Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bt voyager Line stats  (Read 18233 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Bt voyager Line stats
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:26 AM »

As eric says - it is quite normal for SNR Margin to fluctuate. 
Yours is still well within acceptable parameters.  Theres various things that can affect SNR Margin and generally its normally lower in the evenings when more people are at home.

Your error count is still fine for the length of time the connection has been up..   again there could be periods of time when you rack up more errors than at others... for eg my line will rack up errors if there was a thunder storm (like yesterday).

Performance for your line attenuation (relates to length of line) is very good indeed  :thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »

Thanks Kitz  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »

youre most welcome UB :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

After 70 days my router has re-synched and my speed has dropped.I was getting 1472downstream but it has dropped to 1248.Can't understand why,although my snr has been getting lower daily.It has only dropped to 9.0 though at its lowest.I think my IP profile will drop now from 1250kbps to 1000kbps
 Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
 Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:01:52:57 
 Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 2 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
 Line Rate 1248 Kbps 448 Kbps 
 Noise Margin 12.1 dB 11.0 dB 
 Line Attenuation 63.5 dB 31.5 dB 
 Output Power 17.3 dBm 12.4 dBm 
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 40 15 
 R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16 
 S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 4 8 
 D (interleaver depth) 8 4 
 Super Frames 398662  398660   
 Super Frame Errors 8  36   
 RS Words 6777258  3388610   
 RS Correctable Errors 156  120   
 RS Uncorrectable Errors 38  0   
 HEC Errors 8  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0 

Edit.I don't suppose there is much point raising the issue wih BT as with my line attenuation they will tell me my speed is acceptable.I can't understand that only a few months ago I was synching at 1872 kbps.I have my line plugged into the test socket all the time,is that ok?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:54:45 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »

It's certainly not worth raising it with BT. As we discussed before, you're in a bit of a 'wing and a prayer' situation. The deterioration is probably just one of those things, caused by an increase in interference levels somewhere near. I don't want to depress you, but I think you have no option but to cross your fingers and see how it goes now. Maybe someone else has a brighter suggestion.

I don't think there's any real problem in using the test socket permanently. The only thing which comes to mind is that there is a surge suppressor in the faceplate, so you no longer have that protection in the event of a lightning surge.

[Edit - nonsense deleted :) ]

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:47:07 PM by roseway »
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »

Thanks for that Eric,didn't know that about the faceplate. ;)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »

The surge protector is on the main nte5 itself (it's the small item which looks like a small diode on newer nte's or looks like a capacitor on older nte's with an earth terminal) you woun't affect the lightning protection with the removalof the face plate, in fact unless there's corrosion in the face plate then theres no difference to having the plate on or off if ther's no wiring connected to it.

To get the download speeds your getting at such a high downstream attenuation is impressive I wouldn't think your much above 63.5db if any higher at all. The only thing which may help is if there is another cable on your e-side with a lower line loss and a spare pr which yours can be switched to. But it's down to your ISP if their willing to raise a broadband fault to get this looked at ie are they going to look at this a s a fault.

Had a fault last week, From the cab the original line loss was 66.5db, got another pair at 58db to the cab but in this case the customer wasn't getting sync at all.

The only other thing to look out for is if you have an rf filter before the nte. Look out for a small box before the nte(white unless painted over) about the size of a box of matches. If you have one then chances are its a straight forward connecton block. If you can see the back of it (eg if in an attic and not screwed down) does it say rf2 (rf3 is ok with broad band) otherwise you could look inside but be carefull,

IF YOU KNOW YOUR CONNETION OFF BEFORE THE NTE AND YOU NEED TO GET AN ENGINEER OT TO FIX IT, THIS IS CHARGEABLE.

An RF2 is marked on the inside as well but the cables can obscure this, so what your looking for is 2 small black cylenders only about 4-5mm in diameter and about 8mm high.

If you find such a filter then you need to get you isp to get an engineer out to change this for a rf3. Because if you have an rf2 then this should stop broadband getting to your nte at all unless its corroded or your close enough to the exchange that the signal blasts its way through so you've got a bit of some thing. No line test will see such a filter, the only way to know if ones there is to physicaly locate it (still itching from those attics from saturday  >:() of if your a moderate to fair distance from the exchange and you've got some sync, in which case you havn't such a filter.

