Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Convincing fake invoice  (Read 5831 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Convincing fake invoice
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »

Perssonally, I still feel much safer with my Mac than either windows or Linux boxes.   

Not sure I understand why you feel Mac OSX is better than Linux since a whole load of it under the covers is in fact Linux. Security on Linux when properly set up is pretty good, certainly better than Windows.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »

Not sure I understand why you feel Mac OSX is better than Linux since a whole load of it under the covers is in fact Linux. Security on Linux when properly set up is pretty good, certainly better than Windows.

Stuart

Actually it is more Unix under the skin, rather than Linux.

I do agree though that the pecking order in terms of scurity would be from Microsoft (least secure) to either OS X or Linux at the other end.   Both OS X and Linux are good choices for the security conscious, imho.

I personally choose OS X, largely based on a personal hunch/mistrust that the Linux 'open' model is just too open, with no real vetting of the skills of the authors.   Much of OS X is open source too but, unlike Linux, a major and reputable vendor is willing to act as software publisher, and to take respnsibility as commercial entity with whom the buck stops if things go wrong.

I emphasise again though, I do respect Linux, my OS X allegiance is largely a personal thing. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »

Sevenlayermuddle speaks wisdom. I just lie about my email address, or give a real address of another one of my mailboxes which is disposable in the sense that I just delete it when it starts to receive nuisance email.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »

All good practice, Weaver.

Another closely telated problem of course is harvesting of phone numbers.   And sometimes, websites won't take an order, or a hotel booking, unless you give a phone number, "just in case there is a problem".   Rubbish.  They  want your phone number because it is of commercial resale value, especially as they will also be able to sell the name and address associated with it.

My own tactic then is to simply omit the last digit.  Much better than giving a made-up number that might actually belong to some other poor soul, yet still ensures the data harvester will be frustrated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]