Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PSU ratings?  (Read 8872 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: PSU ratings?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »

Never been a fan of HP systems but that's just me. I suspect either would be perfectly acceptable for photo editing, if you do any video editing and rendering then more CPU cores to spread the workload would be noticeably beneficial. That apart my reservation would be how many extra HDDs would you intend adding? This might stress the PSU. There is a lot more to deciding on which PSU to use other than the overall rating, there is quite a lot of reading material available on the net about how to size a PSU and how to interpret the detailed specs (if available) of the PSU you consider. The fact that you mention photo editing suggest you use digital photos to quite an extent and I guess you might need at least one more HDD for photo storage.

Stuart
I assume you mean internal HDD rather than external. Is my assumption correct? Can you give any links to the best of that readable stuff,please? :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »

I no longer use Microsoft OS, so have not got any 'feel' for what kind of performance to expect.

Kind of echoing Stuart's comments, from a different angle.... One thing does strike me about both systems... 500 GB disks?  That is not a lot in today's terms.   IMHO this would be worth thinking through... is the system used for storing photos as well as editing?   And are you likely to buy a new camera (with more pixels) at some point, which would increase storage even more?   Note though I am not saying it's bad,  just saying "think it through".  Having thought it through you may conclude that 500GB is fine, and I would be in no position to disagree.  At the end of the day you could always attach an external disk for more storage, but that would add a few watts to power requirements.

Memory is also relatively modest by today's standards, at 4GB. Not sure whether photo editing tools are particularly memory-greedy, I think they might be? Personally, I'd want to make sure it is at least upgradeable if it proves inadequate.

I've not had any HP desktops, but I have had a couple of their pretty cheap 'proliant' servers.  Always seemed very well made.
500GB? My existing same capacity is no where near full, as I weed out, and have some of the photos on an external drive, so it seems profligate to get more than I need. Am I stupid for minimal cost? Cameras' megapixel counts are a bit of marketing hype. Actually the predecessor to the one I have had 18M; mine has 12M. On a small sensor there was more noise @18M.

Extra watts needed for external drive; wouldn't those be limited to when loading and retrieving, and so not permanent. For those times would the increased power be a big factor?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

Depends on if the external hard drive has its own power supply or not.

Hard disks don't really use that much power, they might have a peak requirement of about 25W for a very short time when they spin up. My current 3TB storage hard disk claims to typically use 5.4W during read/write operations. It's a "low energy" model, but then all the big cheap disks tend to be the low power not designed to be really used types.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »

The ones I have are USB powered.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »

I wasn't suggesting that a massive headline pixel count is a good thing, I agree it sometimes is not.  But manufacturers will follow whatever fashions are followed, which may mean higher pixel counts in future.

I've just recently got a new camera myself, which sports a 20 megapixel sensor.    It supports a 'Raw' mode as well as producing jpg images and, for now, I'm saving both.   That means about 30-40MB of data for each photo...   

I've already made quite a hole in the 64GB sd card that I initially stuck in the camera.  Admittedly though, I'm still playing with it trying to learn its capabilities, which might mean a whole afternoon  taking dozens upon dozens of pictures of the garage at different settings so I can compare the ffects. :D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »

Completely OT, but I'm wondering what pixel rating or eyes would have were they cameras with our current processor with its on board graphics. ;D

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »

Hi Renloup,  try this as it's in your price bracket, and with 1 Tb 8Gb ram.
http://www.ebuyer.com/749503-hp-460-p035na-twr-desktop-w3b45ea-abu
More Ram = better photo editing.. Windows 10 expects min 4Gb.

Power supplies generally are designed to be at their most efficient running about 80% capacity, thats why Hp et al tend to not go too mad with watts.
If you're going to add Graphics cards and bigger harddrives then that's where the extra power is needed.

Used this tool to calculate my system http://powersupplycalculator.net/
Mine at idle 71 Watts
At load 268 Watts
Recommended supply 365 Watts
My Power supply is rated at 650Watts Corsair TX650v2 (made by Seasonic)
My graphics cards is by far the biggest culprit in my system Nvidia  GTX960 4Gb

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »

That calculator looks interesting, but at a quick glance the CPU of the HP system is not listed.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »

https://ark.intel.com/products/90734/Intel-Core-i3-6100T-Processor-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz

I don't think you can add much to that HP.
There's a picture of the motherboard at http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-460-p000-desktop-pc-series/10734573/document/c05240040/

It does have a slot for a graphics card, but I can only see 2 SATA ports on the motherboard, so I don't think any internal drives can be added.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything