Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: DSLStats Docker  (Read 26454 times)

sincx

• Just arrived
Re: DSLStats Docker
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »

Dear Nallar ,

Would it be possible for you to update your Docker image to the latest DSLStats version - the additional logging duration and storage would be a great help !

Thanks sincx

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

Updated to 6.5. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21323.0.html

The webserver configuration has changed in this version. The default directory has moved from "webserver" to "Webserver", and capitalisation matters on linux.

It should automatically rename the webserver directory to have a capital 'W' when the container starts.
Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2018, 08:14:06 PM »

Updated to 6.5. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21323.0.html

The webserver configuration has changed in this version. The default directory has moved from "webserver" to "Webserver", and capitalisation matters on linux.

It should automatically rename the webserver directory to have a capital 'W' when the container starts.

Up and running here, Ross.  I had a few issues because I forget about mapping the /config docker folder to a folder on my Mac hard drive.  Now done and the web files are appearing in the same folder as before: webserver.  Not sure whether that is expected or not?

i haven't seen any of the saved stats yet, but I've configured those to save once daily, so will look again tomorrow.

Thanks for updating the Docker container.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »

I've just upgrade by MAC to Mojave, seemingly without issue until I noticed that Kitematic had failed to create a VM for the DSL Stats docker to run in.

Despite having rebooted the Mac and upgraded Docker for Mac, Kitematic refuses to run

I am now unable to run DSLStats, which is a major bummer!!

Anybody any ideas on how to get around this issue, as I'm stumped?!

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 10:27:23 PM »

Got it working using Docker for Mac and trawling over old threads to recall how to run the docker container.  I'm not 100% sure I've got it writing to the correct folder but will have to wait until midnight to check it is writing correctly.

This would have been so much easier if I still had some screenshots of the configuration in the Kitematic container.

Just proving to myself what a technophobe I am! ;)

russellhq

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »

I'm new to docker so could be doing something wrong  :-[ But I can't get this to work

I'm running this on a Pi3 with Docker installed and here's what happens when I run the command:

Code: [Select]
pi@hassbian:~ $ sudo docker run -d --name=dslstats1 --net=bridge -p 5900:5900/tcp -p 8080:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="123456789" -v /home/pi/dslstats:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro rossallan/dslstats
aaf537d450f8094eb57e462838530bd2b9c5f952946dd8829d4473201795ecfa
pi@hassbian:~ $

It looks like it does something but when I try to connect via VNC (Chrome extension or tightVNC) over port 5900 I get a "can't connect" error. Is there something simple I'm missing here?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2018, 10:45:27 PM »

Why are you using Docker to run DSLstats on a Pi?
  Eric

russellhq

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2018, 10:49:46 PM »

Good question.

I want to run DSLStats 24/7, the only piece of hardware I have to do that is the Pi. My Pi is set up for something else which means it does not have a display set up so I can't configure DSLStats the conventional way.

Running it in Docker will set up a display for me which I can connect to via VNC which means I don't have to mess about trying to set up a display on the Pi and connect it to the TV. It seemed like the simplest solution, unfortunately I cannot get it to work  :-X

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:46 PM »

Lots of folk on here run DSLstats on a headless Pi, and connect using RealVNC, which is built into the latest Raspbian.

RealVNC creates a virtual desktop, and DSLstats runs on that. It's very simple!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:56:54 PM by Westie »

russellhq

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2018, 10:59:54 PM »

Thanks, I'm running a modified version of Raspbian called Hassbian. I'm not sure if VNC is on it, nor what the package name is to install it . Even if I did get it installed, I don't think an X session is running so there would be nothing to VNC to...

nallar's docker container is supposed to sort all that out but I can't get it to work yet

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »

OK. In that case I'm afraid I cannot help. I know nothing about Hassbian or Docker. Sorry.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »

> Lots of folk on here run DSLstats on a headless Pi

That’s really good to know. If I can ever get some help getting my own local Raspberry Pi going again, then I could definitely use this technique if I can speak VNC on my iPad.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »

I could definitely use this technique if I can speak VNC on my iPad.

VNC Connect (a server) comes bundled with Raspbian, and can be enabled with a click. VNC Viewer (a client) is a free app on the Apple app store. I have 3 Pi's which I monitor/control from the iPad. Details are here.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »

Just wanted to express my gratitude for this. I learned docker specifically so I could take advantage of this as I've heard of it a lot at my work, but my job role does not necessitate the requirement to learn docker.

However, as I was running 3 x 2GB RAM VM's for a few DSLstats VM's, I was able to bin all three and just run them in containers. Well, one of them I sacked off entirely, but now having 2 docker containers makes much more sense.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »

It looks like it does something but when I try to connect via VNC (Chrome extension or tightVNC) over port 5900 I get a "can't connect" error. Is there something simple I'm missing here?

This docker container won't work for ARM devices, the raspberry pi is one.
Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6