Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: upstream SNR  (Read 5518 times)

malone

• Just arrived
upstream SNR
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

I'm currently on 1MB connection and i can't get a 2mb connection, even tho the bt wholesale checker says i can,
The results of my line stats from my BT Voyager 105 at peak times:
Attenuation Local/Remote= 40/22dB        1.75km
SNR margin Local/Remote= 19.5/12.5dB

what i would like to know is  would the downstream SNR margin affect bieng able  to get a 2MB connection? as the other results seem to me to be within the limits noted on the "How to interpret your Line Stats" page just not too sure about downstream.

I have been trying to sort 2MB out with BT and my ISP for a while with no mention of  line stats then i stumbled across this site in google which i'll point out has been very useful THX KITZ

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:32:58 AM by malone »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: upstream SNR
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »

With those stats you should get 2Mbps comfortably, and a good bit more if you went over to IPStream Max. My line is rather similar to yours (a bit worse in fact) and I get a stable 5Mbps connection. What reason does your ISP give for not upgrading you, and what ISP is it?

Eric
  Eric

malone

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »

i'm with aol i've just noticed they've upgraded the packages so i've being paying for 2mb connection for months :( (they could have told me),i'd like to try and get the line sorted before i take on another 12 month conract and downgrade, they say i need to get on at bt, but bt just send from person to person and not actually answering any questions and one bloke actually said my line would be upgraded on the 12th, so i asked the 12th of when he replied the 12th of NEVER(cheeky bastard)wasted my time for about 40 minutes.
If you know what department to talk to or an email address that would be helpful
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:37:45 PM by malone »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »

It's your ISP's job to sort this out for you. It's no use your speaking to BT because the telephone side won't be able to help with ADSL problems and BT Wholesale won't talk directly to customers. I'm afraid that AOL have a rotten reputation for customer service and you seem to be getting the rough end of it. You could try getting more insistent with AOL, but in my opinion your best bet would be to change to a more helpful ISP.

Eric
  Eric

malone

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »

tried aol AGAIN they say "get BT to increase the line capacity , you need to contact them as only they have the option to increase your line capacity to 2mb at the exchange."

Can u guess what BT will say??? ****OFF or just pass me on to someone else

WTF do i have to do to get 2mb connection MOVE???
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:13:07 PM by malone »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 04:37:51 PM »

Hi

On the Voyager local = downstream and remote = upstream

As roseway has already said 40dB should be fine for 2Mb.. and more on dslMAX

From what youve said, Ive absolutely no idea why your ISP is holding out on you. Some ISPs (In particular BT/AOL/Pipex) seem to tie you to another 12 month contract before they will upgrade you to the higher speeds.
TBH they seem to be playing silly beggars and if there is nothing tying you with AOL then I would certainly look at migrating to another ISP.

Many ISPs will migrate you over for free and several ISPs offer a one month contract too, so its worth having a look around to see whats on offer... possibily a fair bit cheaper than AOL too.

>> tried aol AGAIN they say "get BT to increase the line capacity"

Whilst there are a couple of exchanges in the UK that havent been maxed, these really are very few and far between and basically in the middle of nowhere.  The fact that the BTw checker says you can puts that theory on one side anyhow.
Its AOLs job to put in the request for your speed increase.  BTw wont be able to do anything for you. Seems like you have no option but to request your MAC Im afraid?

Theres a list of ISPs/prices/caps here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/caps.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

malone

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 05:58:29 PM »

tried aol for the last time saying

"i've tried a couple of time to get this problem solved and i keep getting passed around from you and BT like a yoyo,my problem is that i'm paying for a 2MB connection but only getting 1mb connection, the bt broadband checker comes up that i can recieve a 2MB connection, my attenuation(40dB) and SNR margins(20.5dB) to be within requirements for 2MB,its your job to put in the request for your speed increase so why have you been refering me to bt???telling me i need the exchange upgrading when it has, i want this sorting out NOW"

Change of tune this timeThe speed upgrade is till in process  and all AOL members will receive the speed upgrade, You need to wait for AOL to do this as AOL is completing this in phases,I am not sure of the date and time but very soon you should receive the upgrade(yeah right taken months so far)

Have given them 7 days to get it sorted or i'll be back for my MAC code

Cheers for all the help

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:29:41 PM »

thanks for letting us know how you got on.

Most other ISPs did the 2Mb upgrades 18 months ago, and are underway with the up to 8Mb now..  so I do hope you manage to get it sorted soon.

Fingers crossed that it happens within the next week.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 03:32:22 AM »

I find that when I had to deal with some of my old isp's, that  when speaking to them about speed upgrades every department that I contacted basically refused my requests until I contacted the billing department, I dont know what the billing departments has to do with speed upgrades, but with Freeserve and wanadoo and orange although they are basically the same isp, I only ever got upgraded in speed when I talked to the billing department and they would put through the speed upgrade request, sometimes I waited 10 days for the speed to go up, and on one occassion 10 minutes after I called them i went up from 1mb to 2mb.

My advice, get onto AOL billing department, if they give you hassle, threaten to cancel your contract and see how far they go to keep you as a customer.

I dont know how good Gay O L will be for Customer Service now that the uber shite carphone warehouse has bought them out, but I would still give them a call, but if I was you, i wouldnt be calling them to get a speed upgrade, I would be calling them for a MAC code.