Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker  (Read 9201 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »

When I read up on it last year, the power is pooled from all customers, and gets rebalanced automatically when a user goes offline.

So in theory the only time it loses power is when there is no customers connected, I assume there is also some kind of battery to allow it to respond to connection requests when there is currently no customers active.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »

When I read up on it last year, the power is pooled from all customers, and gets rebalanced automatically when a user goes offline.

That's right. This was my understanding too.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »

That article is poorly worded then, and suggested the opposite
There are a few ways to power these G.fast nodes, but one of the simplest is to take some power from a nearby G.fast customer. There hasn't been much discussion of it yet, but presumably Openreach would repay the home or business owner for the electricity consumed in this way.
should be customers and owners.
That's actually workable. I thought the prospect of using a single EU's power was just plain stupid.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »

I do wonder how BT came to the economic decision about putting nodes next to the cabinet is worth it.

Cheapest, fastest way to hit the target they set themselves. The target is nothing to do with how many customers get uplifted by what percentage, it's purely about getting >100Mb to 10 million premises.

Also what happens if your in a grey area at 300m and order G.fast to get an extra 30Mbps.. then 12 months later they put a node 100m from your house, will they re-route you to the node? Because its going to be a pain in the butt if you're then stuck at 300m because you bought early on.

Either everyone or no-one goes onto the new node. Can't have pairs in the same d-side bundle getting G.fast signals from different nodes. With this in mind it would need some discussion with CPs and Ofcom to allow for forced migrations or for G.fast to simply never go deeper into the network.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »

Either everyone or no-one goes onto the new node. Can't have pairs in the same d-side bundle getting G.fast signals from different nodes. With this in mind it would need some discussion with CPs and Ofcom to allow for forced migrations or for G.fast to simply never go deeper into the network.

It'll be interesting how they actually link people up to the nodes when the nodes get pushed out. I wonder if the fibre will go from the cabinet to the node, or go from node to node in a link?

I guess if they linked together then by default if the 2nd node was closer to your house on the pole your line goes to.. then they would have to link you through that one.. though I guess its going to come down to which poles I guess.

It'll be interesting if BT hit enough 100Mb connections with the current nodes being so close to the cabinet. The people around the cabinet are the least likely to upgrade to G.fast.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »

I think the target only needs to be availability not signups.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 01:11:04 AM »

Yes indeed. Target is premises passed. The more they can sell the better of course but the very limited capacity of the nodes, either 32 or 48 ports initially, maximum 96, should tell you about the level of uptake expected.

There are options in the future of course. Pair bonding will increase range and speeds, as will advances in power and modulation density, but be under no allusion that G.fast via the cabinet pod is a temporary stopgap.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 04:06:02 AM »

That article is poorly worded then, and suggested the oppositeshould be customers and owners.
That's actually workable. I thought the prospect of using a single EU's power was just plain stupid.

I can't see energy being monitored and reimbursed to consumer. More likely the agreement for using G.Fast will give BT the right to use energy from the consumer.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »

I think its going to be pretty crap for most people. The people who would benefit most, and most likely to pay for it, won't get the benefit much.

I do wonder how BT came to the economic decision about putting nodes next to the cabinet is worth it.

Its all about being able to provide a service at prices that enough people will be willing to pay for it.

BT recently said (about their initial roll out) in their Q3 results Q&A* that:

The way to think about G.fast is that we leverage the infrastructure that is already deployed for VDSLs. So we leverage the backhaul from the cabinet. We leverage the power supply. Our costs are really just the costs of the new G.fast box.

and on g.fast rollout/performance itself, Clive Seeley said:

We're rolling out those side pods on the cabinets a quite a place now we have the production hardware, we have the production firmware and we're building a footprint quite quickly now. The first pilot customers the indications are that the performance of the product over the new equipment is pretty much spot on what we had predicted from the labs in the earlier few trials and I am very pleased with that. So I'm very pleased with where we stand right now on G.fast.

(*different answers at approximately 40 and 50 minutes into the call)
Pages: 1 2 [3]