Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: AVG 8.0 Free edition  (Read 22005 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
AVG 8.0 Free edition
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: AVG 8.0 Free edition
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »

I just noticed it, and was about to report it myself, but you beat me to it ;)
Chris

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »

Ah, that might explain the annoying pop-ups I've been getting of late. Bizarrely enough they all took me to the paid variant though... Strange that ;)
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

Yep, it was those damn popups that caused me to investigate.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 12:23:02 PM »

Yeah, well the popups I think were trying to flog you the paid version, so that then a week after people had bought the paid version, thinking that the free version was stuck at 7.5, then they release v8 free!

I think I investigated the popups on the first day, and then forgot all about it ;)
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »

I have downloaded the new version  8 of AVG Free.  I un- installed  version 7.5  but when I tried to install the new version I received the message

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
        Error: Action failed for registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows:AppInit_DLLs: creating registry value....
            Error 0x80070005

Confused   :'(   I have now reinstalled version 7.5.524 virus base is 269.23.4/1397  24/4/2008   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:19:23 PM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »

I am not techie enough to know what all that error thingy means, so cannot help there, but I do know that if you install version 8 with version 7 still installed, it will ask at a particular point if you want the installer to uninstall and clear version 7.
If you say yes to that, version 7 should disappear cleanly and be replaced by 8.

Also, do you have AVG anyispyware installed ? There are several posts here and there reporting installation probs., occuring until AVG antispyware was uninstalled, on the basis that the function, data base etc of the old antispyware is included in the new package, and the two will collide if both are there.

Sorry I can't be of more use.  :-[

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »

Thank you TD ...   I have since tried to install  version 8 over version 7.5 ..and did receive the notice saying that it would automatically un-install  the earlier version ...BUT at the point of installation once again it gave out the above message ??    I have now downloaded version 8 again in case the download was corrupt and will now endeavour to install again ....  I don't have AVG anti-spyware........   if this next attempt doest work I shall try disabling my Superantispyware, Windows Defender and Spybot    and then see what happens ............ watch this space  :D

:no: :no:   no difference  ....... :shrug2: :shrug2:  Can I stick with version 7.5    ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:49:24 PM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

:'(

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »

exactement !!     ???

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »

There is no reason not to stick with  version 7, at least until it is killed off but I daresay that will be some time away yet.

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »

Why do I often get the impression that sometimes it's three steps forward and five steps backwards !!   :-X    Thanks TD ...

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »

How to install version 8, with thanks to the security techie on TechSupport forum.

Did you have AVG 7.5 installed before? If so, this is the best way to install AVG 8.0.

Try the following with a fresh copy of the install file. This is the preferred method to uninstall / re-install....

1. Download & save [Never to Desktop or My Documents] to a folder on C drive (remember whereabouts) the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]

2. Check the download file MD5 hash value [forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum]look
at the Sticky that says :AVG 8.0 FREE DOWNLOAD FILE - MD5 Hash Value. Download DigestIT 2004 to calculate or verify MD5 hash value at http://www.snapfiles.com/get/digestit.html

3. If it is correct run the AVG Free install file

4. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.

5. Restart your computer then...

6. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it....

If you used the Windows Add/Remove... use the above instead since it removes all of the old AVG files/settings better. ( do not use an old AVG install file.. always use the latest release ).

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »

Good instructions, TD.

I have to question one point you make, and that is when you said:
1. Download & save [Never to Desktop or My Documents]...

Why not on the Desktop or My Documents? I'm sure it makes no odds where you save it.
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »

Thanks for that TD ....  ALAS  !!    I have now deleted the download I did yesterday.. I have downloaded the Version 8 free again ....I have the 7.5 version installed ...   I have installed the Digest 2004 as you recommended -  on the downloaded file I have used the Calculate MD5 Hash and checked that it is the same as shown on the AVG Sticky ....  and it is  ..then  copied that code and pressed Verify MD5 Hash  ....  I get the message This does not appear to be a valid message digest ......   

Not to be deterred by this little hiccough .... I then attempted once again to install ..... I received exactly the same message as my original post .... computer now on the brink of being tipped into the vineyard  !!!!!  and I think I shall just have a glass of red to calm myself   .... :'( :-X :-\ ::) 8)
Pages: [1] 2 3