Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Good article on indian scam call centres  (Read 3428 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Good article on indian scam call centres
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39177981

I seriously doubt it is specific to Talk Talk, but still interesting.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:56:00 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Good article on indian scam call centres
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »

Not sure why you doubt it's TalkTalK? One of my acquaintances suffered from the scam described by TalkTalk linked from your link
Remember, the common tactics are:

Saying they're from your Broadband Supplier or a Tech Support Company
    Saying you've got a technical problem, such as a faulty router and your computer has been hacked
    Asking you to press Windows and R and type EVENTVR
    Trying to scare you by showing a list of errors, which are actually quite normal
    Asking you to visit a website that lets them access your computer, such as TeamViewer.com
    Advising that you're due a refund for a technical problem
    Telling you they’ve transferred too much money and ask you to send it back, generally using Western Union or Money Gram

Then that's it, your money is gone!

They lost £2000  :'(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »

Not sure why you doubt it's TalkTalK?

I don't doubt it involves Talk Talk, but I doubt it only involves Talk Talk. 

I also get fairly convincing calls from Indan scammers, probably two-three a week.   They always address by the name of my better half,  and they quote her full postal address and phone number.   But she has never had anything at all to do with Talk Talk.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:22:11 PM »

Although I'm sure it does not ONLY involve TalkTalk customers I can assure you as a TT customer I get between 1 and 3 calls per day  at least from these Indian call centres saying they are form TT, and banning the numbers is futile as they spoof the caller ID. The difference now is that when you politely ask them to stop calling you get a tirade of four letter abuse and even from the women calling not just the men. This is getting both ridiculous and serious, if one of these guys were answered by my wife she would be very upset to get such abuse for no good reason.

I have been trying to get TT to restrict all calls to my home phone from overseas but they are not responding. Next is to complain to the CEO - AGAIN, and then to OFCOM. There is no reason TT customers should have to put up with this. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »

Interestingly, the scam virus calls I get these days nearly always claim to be from BT.  Which is nearly right, as they have better half's name and we do indeed have a BT landline in her name.

But our broadband/dial-up has always been in my name not hers, and has never been with BT.