Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC Weather App and forecast updating  (Read 11400 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
BBC Weather App and forecast updating
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »

Wifey likes to use the app on her IPad. However, when she looked up our nearest location just now the data was nearly 12 hours old, as were several nearish options. Yet, another location she has interest in is much more u.t.d. The problem is one-off.

Is this purely a BBC thing, or something she can deal with, say by forcing an update? My quick look revealed nothing.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: BBC Weather App and forecast updating
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »

Hi renluop

I believe the only thing you can do on the app to force an update (go live if not live already) is to clear the app cache of the app your using

If this still shows the same, then the issue will be on the hosting servers

Many thanks

John

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: BBC Weather App and forecast updating
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »

I'm not sure how often these forecasts are updated. What I do know is that the BBC announced a while back that they are dropping the UK Met Office in favour of a commercial forecaster and it was to do with the app I believe. I have both the BBC and UKMO apps on my android phone but the most useful app I use is Rain Alarm (dont know if it is for Ipads as well) which gives the radar rain images around your location on a map.

I do run my own weather station and do my own forecasts as well which are pretty good for my local area. People have to realise that most forecasts on apps and TV etc are general for a quite large area and therefore often inaccurate for local areas with their own micro climate which we do have here in Thanet. The UKMO do use local amateurs to send in weather data (not just photos like the BBC weather watchers seems to be all about), my own station reports about every 10 minutes to the UKMO WOW service.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything