Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EE Signal Booster  (Read 6683 times)

Tacitus

EE Signal Booster
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »

Not sure where to post this since it's mobile rather than domestic but here goes.

I live in a poor signal area.  With most of them you can get a signal near the window, on a good day, when it's not raining etc. 

I'm currently on O2 who are the least worst, but am looking at moving to EE since their coverage is much better in the places I visit but worse than O2 where I live.  I aimed to deal with this by using one of the Cisco/EE Signal Booster boxes but unfortunately they won't sell one saying that I can use voice over WiFi on their contract iPhones.  Since I've not long bought an unlocked iPhone that's a none starter, but they say their coverage map show's it as being OK which in truth it may be round about here but not in my house. 

Has anyone any experience of these boxes?  Caveat emptor, but do EE keep a log of the IMEI and those they sell the box to irrespective of whether it's registered in order to render useless those bought off eBay?  I've also heard you can run into trouble with port forwarding but I can probably sort that.

Don't mind paying for the box, but EE would rather lose a customer.  Unless of course there's some serious technical reason they may not want to sell them.

underzone

• Reg Member
Re: EE Signal Booster
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »

EE wifi calling works with iPhones and some Android models:

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/wifi-calling

IMHO it works much better than the femtocells (calls connect instantly and better quality audio).

Tacitus

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »

EE wifi calling works with iPhones and some Android models:

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/wifi-calling

IMHO it works much better than the femtocells (calls connect instantly and better quality audio).

Hmm.  According to the folks in the EE shop, WiFi calling only works with locked phones bought through them - aka contract customers.  Must admit I was sceptical but whilst I'm OK for signing up for a 12 month sim only contract I don't want to sign up and find it doesn't work.  Whilst I could claim 'unfit for purpose' I'd sooner avoid the hassle.

But then the guy in the shop insisted there was no such thing as a Booster Box until I pointed out what it said on their website. 

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

That is what I have too:

"12 month sim only contract "

So can confirm it works 100%  ;D

Plus, it says so on this page: http://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:29:27 AM by underzone »

Tacitus

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »

That is what I have too:
"12 month sim only contract "
So can confirm it works 100%  ;D
Plus, it says so on this page: http://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only

Thanks for this, it's good to know it will work straight off.    I'll go ahead and make the move.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:45:52 PM »

Did you do a 'Search' of the forum ?.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16825.msg309975.html#msg309975

On our iphones we can use WiFi calling to other WiFi enabled iphones instead of using your 'Data' just like a normal conversion , we also use 'FaceTime' video conferencing over WiFi to our Daughter with no problem even on our poor internet connection.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Tacitus

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »

Did you do a 'Search' of the forum ?.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16825.msg309975.html#msg309975

On our iphones we can use WiFi calling to other WiFi enabled iphones instead of using your 'Data' just like a normal conversion, we also use 'FaceTime' video conferencing over WiFi to our Daughter with no problem even on our poor internet connection.

Thanks for the link - very informative.  I did a search but probably used the wrong terms so I didn't pick it up. 

Agreed you can ring them up and they'll do all sorts of checks.  However given that those in the shop didn't fill me with confidence, I was looking for a fall back position if it all went pear shaped.  A Booster Box off eBay looked as though it might offer that unless they kept a record of the IMEI linked to the original buyer and refused to register it.  What I really didn't want was to sign up to a 12 month contract which I then found was unsatisfactory.

It looks as though that won't be the case and WiFi calling should work fine so I'm going ahead with the move.

[EDIT]  Just to add that 4G at home doesn't bother me since a decent 3G signal should be OK for calls and occasional Facetime/Skype calling.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:44:58 AM by Tacitus »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »

funny enough leics is one of best 5 cities in uk for coverage, even with powercut affecting 48k properties i still had weak 4g in bedroom

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »

Re ' A Booster Box off eBay'   :no: EE will not set up the VPN link. !

iphone WiFi calling / Facetime works of any WiFi signal, it does not mater who is the ISP !.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Tacitus

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »

Re ' A Booster Box off eBay'   :no: EE will not set up the VPN link. !

I'm hardly likely to tell them I bought it off eBay which is why I wondered if they kept a check on the IMEI and who they sold it to in the first place, regardless of whether it had been registered.  But yes there is a risk there.

iphone WiFi calling / Facetime works of any WiFi signal, it does not mater who is the ISP !.

I appreciate that, my point was that 4G doesn't matter to me in a domestic situation.  If I was using a Booster Box the signal would go over 3G which would be sufficient for FaceTime etc.  No Booster and the signal should go over WiFi with no probs

anything