Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ouch! (N*Star's Circuit)  (Read 5182 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Ouch! (N*Star's Circuit)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 03:03:57 AM »

Just wondering if his Cabinet has had the firmware upgraded for G.INP
No idea. brand new cabinet so you would hope so.
DSLAM/MSAN type:           BDCM:0xa48c / v0xa48c
Is that what everyone else has?
The curse of leaving his ECI cabinet..
  ;);) :lol:
looks like it lol. i was looking forward to G.INP but at least it's not stuck on interleaving.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 06:52:48 AM »

That's the same DSLAM firmware as I have, and I've had G.Inp enabled for many months.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »

The maximum duration for G.INP to be enable that i've seen in these forums was 7 weeks, TBH I can't ever remember seeing a line being stuck on fastpath before the DLM is normally very quick to act in cases like yours.

John you started off manually capping you sync from the start just thinking if that had anything to do with it  :-\
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:50:35 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »

Thinking back to the tail-end of last year, it was late November when the DP "block and tail" was replaced. All seventeen subscribers connected via that DP then had good circuits. However there was not that much time to get a "feel" for your circuit with the EE service, as Christmas was fast approaching (flashing lights, etc) and then you migrated to Vodafone.  :-X

Now back with EE, it does seem as if the circuit is allowed to synchronise when the DS SNRM is at its minimum (the Radio China International, Radio Romania, etc, effect) such that the DS SNRM remains above 6 dB for the entire 24 hour period, then it is very stable. With just one and a half hours to go before today becomes tomorrow, I see that the circuit has 18 ES DS, 3 ES US and 0 Retrains.

On thing I have noticed (but cannot explain) is the occasional "blip" in the SNRM traces. For the higher of the two traces the blip goes upwards and for the lower of the two traces the blip goes downwards. Perhaps it is something that WWWombat may be able to explain . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

#Decloak :paperbag:

On thing I have noticed (but cannot explain) is the occasional "blip" in the SNRM traces. For the higher of the two traces the blip goes upwards and for the lower of the two traces the blip goes downwards. Perhaps it is something that WWWombat may be able to explain . . .  :-\

Not exactly, sorry. Just add more mystery ...

When I zoom into MDWS, down to a couple of hours, I see that the upstream & downstream blips are actually separated by a minute. When one direction blips, the other is normal.

Looking at upstream alone, but looking at the 3 bands, you can see that U0 and U2 both are at low levels, but those levels are encountered regularly ... but just "chance" that both are low at the same time in this minute. U1, however, seems to take an irregular dip. The cumulative effect shows up.

Downstream alone shows a blip for both D1 and D2. Interestingly, there is a similar blip around 40 minutes earlier that isn't visible on the aggregate SNRM chart.

It makes me wonder just how volatile the line is ... and how it appears when sampled very frequently instead of once per minute.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »

Thank you for the analysis and your observations.

I'm prepared to just regard the blips as "one of those things".

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »

Thanks WWWombat it's been ages since we last conversed could run DSLstats on the PC at 15 second intervals and see how it looks.

Burakkucat when I was with Vodafone they sent two engineers out which found no fault the second engineer did replace the NTE/A & SSFP MK3 to a NTE5C & SSFP MK4 and a DLM reset, if I remember correctly the MK2 had issues when the SNRM went below 4.5dB and then a retrain occurred it seemed the MK3 was more tolerant.

Just wondering if this MK4 is also impeding the SNRM level swing like the SSFP MK2 it's a just a theory and not much evidence just have to keep the DS SNRM from going below 5dB  ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:11:37 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »

could run DSLstats on the PC at 15 second intervals and see how it looks

Depending on how fast your system is, you might be able to run it at 5 second intervals. You won't be able to upload to MDWS while this is happening though.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »

Depending on how fast your system is, you might be able to run it at 5 second intervals. You won't be able to upload to MDWS while this is happening though.

I understand the RPI is gathering the stats for MDWS at 1 minute intervals but can run DSLstats on the PC at the same time at a lower interval the 8800NL is happy with multiple telnet access's

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »

That's true.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »

It might be worthwhile as a sanity check.

My gut feel is that if the line was really volatile, it would show up as varying results even at minute intervals. Which we don't see.

But this reminds me of something to be cautious of...

I'm not fully up-to-speed with Nstar's monitoring setup, but I recall one case of mixed monitoring where (IIRC) running DSLStats at 1 minute intervals caused a noticeable dip in SNRM as measured by RouterStatsLite at 5 second intervals.... Yes: one reading in 12 on RSL was 0.5dB lower than the other 11, and coincided with the timestamp of the DSLstats operation.

It wasn't at all obvious why.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 12:17:11 AM »

I'm not fully up-to-speed with Nstar's monitoring setup, . . .

A R-Pi, connected to a Billion 8800NL and running DSLstats. The latter is responsible for the upload to MDWS.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything