Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Strange results over multiple km and some cabinet anomalies ?  (Read 3365 times)

Roxy

Solved, thank you
============

Hello kids, my absence and silence from the forums since my BT FTTC issues (if you don't know of them already, I won't ruin your day by sharing the pain), has been due to eventually gaining some connection stability. Though were never fully resolved, it was a stress I could no longer keep in my life, so I learned to live with it.

However a new chapter is opening and I'll be moving to a place that will (depending on which home/area I land in) either offer Virgin Cable or FTTC.

My purpose here today is to share some of those FTTC capable locales and have any of you kind individuals help me understand some possible anomalies(?).

Firstly, I based this around the cabinet checker https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx and also BT's service checker http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker/

For the following addresses, I found that there were multiple cabinets involved and the speed over distance was to my understanding, too good to be true.

49 Juniper road, Red Lodge, IP28 8TX  connects to cabinet 11 which is roughly 3.59km away. Advertising 56-76mbps, minimum guaranteed 53mbps
32 Thistle Way, Red Lodge, IP28 8FR connects to cabinet 11 which is roughly 3.61km away. Advertising 53-74mbps,  minimum guaranteed 49mbps
12 Gorse Close, Red Lodge, IP28 8LH connects to cabinet 3 which is roughly 3.06km away. Advertising 44-62mbps,  minimum guaranteed 39mbps
5 Carnation way, Red Lodge, IP28 8TN connects to cabinet 6 which is roughly 2.90km away. Advertising 77-80mbps, minimum guaranteed 71mbps

1. The cabinet location for 11, 3 and 6 are the same, at (approximately) 47 Station Road, New Market, CB8 7QD.
  • Are there multiple cabinets at that location? Or is this a misprint?
  • If so, how many are there and where are the rest of them? i.e. 1,2, 4-6, 7-11
  • Why are homes that are less than .20km away from another home in the same town, achieving only 2/3 of the speed as the other? 44-62 vs 77-80?

There's a lot of properties in Red Lodge, so I expected there to be at least 10 cabinets or more. What I cannot fathom is why they are all clustered together(I have never seen that before) at such long distances? The point of having multiple cabinets is to give the best (closest) coverage to various areas. Sticking in the same spot seems like a lazy way for OpenReach to service them, at the expense of performance to the customers.

From what I can see on the maps, those cabinet locations on Station Road, are closer to Kentford (and to some extent) Moulton to the south. It makes me curious if the cabinet map is accurate.

2. How can any copper connection (even if using VDSL2 or ADLS2+ LLU) achieve the numbers in the examples I gave above in a real world scenario?

• VDSL2 / ADSL2+ LLU can only go so far; 77mbps or higher at 2.90km seems highly unlikely and 56mbps or higher at 3.59km is even more wild
  • How does a property in the same neighborhood area (39mbps) lose nearly 15mbps and yet is also half a kilometer closer to the cabinet? I presume it wouldn't, though note that this is the address (Gorse Close) showing a different cabinet number. If the cabinets are really separate and sitting side by side, then that means cabinet 3 has faults or some serious cross talk issues. Otherwise the closer, should technically be better (putting aside any terrible issues with the copper lines themselves, yet this performance result is true of all the addresses in that area).

I understand that no distance is often as the crow flies when it comes to cable run, therefore the above figures are even more impressive. Unfortunately I have no statistics such as noise margin and attenuation, though would imagine that a copper or mixed copper run of nearly 4km would bring you down to old school DSL/ADSL speeds of sub 10mbps.

Any insight is welcome.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:24:33 PM by Roxy »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: [SOLVED] Strange results over multiple km and some cabinet anomalies ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »

49 Juniper road, Red Lodge, IP28 8TX  connects to cabinet 11 which is roughly 3.59km away. Advertising 56-76mbps, minimum guaranteed 53mbps
32 Thistle Way, Red Lodge, IP28 8FR connects to cabinet 11 which is roughly 3.61km away. Advertising 53-74mbps,  minimum guaranteed 49mbps
12 Gorse Close, Red Lodge, IP28 8LH connects to cabinet 3 which is roughly 3.06km away. Advertising 44-62mbps,  minimum guaranteed 39mbps
5 Carnation way, Red Lodge, IP28 8TN connects to cabinet 6 which is roughly 2.90km away. Advertising 77-80mbps, minimum guaranteed 71mbps

1. The cabinet location for 11, 3 and 6 are the same, at (approximately) 47 Station Road, New Market, CB8 7QD.

Have you made use of Magenta Systems CodeLook pages to obtain those details?

