Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IMAP and email clients  (Read 7252 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: IMAP and email clients
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »

I think the storage quota thing on the server is a consideration if you only use IMAP. My hosting company handle my email and the storage used by my emails is part of my overall disk quota. If you own your own server it's not a big issue but if you keep emails from the year dot then it could be on rented space. If you need a huge number of emails then downloading via POP3 is a better way to go IMHO.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »

To put the server limit issues in context, my own mail is hosted in a Google Apps account.   Like any other gmail account, the limit is currently 15GB.  I very rarely delete email and so every email I have ever sent or received, since first acquiring email in early 90s, is stored in that gmail account.   Approaching just 7% of the limit, last time I looked and anyway, they keep increasing the limit.

And don't forget, the fact it is hosted offsite by some distant provider means you can worry a little bit less about backups and recovery in the event of something awful, like a home fire.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »

Invaluable feedback folks, thanks.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 03:14:15 AM »

I have various email accounts.

Hotmail and gmail which are accessed via a browser or phone app.  I use neither for business purposes, generally gmail I use for mailing lists as its ideal for high traffic mail.
Hotmail I used to use many years ago a lot more, but now I just check it infrequently and generally it just gets spam and emails for stuff like forums I registered it with a long time ago.

For work/personal and contact when signing up to something I use one of my personal domains which I host myself so the actual space limits I have are in reality in the TB's really just limited to the size of the storage on my servers.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »

A bit late to the party but I like to visualise IMAP as a file system where a mail is a file. I now use IMAP for all mail and may access it from any of my user machines via Thunderbird. One of the file servers here runs a Dovecot IMAP server and holds an archive of all mail for about 25 years. It just appears in Thunderbird as another mail account, and TB filters are used to move older mail from the Internet IMAP server to the local server after a time, so alleviating overflow worries. So far TB handles this quite well without any noticeable slow down or other ill effects.

TB searches work just fine on the external or internal IMAP servers/accounts.

TB can be configured to retain emails locally so you can review and compose replies without an Internet connection. I think several have already said as much above.

For me it means I can pick up any machine and get an identical view of my current or archived mail.
Pages: 1 [2]