Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: AVG 8.0 Free edition  (Read 22003 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: AVG 8.0 Free edition
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »

Good instructions, TD.

I have to question one point you make, and that is when you said:
1. Download & save [Never to Desktop or My Documents]...

Why not on the Desktop or My Documents? I'm sure it makes no odds where you save it.

Apparently if you try to run the installer from a directory with a space in the name, such as My Documents, it can go belly up so they recommend creating it's own single word directory. (OK, no space in desktop, and why that was included in the no-nos, I dont........um..........know.  :blush:)
Scottiesmum, where are you downloading from, and are you installing as administrator ?

Please do not throw your PC into the vineyard..............would not like to think of you walking around with crushed grapes ! :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:20:36 PM by tuftedduck »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 04:22:50 PM »

I'm with you TD, I too like a clutter free desktop.  All my downloads are saved in the folder D:\Downloads.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

TD   I'm downloading from Grisoft...I am the admin.  and I have a special Downloads  folder  in My Documents,where all my downloads are. Do you think the fact that the Downloads folders which is one word but within the My Documents  could cause a problem ??? I've never had that before, mind you I've not had AVG 8 before  :-X     I don't use the Desktop at all, as I don't like folders all over it, just my pretty picture  ::)  (otherwise it looks like litter) !!   

PS  Up to now I've resisted throwing out computer   ............................................    up to now !! :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

Meant to say in last post, here is link to the AVG recommended install procedure.
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?13,121635,backpage=,sv=

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 04:34:27 PM »

Kate try setting up a downloads folder in the route of either C or, preferably D (if it exists) drive, and see if it makes any difference.  I hadn't considered that a space in a folder name might cause a problem.

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »

Floydy, I've JUST made a new folder on the Hard  Disk  C  (I've only got one !) and called it DOWNLOADAVG then I can recognise it !!  downloading now !! fingers crossed  ...thanks for your interest.

scottiesmum

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »

Me again, sorry !   OK  I downloaded (again, after deleting the other download) this time to a folder as mentioned in post to Floydy above...  I printed out the instructions from Grisoft....as follows ...

Download & save the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

It doesn't get to the  'remove user settings part'  ...   I get a box asking if I want AVG8 to Run at Start Up and I click Yes ...then I get  an 'Installation failed' Notice with the message in my original post...  I have no other choice but to click OK and then nothing happens...... 

I have tried every which-way, followed ALL the instructions  ...and now  I am completely flummoxed....     hic !!!! !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »

:'( again

But this time we have found a clue ! That "hic" is a dead giveaway  :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »

:drunk:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »

Apparently if you try to run the installer from a directory with a space in the name, such as My Documents, it can go belly up

Is this a new thing?

Because if not then most of my software have to go through at least 3 folders/sub folders with spaces and I have never ever had a problem installing a program:-

IE:- x My Software - New Downloads - AVG Software

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 08:13:41 AM »

I do as you do OF, and have never had a previous problem ....  perhaps it's unique to AVG   ? !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 10:05:44 AM »

Apparently if you try to run the installer from a directory with a space in the name, such as My Documents, it can go belly up

Is this a new thing?

Because if not then most of my software have to go through at least 3 folders/sub folders with spaces and I have never ever had a problem installing a program:-

IE:- x My Software - New Downloads - AVG Software

I don't know, OF,.............all I know is that is what the AVG guru said in the link that I posted.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »

Judging by the topics in the CA Security forum, it seems that AVG 8 is being a bit of a PITA for quite a few people.  Hopefully Grisoft will rectify this soon.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »

Whoops Ive upgraded and got a few problems.  :'(

Its blocked quite a few of my apps such as my ftp server (Serve-U) which it seems to think is malicious.
I also dont like the safe link search thing and how it takes a a while longer now for google to load.  I know you can turn it off - but if you do so you have a constant nasty warning icon in your sys tray.

Just uninstalled it after spending ages last night trying to find a way round so that it wasn't falsely declaring apps and my files as dangerous, but in the free edition there doesn't seem any easy way of over-riding it.
Now using Avast.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »

I wish I could go back to Avast, but ever since my mobo/processor change it will not work  :'(

The real time protection, VDB etc all run but clicking on the desktop icon, nothing opened so could not get into the on-demand scan etc. Uninstalled-reinstalled but no change, so had to go back to AVG. Don't know what was/is wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything