Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is my Zyxel VMG8924-B10A faulty ?  (Read 11451 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Is my Zyxel VMG8924-B10A faulty ?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »

Thanks for the update into internal power issue then it would be one of these boys in the picture below "capacitors" in the DC voltage input stage of the circuit

spotter

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »

I think i read about them, probably in this thread, I'll see what they come back with and if they just send me a new one then i might have to get the screwdriver out and see if i can give myself a shock off one of the capacitors  :o
That Netgear D7000 looks a bit saucy !

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 11:14:56 PM »

i might have to get the screwdriver out and see if i can give myself a shock off one of the capacitors  :o

Not with 5V caps a wee tingle with a 12v one but your average modem/router will step down the voltage to 5V which most electronics use these days

capacitors are used to smooth out DC variables, Power supply voltage can sometimes supply erratic and unsmooth voltages that fluctuate greatly and if one capacitor is faulty in the chain it will effect the whole circuit.

spotter

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

Should be ok then, i remember years ago my neighbour taking apart his old TV bless him and he took it out in the back garden to make sure it couldn't get plugged in while he was taking it apart.

He had the back off and touched his screwdriver on something and got a whack which made him jump backwards which he then thought it must be discharged and tried it again and got another whack which sent a shock up his arm and he had a burn mark on his elbow for some reason !
He hen put it back together and it didn't work at all after that..lesson learned  :)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »

Hi

Not with 5V caps a wee tingle with a 12v one but your average modem/router will step down the voltage to 5V which most electronics use these days

capacitors are used to smooth out DC variables, Power supply voltage can sometimes supply erratic and unsmooth voltages that fluctuate greatly and if one capacitor is faulty in the chain it will effect the whole circuit.

Whilst they are used as smoothing that was more applicable to old transformer driven devices, these days it's a bit more than that and they are used for decoupling and reducing the impedance of the copper tracks due to way the chips work.  So the circuit sees all it's power coming from a power source that is just a centimeter or two away from a capacitor with little distance the current needs to travel, and as each main circuit has it's own capacitors, they are effectively decoupled from each other.

You need to make sure replacement capacitors are of a low series resistance type (LSR), the lower the better, and a general purpose "smoothing" type capacitor will not suffice.

Regards

Phil

spotter

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »

ok thanks, i have not heard any more since i sent the RMA, i am guessing it is just going through the system ....

spotter

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »

Ok so here's the update.
Started the RMA, had a reply saying the router was out of warranty so I emailed the receipt I got from Stuff.co.uk showing i purchased it in April 2015 so Zyxel promptly reinstated the warranty and asked me to complete another RMA. I did that and I had an email telling me to post it off to a repair centre in Scotland and within 2 days I got a reply saying my unit was being returned and a brand new unit turned up today, although having a 2 pin shaver plug on the power adapter which wasn't a problem as I had an adapter.
It is connected and up and running and all seems to be good so all in all, although the support process takes a while, I am very happy with the communication and support from Zyxel and thank you to all of you for your help  :thumbs:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »

. . . having a 2 pin shaver plug on the power adapter . . .

Hmm . . . They have sent you a European PSU rather than the correct UK version. I would be inclined to notify them of the mistake.  :-\

It is connected and up and running and all seems to be good so all in all, although the support process takes a while, I am very happy with the communication and support from Zyxel and thank you to all of you for your help  :thumbs:

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything