Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1,500 new jobs at Openreach  (Read 3507 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
1,500 new jobs at Openreach
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »

Hot off the press ...............

On Friday we heard the news that BT has now reached a long-term regulatory agreement with Ofcom regarding the Digital Communications Review (DCR). And now we have more good news – we’re now able to hire to invest in our network. I wanted to tell you before it goes live in the press.

In the next few days you’ll see media coverage that we’re hiring 1,500 new people across the UK, over the next eight months, to join Openreach’s skilled engineering teams. This comes hot on the heels of our 2016/17 recruitment campaign.

Our Communication Provider customers need us to install, provision and repair faster than ever for their end customers – so we’re investing in building our teams to make sure we deliver. We’ll be increasing the number of people working on proactive network maintenance – so we can continue to bring down our fault rate and deliver better service. As we saw recently, our investment in this area has reduced our year-on-year network fault rate for the first time in six years.

We’re looking for great people to join our great business so we can all deliver a better service. I’d love you to talk with your friends and family about the opportunities in Openreach – tell them to apply online ( http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/careersatbt/openreach/index.htm ) . Or, if you’re personally looking to move from a desk job to a role in the field, talk to your manager or let your HR lead know.

Clive

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: 1,500 new jobs at Openreach
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »

Seems like only last week they were trying to get rid of as many staff as they could!!  ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:16:52 PM »

I've never worked for BT, and never applied to them either and at my age, think I'll settle for my current employment status of 'retired'. :D

Must say though, in the course of my career I knew a few who did join BT.   Don't recall any of them ever regretting it.  And in a few encounters with real people in work visits to BT premises, the employees I met always seemed a contended bunch.   Same goes for vast majority I've encountered as a customer, when they appear at the bottom of my garden digging up their cables.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »

Seems like only last week they were trying to get rid of as many staff as they could!!  ;)

Oh how I wish I knew then, what I know now  ;) ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »

I've never worked for BT, and never applied to them either and at my age, think I'll settle for my current employment status of 'retired'. :D

Must say though, in the course of my career I knew a few who did join BT.   Don't recall any of them ever regretting it.  And in a few encounters with real people in work visits to BT premises, the employees I met always seemed a contended bunch.   Same goes for vast majority I've encountered as a customer, when they appear at the bottom of my garden digging up their cables.  :)

To be perfectly frank 7LM, they have been a great employer for myself ..... afforded me a very decent lifestyle.

Of course, we all know the woe's of recent years that has seen a once great company become a slave to stats, but I suppose that's the way most if not all of the large companies have gone ??
The pressure is constant, and depending on the type of manager you have, can become crippling ...... and I mean to a severe point.

My hope is that they eventually realise what really counts ....... a content workforce that gives great customer satisfaction. Steps have been taken by our Union to remove (or at least dumb-down) the abhorrent 'Performance Management' system, but we have a way to go to get back to having a healthy management - engineer relationship.

That aside, the personal benefits the individuals receiver are probably the best there is around. Well worth applying for that alone.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »

> The pressure is constant, and depending on the type of manager you have, can become crippling ...... and I mean to a severe point.

Sounds unhealthy and hopefully illegal.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »

Few things indicate more clearly how messed up Ofcom have left our telecomms market than Openreach hiring 1,500 engineers in 2017 to increase PNM and repair capacity on the copper network.

I can imagine the PNM they'd want to do would involve retiring all e-sides on lines served by FTTC but can't because LLU.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »

yep, hence my post on tbb where I called ofcom a competition enforcement officer rather than a broadband regulator.  They are prioritising the needs of sky/talktalk/vodafone over consumers and openreach.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 06:10:02 AM »

Absolutely agree. Ofcom needs to be scrapped. Completely lost the plot.

anything