Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Smart TV  (Read 10043 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Smart TV
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

My 19" Bush TV I have not long bought for £65 are good value.  ;D fits nicely on my desk.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »

This one looks good, and there's a whole £1000 reduction on the price. A real bargain. ::)

But the £45 installation is a rip off! :D Not that BS would need it.

I have read criticisms of Smart TVs; the limitations of the s/ware and how it quickly becomes victim of obsolescence. Being obliged by location to use satellite, I'm happy with my dumb TV and PVR. Even were Freeview a viable option, I think I'd be the same, as replacing PVR is cheaper.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »

This one looks good, and there's a whole £1000 reduction on the price. A real bargain. ::)
That's the one!  ;D  No, only joking, mine is 22 inches smaller.  ::)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »

The biggest elephant in the TV room is Viewing angle, having gone from a 37" Panasonic Plasma that I bought in 2008 to now LG OLED 55e6, no LED screen can match the 'sit anywhere in the room' without some compromise.
The B6 version is the same but no sound bar, and much cheaper.
And your right Severnlayer, misses went very quiet  :o ,now it's in the room she's got used to it. It may be 4K but it doe's a grand job on low res tv channels.
My £50 Sony bluray player is stunning when watching the Martian and Blade Runner. Anyone watch channel 998 on Freesat? that's in 4K.
Phillips have now joined the OLED camp.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »

It always makes me wary when I see price cuts and start to wonder why and how can they afford these type of cuts/discounts but in this instance it's fairly plain to see because at £23,999.00 what MUG is going to be paying that sort of price.

Then we have the situation of if they can afford to reduce prices then:
a) are they still making a profit and 
b) it must have been overpriced to start with.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »

I agree with those last points, but that's how lots of companies run their businesses, giving people the illusion of big discounts. The big furniture companies have been doing it for years.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »

Aren't there supposed to be some rules to prevent that; something like on sale at **** store for ** days at the higher price?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »

The rules are very lax. I think I'm right in saying that a chain can meet the 'Sale' condition by offering the product in question at the higher price in one of their stores only, for a period of six weeks.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »

Fwiw, my own hope for OLED would be improved control of black levels and detail in dark areas, which has always been a huge weakness of LCD tvs, including those that call themselves LED.   Better viewing angles would be nice, but black levels are the feature I'd be paying pay for, were I to shell out on OLED.

There's been fudges in recent years to address LCD(/LED) black levels, like 'local dimming', but I personally have never been impressed.   In fact I have local dimming disabled on my current Panasonic as the local dimming artefacts annoy me even more than the problem (milky blacks) they it is trying to fix.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »

Apols for consecutive posts, but it just occurred to me that OLED might suffer from burn-in, meaning I'd have to avoid pillar-boxed or letter-boxed programmes.  It kind of makes sense, because all LEDs lose intensity over time.  Trouble is, I want to see things in the aspect ratio the maker intended, 4:3 pillar boxed for old Dad's Army episodes, and extreme wideangle letter boxed for newer movies.

A quick google suggests burn-in may indeed be a problem.  Any further thoughts on OLED burn-in, anybody?

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »

I haven't noticed any such effects on my set so far, but I tend not to watch content with persistent static images. Apparently LG OLED sets have systems to mitigate any nasties as detailed here http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability (scroll down a little).
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »

I bought a "smart" Sony Bravia a few years ago. It still works well as a TV, but the "smart" facilities were pretty dumb at the outset.

My advice:
Buy the best TV you can afford, with as many HDMI inputs that you can get. Ignore any "smart" facilities.
Use external "set top" boxes to supply the smarts.
Expect a cabling explosion. Almost everything will want internet and power connections.

Do not make the mistake I recently made and assume that a 4K monitor can act as a 4K TV. Mine does not support HDCP 2.2.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »

Well ............ after much research (enough to cabbage ones brain), and various recommendations from both review sites and real-life people who breathe air  ::) ....... we have decided to run with the Sony Bravia KD43XD8077 43 inch Android 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart TV .

It ticks all the boxes for us personally, and is reasonably priced.

It will be with us on Sunday, so I'd like everyone to be logged onto kitz for when I need assistance switching it on !!  :-\ :) :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »

Will be interesting to have your report how beneficial 4K is @43"! Some say 43" is too small.

Anyhow, enjoy! :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 10:26:08 PM »

Like I said, Ren ............. I've done my research and for my small lounge, 43" is actually 3" more than the recommended viewing screen.
Believe me, 49" would look slightly ridiculous, I've even gone to the trouble of cutting a template out of cardboard to see what it would look like.  :no:

You may have gleaned from my posts on this forum, I'm far from anal about these things. If the picture is better than our current one (which it is, hands down), then I (or should I say, we), are more than happy with it. I'll probably only use 25-50% of it's 'Smart' capability as well ......

Different strokes for different folks, I think the saying goes, my friend ??  ;) :) :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything