Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another crack in the water block.  (Read 10228 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Another crack in the water block.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »

Bowden was the unstable overclock their preconfigured overclock or what you did?

If they preconfigured it then they should have done stability tests.

I think AIO coolers are ok for a CPU but I have never liked the idea of a water loop setup myself.
Also all pascal GPUs dont really need water cooling, they are very TDP efficient. 

This is the GPU I got and it never goes over 60C when gaming which is amazing.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-geforce-gtx-1070-gamerock-premium-edition-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-03h-pl.html

It is a 3 slot card, the heatsink is really beefy. :)

Good air coolers are evo hyper 212 or noctus dh15 https://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-D15-Noctua/dp/B00L7UZMAK

the hyper 212 is very well priced, the latter is competitive with water cooling units.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:08:54 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

Chrysalis, that's the card I've been lusting after recently, but just can't justify buying one - my 680 runs Crysis 3 perfectly and last time I played was over Christmas.

Noctua's were always very good coolers  :thumbs:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »

Bowden was the unstable overclock their preconfigured overclock or what you did?

It was their preconfigured overclock. But I think it was something to do with the water cooling they did that was faulty. I took it back when it was leaking. They create a fault report.

This is the report of the first time I took it in;

SYSTEM REPAIR: Leaking, Component Failure, System returned for a leaking issue. two fittings were suspected of having faulty seals but after draining and examining the system the fault was found to be with the gfx parallel flow block. The block was replaced and a badly kinked tube was replaced and a new 45 degree fitting add to prevent any future kinks in the pipe. System tested and Overclocked tuned as system was showing signs of instability during testing. System and gtx cards benchmarked and performed as expected.

This was the report of the last time I took it in;

SYSTEM REPAIR: Leaking, Component Failure, System returned for a leaking issue. Leak attributed to a slack fitting. Fittings tightened and system placed on test. During testing faults were found with GFX cards. Cards removed from system and changed to 1070 GFX cards. Cards rebuilt with new GFX water blocks. System retested and was now found to be unstable. BIOS flashed and CPU upgraded to i7-7700k System reclocked to 4.7GHz and placed on test. System completed testing with no issues or instability found. System packaged ready for return to customer.

It was the same guy who made both repairs.

They are good at diagnosing problems. But I'm sure these amount of issues shouldnt be happening.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 06:48:36 PM »

so its at 4.7 now? what was the unstable clock speed they set to?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »

The original CPU was a Intel Core i7 6700K and overclocked that to 4.7GHz too. It was unstable at that. But I think it was like that because of the water cooling setup. They ended up reducing me to 4.5 until the last repair when he re-overclocked it to 4.7

I seem to have been extremely unlucky with this computer with them. These arent miner faults, and they are quick to point out if you start going inside the computer then its shakey ground on if they will accept it to repair it.

I've attached a picture of the bottom of the water res. The pipe that goes in to the bottom of the water res is the one with the bubble. I wonder if one of those connectors aren't tightened that well, as the whole water res seems to be pressing against the board its attached to. It even tilts a little bit, which it didnt do before.

The only good thing is the warranty is for 3 years.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »

type of cooling wont affect overclock stability. what affects that is silicon lottery voltage and ram clocks so e.g. faster ram will stress the on cpu ram controller more and will reduce maximum stable cpu clock. successful overclocking is a fine art requires careful balance and tuning of multiple parameters. 4.7 was overly optimistic for a 6700k only the top 10% of chips are stable at that speed
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:50:41 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »

Not strictly true, better cooling will generally allow a higher overclock.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »

We talking about stability.

Now days overclock's are not usually limited by temperatures, but even if a max temperature is reached the cpu simply throttles itself, it wouldnt cause a blue screen.

Of course a stock cpu cooler wont be very good, but if we comparing reputable air coolers with water coolers, then a high end air cooler is good enough and what is the vast majority of overclockers use.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »

I got a reply from a manager at overclockers and he said that he had ordered the pump to be replaced and it wasn't. He thinks the bubbles have probably come from the radiator and if I can't see an actual leak then it is probably the air that was trapped being released.

He said he'll look to upgrade something else when it comes in if he can.

So I guess we wait  :cool:

I'm going to try and get it home a more gentle way though, even if I have to sit in the car and hold it myself lol.

This is the dilemma with overclockers, the system has faults but their customer service as been very good. I believe a company (Casings?) bought them out 2 years ago and since then the customer support improved a lot. The horror stories in the past.. I'm thankful I wasn't buying in 2015

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »

Just got the technicians report back on the computer. It's due to be returned soon.

SYSTEM REPAIR: Cooler failed, Component Failure, Pump fault causing airlocking. Replaced pump and re-done tube layout. Cleaned out CPU waterblock. Tested again. Passes correctly as should.

So it looks like they spotted the issue.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »

fingers crossed it works properly this time. :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »

Got the computer back home. So far so good. I'll just have to check the water level tonight/tomorrow to see how much/if it drops significantly. I noticed they changed the layout of the water cooling network.

I was watching a video last night about how to setup watercooling and the guy did make it look fairly easy. So I'm surprised myself at how many problems I'm having with this one. Ill start up gta and hope it doesnt blue screen after 5 minutes. It used to do that when that unstable overclock was present.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »

the good news is 7700k's overclock better than 6700k's due to modifications intel made, that may be why ocuk swapped out the cpu.
Pages: 1 [2]