Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: AVG 8.0 Free edition  (Read 22001 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: AVG 8.0 Free edition
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:50 AM »

Kitz, I was just going to suggest you try Avast... I tried it as a replacement for the dreaded Norton, and find it excellent.  one handy hint tho, open Avast by double clicking on the systray icon, and turn off the standard shield, otherwise it will scan every application you open (the sort of thing that drives me mad).
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »

Oh yeah and if you get 2 Avast icons in the systray, you can combine them by rt-clicking on one of them. ;)

scottiesmum

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

I've decided to leave AVG 7.5 installed.......for the time being  ..... if AVG 8 is sorted before 7.5 stops updating I'll change it then.....   I used to use Avast, and did for several years, but recently it started having adverse effects on other things ....  I know it was Avast by process of elimination which took me a looooooong time ... it  was updating 2 or 3  times daily at one point  .....  so I shall be patient ........... 8) ....  many thanks for all the suggestions offered, which I did try.     :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »

I have not upgraded to AVG8, yet,,  and the pop-up advert has not now appeared recently over the last 2 days.
Maybe it was only set for so-many pop-up's before it stopped ?

I wish I could go back to Avast,
I don't like Avast because I could never retrieve anything it had put into the deleted folder.
On a couple of occasions it deleted things I wanted and I could not retrieve so the program stopped working.
Admittedly technically they were Trojans, but "harmless Trojans" (KG and cracks)

edit
Oops, spoke to soon, the pop-up just poped up.
But I think I may be able to live with it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:04:26 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »

Yeah, Avast does have a habit of updating 2/3 times a day, and if those audio messages drive you mad, you can disable them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »

I used to install Avast several years ago on any new PC builds or setups that I did.. but somewhere along the line I swapped over to avg.

>> one handy hint tho, open Avast by double clicking on the systray icon, and turn off the standard shield, otherwise it will scan every application you open

Yeah I sussed that and the double icon last night.

>> I don't like Avast because I could never retrieve anything it had put into the deleted folder.

Yeah that bit is well hidden.

Before turning off the standard shield - it did put something into the "chest".  I also later marked the file as an "exclusion".

To retreive the file from the chest you have to go from the sys tray icon and select "Start Avast Antivirus" of all places - yeah makes sense eh? ???
This then opens up a new control panel box thingy that looks more like an music player than anything else!!
Click the chest icon
Click "All chest files"
Highlight the item
Right click the item
Select "Restore".

>> and if those audio messages drive you mad

I tell you they certainly surprised me this afty.   Made me laugh I was on the phone at the time when it went off....  and Im like WTH was that?

So far though all seems well and it appears to use less resources than AVG did.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 02:02:31 AM »

I think it was mentioned before, but.
The other thing that got me annoyed with Avast was it constantly asking if I wanted to use this or that program.

Avast is the anti virus program, not me, it should know and recognise it as a safe program and of course I want to use it, that's why I opened it.
(Or am I being over judgemental for a free program)

To retrieve the file from the chest you have to go from the sys tray icon and select "Start Avast Antivirus" of all places - yeah makes sense eh?
This then opens up a new control panel box thingy that looks more like an music player than anything else!!
Click the chest icon, Click "All chest files", Highlight the item, Right click the item, Select "Restore".

You know what,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I had forgotten about that, I was trying to recover by selecting an option from properties or something.
Now you mention it that's why it only showed me what was in the chest.

edit:
Actualy I quite liked the audio message..
Your virus database has been up-dated.

When I put it on other peoples PC they also loved it when it spoke to them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:05:14 AM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 05:30:13 AM »

Personally I think that interface looks hideous, but thanks for the explanation Kitz.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:33:04 AM by Floydoid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:20 PM »

select "Start Avast Antivirus" of all places

I think that part is a bit misleading - because to me Avast is already running..  so why I should have to select "Start Avast" didnt make sense.

and no I dont like the "music player" interface that much either - it didnt seem logical.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

It ought to say something like 'open program tools'.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »

agreed :)
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »

But those niggles aside, I really do prefer Avast over AVG (which I have on the spare comp), and that nice man's voice telling me what's happening is rather reassuring I find.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »

Thought I would post this (copied from bleepingcomputer) which may help scottiesmum, if she comes back to this thread.

"I work for AVG Technical UK and can tell you how to resolve this issue very quickly. By default when you go to install AVG 8 onto your computer it will uninstall AVG 7.5 from your computer, but will leave some files behind. Now there is a bug in the software that resides in the scan component and can freeze up the scan and also can even blank the scan completely out so you are left with a blank screen. They are currently working on this issue at the moment.

What you need to do is first download AVG 8 (depends on what version you have Internet Security or Anti-virus) onto your desktop first. When you have done this then uninstall AVG 8 from your computer. To do this click on START, ALL PROGRAMS, AVG 8, UNINSTALL AVG. Make sure that you tick to delete user settings and objects from the virus vault.

Sometimes AVG 8 will fail to uninstall, so please go into safe mode to do this. Once AVG 8 is uninstalled from your computer please delete the following:

C:\Program Files\AVG
C:\Program Files\Grisoft
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\grisoft (if you have it there)

And last, please delete the registry key, to do this click on START, RUN and type in 'regedit' without the marks. Hit the enter key or click on OK. Registery editor will appear, navigate to the following folder and delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GRISOFT

Delete both, empty your recycle bin and then restart. Now install AVG 8 onto your computer. (remember when you come to the firewall configuration, if you are using a router please make sure you select computer in domain)

Hope that helps,"

That may help folks with a similar problem.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »

When you have done this then uninstall AVG 8 from your computer.
 To do this click on START, ALL PROGRAMS, AVG 8, UNINSTALL AVG.

Don't they mean AVG 7

Because at this stage AVG 8 has not yet been installed.  :angry:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »

Confusing indeed.

Here is the link..http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic144238.html

I get the impression that the guy is saying install ver 8, let it make a mess of things, then uninstall it as above and re-install.

Quicker just to stick to the older version untill all the bugs are sorted out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything