from me, but I never did see smoke when outside (I went out to check if power cut was on entire street which it was).

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »

Seems to be the highest you've synced at, and a good speed for being on an ECI cabinet, though only due to early connection at the time of power coming back on. If I were you id defiantly leave it synced unless the errors got too high like you said. Hopefully you'll be fine for another year at this speed :fingers:
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »

A nice SNRM of 3dB the errored seconds have increased 2X during evening time and when T/Storms become active again in a month or so you will need to keep a close eye on your circuit when running at 2.8dB with fastpath.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »

still on my exclusive ECI 3db trial.  The error rate for majority of day is well within stability demands, but when it does spike it is spiking high in terms of CRC error count, ES I think on a full day will be about 3x as what I had on 4.8db SNRM, but should still be well within DLM limits.

Still undecided whether to play safe or not.

--edit--

with 25 hours uptime modem reports 499 ES.  So lower than my new estimate, after about 3am the errors settled down, my rough period for line (probably due to upstairs neighbour washing machine running all night) is from about 6pm to about 3am, but still errors will increase during afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:27:21 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »

So long as the data is being uploaded to MDWS then there will be something interesting for WWWombat to analyse, in due course.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 01:02:14 AM »

It isn't looking that much worse than the old behaviour - especially if you look back more than a couple of days. But it looks like upstream ES have improved.

The QLN shows the exact form of the crosstalk, doesn't it? No difference in the ADSL bands, but lots as soon as you get above that...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »

Wombat I think I have an explanation for the US ES count.

It is my belief that whenever US is synced, a specific power mask is negotiated with the aim of minimising crosstalk on other lines, I observe that on every sync event the attainable US varies as the output power varies.  In this instance I have a lower US SNR giving me lower attainable but I seem to have won the lottery in terms of crosstalk related errored seconds.

Also I agree the DS ES count isnt too bad, in the early part of the day before 2pm it grows at the same rate as before but during my noisier period its a lot more spikey which is the bulk of the extra ES.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »

I see what you mean about the ES count, around 6-7pm especially. Very noticeable. Have you figured whether it is caused internally or externally? Or have any correlation to, say, street lights or heating?

For upstream - yes, that will be the UPBO mechanism in action. Right now, you have reduced upstream power (which I guess I expect) but you also have reduced downstream power (which I don't).

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »

I think the UPBO mechanism sets the upstream power based solely on the length of your line, which doesn't change.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »

I think the UPBO mechanism sets the upstream power based solely on the length of your line, which doesn't change.

nope, my US power changes on every sync event, its never the same.  Hence my theory it is something dynamically adjusted based on whats happening on other lines.  Of course the operational range is probably governed by the attenuation, the nope is in regards to it never changing.  The difference between the lowest power I have seen and highest is about 1mbit attainable of US sync.

My DS power doesnt usually change and I suspect the reduced power was because the QLN was low.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything