Computers & Hardware > Networking

What NAS drive do you guys use/recommend?

(1/5) > >>

Bowdon:
I'm going to take the plunge and buy a nas drive. I might be backing up a lot so I'll need one that can take 2 big volume hard drives. Is it raid 1 that mirrors the 2 drives in the nas?

Any recommendations or experiences with nas drives appreciated.

BigJ:
I've gone home brew running FreeNAS on a HP N54L with 4 drives configured and it's worked flawlessly for 3 years. It uses the ZFS filesystem and I've configured it as RAID-Z2 which is similiar to conventional RAID-6. In my layman's opinion, it's a great low cost option compared to a Synology or QNAP.

I used to run XPEnology (Synology on unofficial hardware) on the HP N54L but the worry of doing major software updates got the better of me.

Check out FreeNAS 10 which is currently in beta and nearing Release Candidate. Looking very nice :)

Yes, RAID-1 is mirroring. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

EDIT: corrected name of HP box and for clarity

jelv:
My first foray in to the world of NAS boxes is a QNAP.

I'm well impressed with what it does over and above being a NAS.

adrianw:
I have 3 FreeNAS boxes - a FreeNAS Mini XL (8 * 6 TB WD Red), a FreeNAS Mini (4 * 6 TB WD Red) and a HP N36L Microserver ( 4 * 2 TB drives). The Microserver served me well, but the small foray I had with it into FreeNAS 10 showed it to be excruciatingly slow.

The PDF available via https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/ is a good read, and possibly applicable no matter what 64-bit NAS software you intend to run.

I had been running my FreeBSD workstation as a sort of NAS (NFS and SMB shares), so a FreeBSD NAS appliance made sense to me. Other appliances are available  :cool:

Chunkers:
If it was my first NAS or I wanted max data security I would buy a Synology or QNAP, I have two Synology units.
If I wanted cheap and less secure I would use an old PC and install FreeNAS or Xpenology (Xpenology is very cool but not very polished}. My Xpenology junk build is for non critical stuff like mp3's and security cameras.
My next NAS will be a self build probably with a cheap Ryzen and ECC RAM running FreeNAS or X pen, haven't decided.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version