If yes, please be aware that the distance quoted is from the DP to the serving telephony exchange.

47 Station Road, New Market, CB8 7QD

As for the above location, it is more correctly described as "47 Station Road, Kentford, CB8 7QD" and I can confirm that there most definitely is not a cluster of three cabinets situated there!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:42:25 PM »

I think you've got the location of your cabinets very wrong indeed.

Cab 6 is located in the same postcode as 5 Carnation Way.

Use the BT Wholesale Checker (the full address option) and just enter the postcode, that will give a list and you can see the DSLAM listed.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput#

Use Code Lookup and you can see all 19 cabs for Kentford

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=160192&cabinets=12747

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Roxy

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »

Have you made use of Magenta Systems CodeLook pages to obtain those details?

If yes, please be aware that the distance quoted is from the DP to the serving telephony exchange.

As for the above location, it is more correctly described as "47 Station Road, Kentford, CB8 7QD" and I can confirm that there most definitely is not a cluster of three cabinets situated there!

Yes, and I for a time considered that the distance the Openreach site was providing, was to the exchange and not the cabinet. If so, my mistake.

I think you've got the location of your cabinets very wrong indeed.

Cab 6 is located in the same postcode as 5 Carnation Way.

Use the BT Wholesale Checker (the full address option) and just enter the postcode, that will give a list and you can see the DSLAM listed.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput#

Use Code Lookup and you can see all 19 cabs for Kentford

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=160192&cabinets=12747

I stopped using the DSL checker because it wouldn't return FTTC capable results - looks like I was using the 'postcode' and not the 'address' checker.
After switching to your linked version, I can see the results match the BT product site.

Still, none of the sites tell the distance to the cabinets - only exchange.

Also, I tried using an address a bit up north, 4 OAK DRIVE, BECK ROW, BURY ST EDMUNDS, IP28 8UA on the DSL checker and it tells me they offer FTTP(looks like cabinet is on the same street) ; yet I cannot find this on the BT product website results. Is FTTP only by request, meaning the line might not be there? Is it different in some way to FTTC line?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:22:39 PM by Roxy »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »

Also, I tried using an address a bit up north, 4 OAK DRIVE, BECK ROW, BURY ST EDMUNDS, IP28 8UA on the DSL checker and it tells me they offer FTTP(looks like cabinet is on the same street) ; yet I cannot find this on the BT product website results. Is FTTP only by request, meaning the line might not be there? Is it different in some way to FTTC line?

This isn't native FTTP - it's Fibre on Demand. This effectively means it's not there at the moment and to get it installed would likely involve a largish installation charge and a high monthly payment in a long (multi year) contract - if you could find an ISP to offer it to you.

Roxy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »

This isn't native FTTP - it's Fibre on Demand. This effectively means it's not there at the moment and to get it installed would likely involve a largish installation charge and a high monthly payment in a long (multi year) contract - if you could find an ISP to offer it to you.

Understood, thank you.

Well I guess this is 'solved' then!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:02 PM »

No site will give distance to the cabinet, even on Codelook the cabinet position is not accurate.

Best way is to get it's approximate location, use speed estimates to get closer, and finally Google Street view to spot the PCP and possibly the DSLAM dependant on when google visited and the cab was installed. You can then use google to estimate the distance, as you won't know the exact route the line takes.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »

You could try https://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=Home though as others say, the results may not be 100% correct

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

My postcode is 88 miles from my cabinet apparently

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »

My postcode is 88 miles from my cabinet apparently

So's Weavers. He he he  ;) ;D ;D