Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Choice of Modem  (Read 3939 times)

dave1510

Choice of Modem
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:51:10 PM »

HI,

First time on these forums - I ned some advice on modems.

A relative of mine has a "Spped touch" modem connected to his PC via a USB connection. He is buying another PC (Laptop) and wants to connect both to the internet via a router.

I did think we could connect his modem to a router as per http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/equip.htm (This is exactly the type of modem he has - as ilustrated on this page)

Is this possible - Some people have said it is possible & I have also been told it's not possible to connect a router to this type of Modem.

So, now,... I'm totaly confused.
(and can't add an smiley either!!)

Thanx :)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Choice of Modem
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »

You cannot connect a USB modem to a router. It isn't even necessary, since you cana purchase a router with ADSL modem built in. This is the most common hardware used for networked ADSL access and is often referred to as an ADSL gateway or router. This is what you really want.

The Speedtouch can be kept for a backup, since it can be used on a laptop in a powercut (USB powered - assuming the DSL equipment at the exchange is also on the backup batteries?).

No doubt others will also suggest an ADSL router/gateway is your best choice.

warmadmax

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:54:19 PM »

I had heard stories of connecting specific usb modems to certain routers,
but by far the simpliest solution would deffinatly be an Adsl router which as soms has said, has an adsl modem built in,

does your laptop have a wireless connection? if so you could get a router with a wireless accesspoint built in.

then you can do the ultimate laziness and surf from your sofa :D

DG834 is a router with 4 network connections link
DG834G is the same as above but also has wireless built inlink

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:26:22 PM »

Hi
There are a couple of ethernet modems that can be attached to a router but not many.
The speedtouch 330 is a usb modem which cant connect to a router so you need to purchase a combined adsl modem router which will connect to the PC via a network card (ethernet).
If a laptop is also involved then your best best would be an adsl wireless router and you set up would be something similar to this

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/wireless.htm

Theres a vast choice of adsl routers available on the market depending on your budget.
One of the ones I most commonly recommend is the Netgear DG834G - its pretty reliable and has a good interface for a newcomer to routers.
The last time I looked the cheapest place to purchase it was amazon who were selling it with a free usb wireless adapter.

If this is a bit more than your budget... or you have a specific router in mind, ask on here and we will tell you if its right for the job, as its easy to purchase a cable router by mistake (something Ive known PCWorld recommend more than once) :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave1510

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:30:10 PM »

Wow,

Thanks for all that useful information.

Especially the diagram..

Also I like being able to see all the posts while I reply, not just the last one, or the one I have selected Reply to.

Now going to search for adsl modem routers.

Thanx :D

anything