Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.INP just enabled after 3 months of monitoring  (Read 2206 times)

myriad

G.INP just enabled after 3 months of monitoring
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »

So I started monitoring my line after I found this forum in December (thread here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19024.0.html)

Short story is that I had been on a Huawei cab with fastpath or maybe G.INP (sub 10ms pings to bbc) until I removed some internal wiring probably causing a few disconnections and maybe some temporary noise on the line and got interleaved (no G.INP for sure since December - 15ms pings to bbc).

To try to get my error seconds down I capped my download and upload so I was around 9db on dl and 15db on ul. This continued to see me have 100 - 150 ES per day on both ul and dl over the last three months so no change to status. Over that time I have resynced a handful of times. Yesterday there was a resync and instead of coming back at around 30mb/s dl it synced at 24mb/s which I would guess was down to whatever caused the disconnect still causing a problem (I suspect work by BT causing problems but who knows). I was trying to download a large file at the time so I thought screw it I am going to remove the caps as I could get an additional 10mb/s. So I rebooted the router (couldn't be bothered to do the 30 minute wait to prevent DLM caring) and I resynced with an expected rate, way above the 24 I was on. Since that resync I got the same 100 - 150 ES per day. Today a few minutes ago I lost internet and to my shock on checking the status I now have G.INP enabled, 9-10ms pings to bbc and the highest ul sync I have ever seen on the line, dl is slightly below average at 32 but I'll take that for now.

So I am just posting to record the event really, no idea why G.INP kicked in, whether it for some reason has been disabled on the cab until now or whether having a capped line for a period of time and suddenly uncapping it fooled DLM into trying it (seems a big coincidence if this had no impact), I don't know, theories welcome.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: G.INP just enabled after 3 months of monitoring
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »

Interesting story.  :)

I won't attempt to guess what has happened. If you have been uploading the statistics to MDWS, then perhaps someone with an "analytical eye" may spot something.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

myriad

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:06:27 PM »

Continuing the record of changes, at 3:52am my line re-synced and my ul had INP and interleaving removed (this is almost exactly 14 days after G.INP being enabled). UL sync went from 8261kbps to 7381kbps, errors on UL have increased from very few to roughly 8 on average per hour. DL hasn't changed at all, is still at 10.4 SNRM and 32400kbps, INT 16, INP 45. Pings to bbc at 10pm are now 8ms.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:08:33 PM by myriad »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »

8 ms pings with G.INP you must be in Gamers heaven the lowest ping ms i'll get get is 28ms with G.INP of course I'm such a long way from the central server 400 miles or so could be even longer as I don't know the the full path of the cable.

There is not much to go on as you only started to upload stats to MDWS from the 24th of March so we'll take your word for it as we can't see what happened in those previous 2 months

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:27:48 AM »

He probably started uploading much earlier but if you haven't donated it only stores 5 days.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

myriad

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »

Yes I only have the last 5 days in MDWS but you can see the change I last posted as it happened in the last 5 days and you can see a paste of my stats in the original thread I linked that shows no G.INP so you don't have to take my word for it :)

Line just re-synced again, DL SNRM came back at 9 rather than the 10.4ish previously, so sync is now 34999kbps. Since the previous change errors on UL have increased into the yellow zone for stable and standard (178ES in last 24 hours), this is slightly higher than I was seeing when I had no G.INP and had interleaving on (about 150ES). Nothing else has changed and pings still look good which is the main thing I care about:

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.78] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.246.78: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.78: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.78:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 7ms

For anyone wondering why I am recording in this thread, it is so I can refer back to it if something changes and also just to provide some info on DLM changes. I would expect/hope my SNRM target on DL to continue to decrease to 6db over time, not sure if any other changes will occur with G.INP/interleaving.