Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: G.Inp on ECI Possibly Delayed  (Read 55585 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.Inp on ECI Possibly Delayed
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

@smallal, we've also since found out that the 20th Oct is just one cab for XdB
If all goes well, expanded to 50k lines in Dec, so bit of an anticlimax really.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »

Can anyone help with the current situation of Ginp on ECI cabinets?  Is it still 60k users by Dec 17 and all users by Mar 18? (Or was I dreaming this).  TIA

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

Whilst I have no proof to back it up I did  hear that the rollout did re-start and supposedly is in progess..strange though that not seen any lines on mdws re-enabled yet. Supposedly OR doing 10k a day but read into it what you wish as until we see a re-activation I don't know wether to believe it or not.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »

Do BT usually go exchange by exchange or could the 10k/day be split across multiple exchanges? 

Assuming 50 users per cab that would be 200 cabs per day.  Assuming 25 cabs per exchange that would be 8 exchanges per day.  Call it 10 exchanges per day with 5500 exchanges that would be 550 days!

Any better guesses how long the rollout will take? 

Anyone with contact able to hint on whether the rollout is taking place or not ;)

TIA
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:04:33 PM by ktz392837 »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

Again don't know how accurate this is but mentioned it would be  completed by March 2018.. .. (that's assuming the rollout is actually underway)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »

Last info I received was it was still postponed. No rollout is currently happening.

edit: to add to that...

Openreach ECI Retransmission Trial DELAYED | BB-3087-17

Last updated date: 08/09/2017
It never restarted since that update.

Only news I've seen since then was Andy over on TBB saying the rollout was underway, but he didn't even know about the above delayed update. His info contradicted himself.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:30:25 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »

Assuming 50 users per cab that would be 200 cabs per day.  Assuming 25 cabs per exchange that would be 8 exchanges per day.  Call it 10 exchanges per day with 5500 exchanges that would be 550 days!
There's more than an average of 50 users per cabinet. Seeing as the ECI cabinets were part of the early commercial rollout they are likely the fullest cabinets.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »

There's more than an average of 50 users per cabinet. Seeing as the ECI cabinets were part of the early commercial rollout they are likely the fullest cabinets.

8.6m users, on 84k cabinets, so average now just over 100 users per cab.

But, since ECI barely figured in the BDUK rollout, ECI might have made 40% of the 52k commercial cabs - so perhaps 21k cabs.

If they have average takeup, they'd home 2 million subs. If we expect them to be fuller, and allow 150 subs per cab, then we have just over 3 million ECI subs.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2017, 12:11:25 AM »

With that number perhaps nothing being reported on MDWS yet is expected.  I wonder how many ECI users are listed divided by 21k can't be that high of a percent covered by MDWS.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »

was hauwei only first 1/3 rollout, then mostly eci middle of rollout and mostly hauwei the final 1/3 of rollout

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »

Oh dear... further long wait to come by the looks of it..:(

This is with permission from a chief engineer within  openreach who I have had previous contact with before specifically about g.inp on eci...

""The ECI G.INP functionality has been included in a new trial on ECI equipment. The Trial is looking to reduce the SNRM on certain lines where this does not impact on performance. G.INP has been included in that trial. The application of retransmission on ECI cabs is currently in trail on circa 30000 lines across the country. The trial will run for several months to truly assess the impact before a decision is made on whether to deploy to a further Pilot and then nationally. Given previous experience I expect we will be taking a cautious approach""

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »

Oh dear... further long wait to come by the looks of it..:(

This is with permission from a chief engineer within  openreach who I have had previous contact with before specifically about g.inp on eci...

""The ECI G.INP functionality has been included in a new trial on ECI equipment. The Trial is looking to reduce the SNRM on certain lines where this does not impact on performance. G.INP has been included in that trial. The application of retransmission on ECI cabs is currently in trail on circa 30000 lines across the country. The trial will run for several months to truly assess the impact before a decision is made on whether to deploy to a further Pilot and then nationally. Given previous experience I expect we will be taking a cautious approach""

Oh no. This looks like it'll be well over a year before any possibility, two or more if there's further issues (or never). By the time G.INP is rolled out to ECI G.fast might be the the next technology available for many. ECI is a complete failure for Openreach it seems. What I don't understand is why they need several months to assess it, surely 3 months of data is adequate?

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »

Is there any way of asking to be one of the trial lines..

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »

ECI is a complete failure for Openreach it seems.

It is certainly a complete breakdown of trust. BT simply don't trust ECI's quality control processes - that what they say they've fixed is actually fixed and tested. *And* that they haven't broken something else.

The current test cycle (s l oooooo w) is a consequence.

What I don't understand is why they need several months to assess it, surely 3 months of data is adequate?

I believe that BT employ a network freeze for Christmas - quite possibly for the entirety of December.

In a test like this, then, they need to be able to roll out the change, and be happy it finished successfully, while still allowing enough time to undo the rollout completely before the freeze starts.

From the most recent report, I suspect that BT have decided they're happy to leave "a few" running over winter, and will aim to rollout properly next year. In the meantime, ECI probably get to do a fair statistical analysis on the outcome.

Aside: (The reports on progress earlier this autumn actually made me doubt "the freeze", as it looked certain that BT would have to run into this period. I'm "relieved" to hear the current status, at least as far as my understanding of BT's behaviour goes).

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »

Here we are in 2018, still waiting for BT to sort this out!
It should only have taken months, not years, to fix but that's BT for you.
Lets face it, ECI should have been forced to redesign & supply new cards for the cabinets.
And still we wait, has the trial restarted yet?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17