Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where can I buy a junction box to use for spur wiring x4 ?  (Read 27504 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
Where can I buy a junction box to use for spur wiring x4 ?
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:41:06 PM »

Where (in the uk) can I find junction boxes that will allow me to create a spur wiring setup with 4 branches like in this page
http://www.diydata.com/projects/telephone_socket/telephone_sockets.php

I can't seem to find any that specifically say they are designed for this type of setup (punching down or screw tighten 4 wires in each connector)

eg http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16161&cat=260&page=1 would this work or is it only for joining 2 wires ? As the connectors are punch down , I doubt it would take 4 in one slot ?

Thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Where can I buy a junction box to use for spur wiring x4 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:44 PM »

You can get stuff like that in B&Q and Homebase.
  Eric

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:01:41 PM »

Ah, never thought of them. Thanks.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:12:44 PM »

Maplins £1.29
You only need a maximum of four terminals for the wires:
http://tinyurl.com/6f9jbk
The screw down connections would be better contacts than putting more than one wire into each pushdown  in a BT type connector.
dave 

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:10:12 AM »

If your using an IDC connection (insualtion displacement connector) the type where there is a slot over which the wire passes which with a small tool you push the wire home to connect (the same thing at the back of  the face plate of your bt master socket)

Do not terminate more than 3 wires in any one IDC, any more then you'll probably get an effect where the slot opens up causing some of the wires to have a partial connection (HR Dis or High resistance disconection) this may or may not have an effect on normal telephony, but with broadband on the line, you can get problems with tone dialing yet things work ok with pulse dialing (if you phone has pulse dialing)

You can get a block terminal (connection box) from diy stores about the size of a match box with 2 rows of eight connections numbered 1-8. no.1 on one side is connected to no.1 on the other etc. so allowing 6 wires to be connected together without problems

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »

OK, I got an 8 way idc punchdown junction box described on the front
"for distributing telephone cables around the house"

Am I missing something or is this not going to work.
It seems I could join 1 incoming to 2 outgoing (max of 3 in each punchdown) and for internal telephone wiring I would only use wires 2 and 5 and maybe 3. So this won't work as I want 1 incoming sparring off to 4 extensions (5 total).

So I must get a screw down one but they don't have any.

Looking at Dave.m 's link
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=1190&doy=25m4#faq
is that a mains junction box ... is is OK to use mains junction boxes to give good connections for telephone wiring and does the amp rating matter ?
If so then I'll have no problem finding a mains box that will do the job.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

Why do you want them all in a star config? What about chaining some of them? That way you can keep the number of wires in each IDC down to just 2.
Chris

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »

The layout of the house makes it alot easier.

Surely this is a common method anyway as it is illustrated in various diy guides to telephone wiring.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »

Fair enough, was just asking :)

As regards the Maplin link to the mains junction box - I really can't see a reason why that would be an issue at all. Unless Ezzer or Rizla or somebody else knows something I don't? :)
Chris

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »

:-[  :-[

Just realised I really didn't understand what I had bought or I was thinking of one wire in one side and 2 out the outher side.

Looking at it now, I can see 6 cut out slot, 3 on each side which allows me to connect 6 cables together, with 3 wires in each idc punchdown.  :) There are 8 pairs of punchdown presumably for 8 strand cable but I will only be using 2 (or 3 with ringwire ( or 4 for neatness ))

Thanks.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »

Ther's nothing wrong with star wiring fron one terminal. Infact if you had to disconnect one bit of faulty wiring/socket it makes life easyer. the 2 rows of 8 idc's are connected, so the no.1 on one side is connected to the other no. 1 etc etc. so you can have one wire as an input and 5 outputs.

If you need more than use a short bit of wire to connect eg no.1 to say a spare no.5 and you can spur another 5 outputs from here (makes 9 out puts in total although this is going to get crammped in the one box so if yoi needed that many and I was doing it I would use a shot lenght if internal cable to a second block termial and run the additional wires off here).

The only thing to look out for with all these wires close together is keep the block terminals at least 50mm from any electricals. The same goes for any length of cable runnig parallel to mains wiring for any distance if you can. if this is mainly done in an attic space, why not pin the phone cable at head height-ish.

Also if your using the full adsl face plate in your nte then there is no problem with using the first 3 wires in the extention cable as an out put and using the other spare 3 to run back in the other direction.

Do not connect internal wiring back on it self forming a big ring, as this will cause reflections and an echo inbalance for any digital signals.

And do not run any wiring of any cabling before your nte (This is what in BT speak is caused star wiring and one of the first things I keep an eye out for on a broadband fault, and putting this right has to be done first and is chargeable).  

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

Incidentaly i forgot to mention, if your doing a moderate amount of connecting it well worth spending £14 on the priper idc insertion tool. the £2 plastic one is ok for one or two extentions.

Hold the tool at right angles to the block when terminating and up to 3 wirw in any IDC is ok.

With the better tool the tails, The sparebit of wire sicking out the end of the idc) will be trimmed off automatically. If your using the little plastic tool then trim this surplus off with a small pair of cutters as these tails will act as antennea if over 2-3mm and could cause snr issues on your broadband

Also any good bit of internal telephone cable or CAT5 will have some cotton running up it. to strip the cable snip up and along the outer insulation with small cutters for about 5-10mm then idealy with long nose pliers grip the cotton and wrap it round the end of the pliers a couple of times. then if you pull the cotton back it tears though the outer insulation easly without dameging the wires in side, and give your self 100-140mm of internal wires to play with.
Check you havent damaged the wires when stripping back
and snip off the end 5mm of intenal wire which was the bit which was initaly exposed when you cut the outer insulation back to expose the cotton.

When tidying the wiring up before closing the block terminal or putting the socket on its pattress/back box. Dont coil any spare wires around the cable or coil the wires in little loops, again to avoid snr issues. instead loop everything around 2 fingers and squash the loop you've made into a rough sausage

Phew, i think I've covered most of it, anything I,vw written dosn;t make sence, please let met know. The number of times Ibvw read back what I've written and thought whaaa...?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »

Heh - Ezzer you are a fountain of knowledge and I've learned a lot from reading your posts :)

I didn't realise that's what you could use the cotton for, I've always wondered what it's there for!!  :-[
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 07:03:13 PM »

>> With the better tool the tails, The sparebit of wire sicking out the end of the idc) will be trimmed off automatically.

Just make sure that you use the tool the right way round, so you don't cut the wire on the other side of the terminal. :)
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »

Just make sure that you use the tool the right way round, so you don't cut the wire on the other side of the terminal. :)

That's just reminded me - I did that years ago... on a network socket I was re-wiring at school. And there wasn't particularly a lot of spare cable... I think I let out a few choice words under my breath, much to the amusement of the year 11 kids sitting near to where I was working ;)

Only did it once though!!
Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything