Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Smart TV  (Read 10047 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Smart TV
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 11:54:47 PM »

Enjoy your new toy, BS.

I'm looking forwards to hearing real life pros and cons of your chosen TV.   Envious already though, I'm sure you'll like it. :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »

I wasn't criticising your choice of size, just saying that 4K gives little, if any, viewing benefit over Full HD! As before: Enjoy!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »

Thanks lads.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »

im the odd one out then with my basic 1080p 32 inch samsung va tv :)

oled indeed is very good quality just be aware tho it decays faster then lcd tech
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:38:39 AM by Chrysalis »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »

While 43" might not be large enough to get the full benefit from a 4k resolution, I'm sure the screen will be offering plenty from the improvements in colour & contrast that come alongside the resolution in UHD.

A cardboard cutout? That's going beyond the call of duty  :-[

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »

Ha ha ................. both myself and my wife struggled to visualise the size of the item, just using a tape-measure.
As I mentioned, the room is not very large and where the TV is positioned it has to be just right or to say it would look ridiculous is an under-statement !!  ;D ;D

So, the only way to get a true representation was to fashion a cardboard screen ...... I didn't bother with the stand though  ;) ;D.

All-in-all, the 43" size is absolutely perfect for us ..... along with what the set has to offer, after taking into consideration a million reviews, suggestions and 'must-have's'.
Of course, the bottom-line is always money ..... and it really does seem to be value for the money we have paid. Believe me, you can go daft with this TV malarkey .... I know, as I was slowly getting sucked into the proper high-end stuff. Had to give my head a wobble.  :-X

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »

I've recently discovered another advantage of 4k, it is great for still photos.

I recently got a decent new camera with a 20 megapixel sensor, not long back from a short holiday where I got to play with it a lot.   After a bit of editing the holiday snaps go onto a media server that allows them to be viewed in 4k on the TV, and inflicted on visiting family.

The interesting thing is, when looking at a printed photo with lots of detail, like an interesting landscape, and something catches the eye, people tend to hold it closer.   On a TV I've noticed the equivalent - people will get up from a chair and move closer to the screen to make out the detail, at which point the extra pixels make all the difference.  :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »

im the odd one out then with my basic 1080p 32 inch samsung va tv :)

oled indeed is very good quality just be aware tho it decays faster then lcd tech
Mine is an 8 y.o. 32" Panny HDReady model. I keep hinting to wife that a new 40" 1080p would only be minimally larger, and better. She won't bite! is less likely too now, as dish needs re-siting and replacing because of trees.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 12:25:06 AM »

I started by buying a 49" Philips Android smart TV with Ambilight - would have been a great TV but I heavily use streaming under Android and about two or three times a day Android would crash and a reboot was necessary, a real shame Philips didn't iron out all the bugs. So I sold that and bought a Hisense 65" 4K which had a fantastic review on Avforums. Got it from a price match John Lewis did, 5 year guarantee as well.

I love the TV, 4K was made for large screens, and no crashes - Android moved to a 4K Android TV MiBox(rock solid reliability compared to Philips). I'd also definitely say that 65" is really not that big - bigger than a typical TV but, believe it or not, it doesn't dominate the room, not much different to a 49" really.  :)

speedyrite

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 07:54:21 AM »

Waiting with interest for Black Sheep's review of and/or experiences with the Sony Bravia KD43XD8077 43 inch Android 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart TV (as the KD55XE9005 is under consideration here!)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »

Only installed it on Sunday, but I can absolutely confirm we love it !!! Bear in mind we have upgraded from a 7yr old (or thereabouts) Panasonic Viera, so anything would have shown a noticeable difference.  ;)

Due to personal circs at the minute (elderly care), I haven't had time to 'bugger about' with it ..... but I have found it very easy to get to grips with. As with all things new, it's the navigation of the device that is time-consuming, but after a couple of days the basics are soon picked up.

I have viewed a couple of freebie 4K/UHD vids and when this tech really takes off with the masses, it is easy to see why it would. It's like 'you're there' it's that clear/sharp.

Regarding size (oo-er). We have chosen the best set based upon what all the research suggests and it is absolutely fine. Any bigger and we would be having to look 'around' the screen, eyes dotting about all over, to see what was going on. With the sizing guide you see the whole screen in one go, if that makes sense ?? Bigger does not mean better in such circumstances.

My only regret is not buying a sound-bar at the same time. Whilst visiting my Mum she showed me the difference in sound with the bar off, and then on ..... again, it is very noticeable therefor a 'must have' in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, the in-built sound from the TV itself is adequate enough, just working on a cost-effective basis I think circa £150 for a sound-bar will benefit us.  :)

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »

Don't get me wrong, the in-built sound from the TV itself is adequate enough, just working on a cost-effective basis I think circa £150 for a sound-bar will benefit us.  :)

We have a three year old Sony Bravia and the sound out of the box was pretty poor.  The stand on ours is so low profile you can't put a sound bar in front of it, so we've now gone for a sound base option on the shelf below, which at least allows us to stack our Freeview recorder on top of it.

The sound is orders of magnitude better than the TV's.  Worth considering as an alternative to sound bars in my view.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything