Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Slowest internet  (Read 6892 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Slowest internet
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »

Who has the slowest DSL downstream? Including someone you know. UK and Ireland-only, no abroad-land.

Is anyone you know still using dialup? (Movable laptops don't count, that's cheating, my rules.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Slowest Internet
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:24:36 AM »

Who has the slowest DSL downstream?

Is that synchronisation speed or throughput speed? If the latter, which tester do you suggest that should be used?

My CPE currently reports --

$ xdslctl info --state
xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:   8000
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 992 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5684 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 984 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5120 Kbps

I regard it as neither fast nor slow but adequate for my needs.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Slowest internet
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:29:43 AM »

Good point. Let's consider two categories and give out two awards.

Include your granny, next door neighbour or the fellow down the road. Burakkucat has absolutely no chance of course, sorry. I'm interested in just how badly the country is doing in its darkest spots.

If people want to apply for the speed tester true downstream throughput gong then I suggest that people have to submit a non-cherry-picked number of results and the fastest score is the one that counts, so no omitting the better results. This max-based apparoach avoids false results due to congestion, load on the test servers or alien traffic at the user's end. Need to swear their own end was free of competing users’ traffic and test at a quiet time of day if at all possible. An a good few tests.

As for which tester, I am very much open to suggestions, but I myself propose speedof.me as it will work on any platform and it gives the highest numbers the latter hardly being very scientific, but it's a tentative re-use of the same max-basis logic but on a shakier foundation. Why the highest numbers? Who knows - may simply be exaggeration or a matter of their honest particular choice of definitions or their techniques, but it could be argued that it demonstrates freedom from congestion, good routing and central placement.

As for the prizes? Fame? Heartfelt sympathy? An appropriate top-quality BT OR faceplate filter and a Tandy DSL cable maybe. Installation fees for a move to one of the ISPReview top n ISPs? I can donate a new DLink DSL-320B-Z1 from my mountain of spares.

We also have to think about whether or not to allow candidates for either category who have silly target SNRMs (I suggest disallowed) and candidates who have broken lines, duff kit, broken hardware, evil internal wiring or interference problems. Suggestions? I suggest healthy systems only, for a whole raft of reasons. (Healthy meaning that if it can be fixed it gets fixed even if that might knock you out of the race for glory.) Thoughts?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

I spent a weekend at a farmhouse in Cnewr, a tiny village in the Brecon beacons, back in November and that had an ADSL DS connection speed of about 448Kbps. I don't know its phone number but the SamKnows site puts the postcode as 7.85km from Sennybridge exchange!

Is that the sort of slow you are after. :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »

there's one in the UK on MYDSL with a sync on the DS 4128   and the upstream at    448   

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

My sync is 2603kbps down and 702kbps up.

I've known people in the past have a 160kbps sync on an 8km line.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »

You may know about this map

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=maps&utm_content=sidebar

Not sure if this speed test counts, In a London hotel room two weeks ago on there WiFi I got 0.01Mbps Down and 0.73Mbps up 87ms ping, on a good day I got 0.06 and 0.6 up 368 ping  :lol:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »

@Weaver

Perhaps you're assuming that everyone will be on the fastest technology available to them?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »

@ejs - No. But no cheating by having a broken line, otherwise you could knacker your own setup to win the prize.

Tickmike potentially makes a fine challenge for winner of award category 2, but that is probably contention of wireless lan overload, which is a violation of the methodology rule - has to be quiet. Would be ok if he were the only guest. Its site bandwidth, not individual experience.

lee111s personally puts me out of the running, slightly. Not that 'I ever had a chance because all my neighbours beat me in some cases by a long way. I have the shortest and by far the quietest line as well as umpteen other things.

lee111s' acquaintance could well be a winner in both categories. Would have to be current though.

skyeci - hopeless :-) sorry, must do better (worse?)

tubaman - fantastic contender, current and specific but lee could overtake you if it can be nailed down.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:24:06 AM »

My own connection rate is with a 2db margin too. If it's at 6, then I only get around 2.1meg sync.

Amazingly the line is stable at 2db. Quite a few errors but the don't have an impact on throughput.

DLM is essentially "off" on my connection.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:20:56 AM »

lee - tell us about your line, kit etc, if you wish? (separate thread if you prefer.) I get a d/s sync of very roughly 2600 to 2800 on my three ADSL2 lines at 3dB d/s target SNRM, actually running at below 2 dB after a while typically. The three lines are BTW 21CN, 66 dB d/s attn, ~4.55 mi long.

If I run at 6dB it doesn't make that much difference to sync rate for some reason, and the snrm soon drops and eventually ends up close to the same long-term value as for a 3dB target anyway. Don't know why.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »

Engineer said the cab is 4040m from the exchange, and I'm about 550m from the cab.

59db attenuation using a billion 8800NL (original, not the R2). Target SnR set at 2db in the billion. No intervention from DLM due to errors as mentioned earlier, I've had it disabled.

At the cab on a 6db profile the engineer was getting 2.4meg, so the D-side "loses" around 400kbps.

The fibre cab has been stood a few weeks ago but there's a delay in the power. Openreach awaiting a quote from Northern Power Grid to connect her up.

I think the fibre has been connected as Avonline networks spent a full day at the cab last week.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »

So something is not right if your sync rate is that low compared with mine and your downstream attenuation is 7-8dB better. Either the line plus house is noisy compared with my line, but then everyone possible is, per metre at any rate, or modem plus filter plus DSL cable to modem is not as good. I would go with 'noisy'. start another thread if you want to do some experiments as some improvements will be worthwhile even when you go to FTTC, just that the filter will need to be different.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »

So something is not right if your sync rate is that low compared with mine and your downstream attenuation is 7-8dB better. Either the line plus house is noisy compared with my line, but then everyone possible is, per metre at any rate, or modem plus filter plus DSL cable to modem is not as good. I would go with 'noisy'. start another thread if you want to do some experiments as some improvements will be worthwhile even when you go to FTTC, just that the filter will need to be different.
Absolutely no noise on the line. PQT very good, it's just shitty E-Side cabling. Well known that the cab we're on is rubbish. None of the lines to the cab get 3meg despite being 4km to the exchange.

There's going to be hell on when FTTC is enabled as they've only installed a 128 Huawei and there's 300+ homes connected to the cabinet :D

I used to work for a CP and dealt with complex DSL faults. I've got a brand new D-side as it's a new build house, brand new master socket fitted by OR a few months ago on the other side of the wall where the line enters the house, no extensions.

I actually have one of the higher connection rates around here, most are sub 2meg, one of my neighbours is on 0.7 but that's due to poor quality internal wiring.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:53:13 PM by lee111s »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

My sincere apologies, you will know far more about it than I ever will. :-) I'm just surprised at your sync speed given your attenuation figure, which of course takes into account thin wiring. Perhaps your wiring and green cab is rubbish in some other way. Depending on how you feel about the use of terms, do you include crosstalk under the heading of 'noise'? According to Black Sheep iirc, my wiring is the fattest copper, for most of the length at least.

If your noise is ok, then that either means that mine is ridiculously good, or it's to do with modems, filters, cables etc. I don't know what my crosstalk is like. I have no filter at all (no phone), good ultra-short dsl cable, no house-internal wiring, triple-filtered mains supply to the modems just in case and aggressive modems, I believe. So maybe the difference is in there. I've spent a lot of time over the years comparison testing-kit and swapping things over, including making some 'improvements' that are probably pseudo-science and not really relevant but can't hurt.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything