Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What NAS drive do you guys use/recommend?  (Read 6409 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: What NAS drive do you guys use/recommend?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:27 AM »

I bought acronis true image 2017 from amazon.

I'm wondering, because I use 2 drives (ssd main, and hdd storage drive).. i usually install most programs to the storage drive except essential programmes.

Would I get any benefit from installing this to the ssd drive?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 01:14:33 AM »

indeed I would say thats much better value than the branded NAS units.

Also looking at the back picture it looks like for future expansion there is room to install a SATA addon card for more slots, although not sure where the drives would be placed with all bays full.

I also have observed there is a massive thing on the FreeNAS forums about ECC been required for ZFS, I personally think non ECC ram on zfs has no real extra downsides compared to when using non ECC ram on other filesystems.  But obviously if people want some peace of mind they can get a ECC system which this unit is for a much better price than other stuff I have found.

BigJ

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »

I also have observed there is a massive thing on the FreeNAS forums about ECC been required for ZFS, I personally think non ECC ram on zfs has no real extra downsides compared to when using non ECC ram on other filesystems.  But obviously if people want some peace of mind they can get a ECC system which this unit is for a much better price than other stuff I have found.

I found in some cases that dogma ruled the FreeNAS forums. If you weren't going by the 1GB of memory for every TB of storage "rule", you should be cast into a fiery pit ;)
IXsystems (the company behind FreeNAS) eventually chipped in with their opinion and covered some basic configuration topics in a blog post. The blog post was the 1st in a three part series. Read the forums and read the blog posts then make up your own mind depending on your needs.

EDIT: quote from the blog, "ECC RAM or Not? This is probably the most contested issue surrounding ZFS"

EDIT2: Sorry no idea about the SSD. Been meaning to buy one eventually
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:12:02 PM by BigJ »

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »

I love my 4 (nope, older than that!)6-year old HP Microserver N40L.  If you're willing to do some learning, it's great to build your own NAS.

Mine runs FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE with:

• SanDisk 160GB SSD (internal, optical drive bay) boot disk
  • 4x WD Red 4TB HDs (internal)
  • 4x WD Red 4TB HDs (external eSATA-connected enclosure)
  • 6GB ECC RAM
  • HP Remote Access Card
  • Generic ASMedia SATA add-on card, with 2x eSATA and 1xSATA ports (for later expansion)

The 8 spinning-rust drives are arranged as a single ZFS 'zpool', consisting of four mirrored-pairs ('vdevs' in ZFS-speak).  So, 32TB of raw storage provides 16TB of actual storage.  This has expanded over the years -- just added a pair of drives every 18 months or so.

The machine's easily able to saturate gigabit Ethernet reading and writing to the ZFS pool.  Plus, it runs a Minecraft server and some other bits and bobs.  FreeBSD 9.x and above are more than capable of automatically tuning ZFS to work with a given amount of RAM.

...and I went for ECC RAM because the server could use it, so why not!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:48:12 PM by displaced »
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

BigJ

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

Well FreeNAS 10 RC1 is out so I've taken it for a quick spin on the HP N54L with two drivers in mirrored configuration. I found the GUI was generally usable, a bit slow every now and then as parts of the page dynamically updated.

My Filemanager program (Nemo) clocked it at 130MB/s copying a 6.4GB file to a NFS share, peaking around 150GB/s. All very unscientific I know :)

EDIT:
Using Rsync to copy to the NAS, it averaged upload at 102 MB/s.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:50:12 PM by BigJ »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »

It took me 1 hour 20 minutes to backup and validate the image with acronis to a usb storage device.

Having bought the usb storage device it got me thinking that this is actually the first usb 3.0 device I've bought since usb 3.0 came out! lol.. I'm thinking i might be alone in that. The couple of USB storage devices I have are usb 2 mainly for cheapness..but yea it surprised me. i have all these usb 3 ports and never fully used them lol.

BigJ

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »

Ah yes, I still remember my astonishment when I switched from a USB2 external drive to one with USB3. I'd read about the large improvements in speed but seeing it in action was still a surprise :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »

I'm coming back around to the idea of a NAS drive as I'm getting more in to streaming my files to the tv etc.

So a question I was wondering, does the nas drive have to be directly connected to the router, or can I connect it up to one of my network switches? or will it effect its performance by not connecting it directly to the router?

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 03:46:22 PM »

Wouldn't make any difference, unless the switch is only a 10mb switch...! I personally never connect a device directly to a router, I prefer to keep them separate and away on their own VLAN's on separate hardware etc.

You can enable plenty of the fancy cloud sharing bits from anywhere inside your LAN, you would just need to open ports if required on your firewall/router.  I'm actually going to be in the market for a new NAS myself in the coming months. I've had a Qnap device for 10 years and it's still running nicely but I've reached the max it can support. Based on my experience with it, my preference would be another QNAP, so I'll watch this thread with interest to see what you go for...
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »

There is only one Ethernet cable plugged in to my router and that goes to a 1Gbps switch. My QNAP NAS and other devices are plugged in to that. As the router only has 100Mbps ports, that means that PC to NAS is running 10 times the speed that it would if the NAS was connected to the router.

I'd suggest that connecting the NAS to a switch would be the recommended way as that takes internal traffic away from the router leaving it free to get on with it's primary task of communicating with the internet.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2]

anything