The other type of filter that will cause the same problem is an old style alarm filter/splitter. It block it lives in is one about 60x80mm ish. slightly curved (almost like a bar of soap) under the cover a large metal thing with about 4 sets on input & output screws, same situation

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »

After 70 days my router has re-synched and my speed has dropped.I was getting 1472downstream but it has dropped to 1248.Can't understand why,although my snr has been getting lower daily.It has only dropped to 9.0 though at its lowest.I think my IP profile will drop now from 1250kbps to 1000kbps
 Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:01:52:57 

Line Rate 1248 Kbps 448 Kbps 
 Noise Margin 12.1 dB 11.0 dB 
 Output Power 17.3 dBm 12.4 dBm 
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 40 15 
 Super Frames 398662  398660   
 Super Frame Errors 8  36   
 RS Words 6777258  3388610   
 RS Correctable Errors 156  120   
 HEC Errors 8  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0 

Edit.I don't suppose there is much point raising the issue wih BT as with my line attenuation they will tell me my speed is acceptable.I can't understand that only a few months ago I was synching at 1872 kbps.I have my line plugged into the test socket all the time,is that ok?

Just re booted the router messing about with the broadband phone and was amazed that my downstream speed has increased to this.Not sure how long it will keep at this though,any comments.

Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:00:11:01 
 Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1 

Line Rate 2272 Kbps 448 Kbps 
 Noise Margin 9.4 dB 10.0 dB 
 Output Power 17.6 dBm 12.3 dBm 
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 72 15 
 S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 2 8 
 D (interleaver depth) 16 4 
 Super Frames 38880  38878   
 Super Frame Errors 6  0   
 RS Words 1321932  330463   
 RS Correctable Errors 242  40   
 HEC Errors 6  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »

Your Noise Margin is looking ok UB - so hopefully it should stay, this evening will be the test really and dependent on any storms etc.
Theres a few HEC errors, but even with my own line I always get a few during the boot up / resysnc process.

Fingers crossed for you.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »

God what a nightmare,connection went down about 5pm yesterday.Tried everything to get it back,even spent 90 mins with BT Indian support.They haven't got a clue.My OH has to make the calls because of my hearing difficulties.Her hearing is excellent but she just couldn't understand them.Any way they said someone would call me this morning.I have just come to the computer and I'm back on but my noise margain is very low and getting a few errors.Any comments would be grateful.

Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:03:33:37 
 Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1 

Line Rate 1344 Kbps 448 Kbps 
 Noise Margin 5.6 dB 11.0 dB 
 Output Power 16.8 dBm 12.4 dBm 
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 43 15 
 Super Frames 753960  753958   
 Super Frame Errors 518  4   
 RS Words 12817324  6408643   
 RS Correctable Errors 1183534  28   
 RS Uncorrectable Errors 771  0   
 HEC Errors 254  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »

It rather looks as though your line has got a bit more noisy recently, so your performance isn't quite as good as it was. Your noise margin isn't dangerously low, so there's not a lot you can do apart from watching to see how it goes.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »

Thanks Eric,is there nothing can be done about the 'noise'.I am plugged into the main socket right next to the computer,with no other extensions.My problem started yesterday when I disconnected the BT broadband Talk from the router(That is the phone line goes through the router enabling you to receive free evening and weekend calls) I no longer need it as I get those calls free now on the normal landline.When I removed the cables yesterday the normal phone line was very noisy so I put them back.Everything was fine until teatime yesterday when even though the Sync light was solid green there was no connection to the PC and the Broadband talk light was off even though it said I was connected to broadband talk.The light is off now and I am not connected to broadband talk.Iam now wary of removing the broadband talk cable in case I get disconected again.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »

There are numerous possible causes of interference. I suggest that you read through this and the associated pages.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

My router re-synched just over an hour ago.I expected the worse,but it seems to be much better.

Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:01:04:43 

Line Rate 1856 Kbps 448 Kbps 
 Noise Margin 11.8 dB 12.0 dB 
 Output Power 17.5 dBm 12.4 dBm 
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 59 15 
 Super Frames 228388  228386   
 Super Frame Errors 2  0   
 RS Words 3882600  1941281   
 RS Correctable Errors 86  62   
 RS Uncorrectable Errors 8  0   
 HEC Errors 2  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »

Phil, it's difficult to be sure, but this is beginning to sound like electrical impulse noise (REIN). A common symptom of this is that something causes your router to re-sync, then it connects at a significantly higher speed. You might like to read this to get some help with diagnosing REIN problems.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything