Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: DSLStats Docker  (Read 26436 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: DSLStats Docker
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 06:16:05 PM »

ahh fair enough.
I guess a VM would still work right?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »

ahh fair enough.
I guess a VM would still work right?

Yep, a VM would work, but Docker is usually much lighter weight, and things like Synology don't often give you scope to run a full VM

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »

Glad you managed to sort it out. Sorry I wasn't around to be of more assistance!

Andy.

No worries, Andy.

There was a lot of trial and error involved, but I got there in the end.

To be honest once I'd realised that you could pull down Ross' latest version of dslstats down via the Kitematic front end and configure it from within Kitematic I knew I was on the home straight.

There was a final twist in the tail as I couldn't get the app to appear in VNC.  I had been using localhost which then refused to work, but I could see within Kitematic the IP address / port combination the app was being published on, even if it took me several attempts to work out the syntax required by the VNC client(s)!!

It all seems so much simpler in hindsight now I understand the solution.

I couldn't walk away without making sure your command based solution also worked, which was very much smooth sailing in comparison.

A personal vote of thanks to both Andy and Ross for their help as I would never have got there without you and  a quick mention to my missus for not getting too peed off with me for spending several hours in 'dog with a bone' mode on a Bank Holiday.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »

I am struggling to understand the benefit of running this in a docker? I am not a fan of docker anyway, but whats the purpose of what you guys are doing?  I mean I assume the machine thats hosting the docker could just run dslstats directly right with less complications?

In my case, I'm running on an iMac and whilst I could run DSLStats under Wine the telnet connection generally failed within 3 minutes or so.  I'm guessing it is down to the simulation slowing the telnet handshaking down.

I have no programming background, so an easy to use application is the best for me.  The Kitematic front end makes running the docker container relatively simple, once someone (Ross) has done the donkey work of creating it.

Whether it was worthwhile in the end or not is questionable as I have an issue free line at the moment, but at least I know now that if I do have line issues in the future I can share my stats with you guys.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 12:24:25 AM »

Many thanks for this nallar.

Up and running on my QNAP TS-253A.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »

Has anything changed recently with the Synology/Docker package?

I had it running correctly a few days ago but had to partially rebuild my Synology. Now whenever I run the Docker package, dslstats fails with a segmentation fault. No other output at all, just the error message.

Wanted to make sure that the package was OK as I can't see anything wrong at my end, and it was working fine previously.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »

Appears that the latest automated build on Docker has some errors that aren't seen on previous builds?

https://hub.docker.com/r/rossallan/dslstats/builds/bgffbfe5tgmwdhwekqmjsmf/

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »

Hi Andy,

Not been running DSLStats for a few days, but just restarted it and all seems OK.  No error messages and everything presents as normal.  There was a Docker update that installed earlier today, but it doesn't seem to have had a negative impact here.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »

Fixed now by the developer. Was a bad build that had been published. He's also made the build more resilient to errors.

Really coincidental timing as only an hour or two earlier I'd installed Watchtower, which automatically updates docker images if the master version has been updated. If I hadn't installed that, it would have been running happily all along.

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »

Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »

Thanks, Ross.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »

How to install and use Docker on Windows -
Docker has created a tool that makes using their container software on Windows fairly simple.

The software in question is called Docker Toolbox. What this does is install all the necessary components that allow you to run Docker on Windows. Now, before you get too excited, don't think that Docker has actually ported their platform to Windows. They haven't. What Docker Toolbox does is install VirtualBox, Boot2Docker, and a special quick access terminal (that starts up the Boot2Docker virtual machine). Docker Toolbox does an outstanding job of this installation and making it easy for you to fire up Docker on your Windows machine
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-and-use-docker-on-windows/

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »

Just came across this post by mistake. Never knew such a container existed until now, thanks very much for making it! I've just got it running on my Synology RS815+ NAS, no longer running on my desktop PC. Will continue to use it while I'm still using the HG612 on my connection.

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »

Automatic DST change worked for me. We did have some problems initially with timezones though.

Did anyone have a problem with DST?
Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »

Yep, good for me on my Synology Docker.

Will you be doing an update to the latest Native App, downloaded within the docker package, when it comes out of beta?

Also, would it be possible to make the Docker instance pull new versions of the Native App if it is updated? I guess you would need some kind of support for knowing what was 'latest' from the site serving the App.

Thanks for all your work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything