Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker  (Read 9202 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker

Openreach (BT) has confirmed to ISPreview.co.uk that their Fibre Availability Checker will tomorrow be updated to enable the inclusion of a G.fast order journey, but you shouldn’t expect to get a lot of detail. Plus the coverage of their “ultra fast” service is very limited.

The new ‘up to’ 330Mbps capable G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) broadband technology is currently being deployed into a 138,000 premise strong pilot at 17 locations across the UK and this should be ready by the end of March 2017. However the commercial roll-out, which aims to cover 10 million premises by 2020 and then “most of the UK” by 2025 (including FTTP coverage), isn’t due to begin until the last half of this year.

It feels like Christmas eve.. are we going to be lucky to be in the first wave or not  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »

This will only provide any feedback for those in the 17 pilot areas. Everyone else will not receive any further information.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »

Here's a couple of lucky ones in Gillingham, note they are on two different cabinets.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »

so the first one has a min speed only 20mbit higher, and that is a reasonable guide I think to how my line would operate.

My low clean rate is currently just 62 on vdsl (keep drifting down, presumably with 20th percentile dropping with copper pair degradation and crosstalk issues), that line with a 12mbit higher estimated vdsl speed does not have a impressive g.fast estimate. The estimated upstream rate is actually lower than vdsl, and the estimated downstream rate is not very impressive.  This is the issue with g.fast not been able to use both the adsl and vdsl frequencies. Poor tech but cheap to deploy.

ip75

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »

On that first line, you'd actually take a speed cut on the upstream by switching to G.fast. And that's on a line that does 80/20 on VDSL. The estimate for VDSL looks almost identical to mine, which is only a 250m line.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:30:36 PM »

also I wonder how fast the vdsl line could go if uncapped on that first estimate as vdsl is capable of higher than 80mbit speeds.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 06:33:15 PM »

Hmm why would the upload speeds drop on the first one?

I thought upload speed was always more stable than download speeds?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »

its not like adsl where upload had the best frequencies.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:28:14 PM »

On that first line, you'd actually take a speed cut on the upstream by switching to G.fast. And that's on a line that does 80/20 on VDSL. The estimate for VDSL looks almost identical to mine, which is only a 250m line.

That poor upstream speed estimate is quite disappointing. My line is around 300m and theoretically at least, it should be possible to hit 300+ Mbps at that distance. But if that estimate is accurate, I'm probably looking at something similar when G.fast rolls into town. I'll pass I think.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:42:41 PM »

A thing to remember is all of the gear out in the field now is 1rev stuff, revision 3 gear should allow 300mbps at 300m.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »

Hmm.  Makes me wonder how my ~650m line (20.5 dB downstream attenuation) will fare.

I live in an area with very high Virgin Media uptake.  Got a great deal on Infinity when we moved here 4.5 years ago since BT were desperate to put a dent in VM.

...but it seems that G.fast won't be something that'll give me anything like VM speeds. Still, VM would be much more expensive I suppose!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:37 PM »

I pay for a 80 down and 20 up service (actual 55/16) due to increased upload speed offered by the package.  If gfast means upload will be slower that is madness if BT are trying to sell it as a better product.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »

I think G.fast will come in to its own when it gets pushed out to the pods.

I can understand why BT are attaching pods to cabinets, that they are doing things in stages. But as we've said before thats only going to suit the people already getting 80/20. I don't really understand that decision in a commercial sense as I'm sure they won't get many buys from that.

When it gets pushed out to the pods then the upload speed will improve as well as the download speed as we'll be physically closer to fibre.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »

The current rollout is as much a political as a commercial one. Needing to get 'ultrafast' out there to as many homes as possible as quickly as possible.

It serves that purpose fine. Relatively cheap, very fast, and ticks the >100Mb and to a lesser extent >300Mb boxes.

It's not a speed competition with VM. For headline speeds they will lose right up until they deploy FTTP.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything