Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Multiple SSIDs  (Read 2775 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Multiple SSIDs
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »

I have a TalkTalk DSL 3780 modem and would like to set it up with 2 SSIDs, basically so that when friends come around I can turn one off (the one they have the password for) so they are not just spending all their time on the internet but if my own computer is doing something then that will continue. Only I'm fed up with friends just coming around for the free internet it's just sooo annoying with people sitting there glued to their phones for hours on end catching up with their  facebook and email messages.
So if anyonecan give me a step-by-step 'idiot proof write-up on how to set it up it would be most appreciated. Then maybe we can start and bring back the art of conversation.

I have tried but only seem to be able to change the existing one
Thanks

Dray

• Kitizen

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Multiple SSIDs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:32:49 PM »

Thanks but I did try that although at the moment I can't remember exactly what was wrong so will have to try it again later to find out

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »

Wireless access points are inexpensive, so any _good_ one will be able to set up multiple SSIDs, if you are having trouble with your current kit.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »

@OF.
Are you telling them they will only have timed WiFi when they come ?.
When you turn the WiFi off they will just use there phone data from there network if not using it all the time and still go on there phones etc.and be antisocial .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »

No not timed just NO wi-fi at all.

I found how to create the SSID but not how to input a password, but also not how to turn it on/off as and when I want to without turning off all of it, so basically am no further forward.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »

Can't you just change the SSID that your friends know?

huwwatkins

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »

Guest SSID's are often open networks. Wouldn't changing the password on the SSID you currently have achieve what you want?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »

Maybe I'm just being selfish and yes I could just change the current password, which I did try once but got into a hell of a mess with my IP security cameras then not working as the password has to be installed when they are first initialised on a hotwire LAN network.
And no if there wee no FREE wi-fi they would not use their data for a connection, some of them are tighter than mean and yes I know that's probably saying something.

Basically it's just that the wi-fi stems the conversation, if it were only for a few minutes or even just occasionally it wouldn't be so bad but every-time they come and for hours on end when all I want is to have a conversation, but also leave my own equipment connected.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:23 PM »

@OF, I may be missing something, as that is an increasingly common event.   :-[

But I am thinking, if your security cameras 'know' the old password, and you want them to continue to work, then any guests to your home that use the same password as security cams wil also continue to work.   Therefor, surely you will have to take the pain and change that password, and you will also have to reconfigure your cameras?

That said I'd still suggest multiple SSIDs, as well as a one-off password change, is a good way forwards.  That way, next time you feel inclined, you can change the guest password in isolation, without having to reconfigure your cameras etc.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind, and apologies for not knowing or looking up the router (even on dray link),  but most wifi has Mac access rules, so if you do not want to give wifi, and do not want to change passwords, you can access your ip cameras, locate the MAC address and match this against the wifi user list, then turn on access, then add your ip cameras as authorised, and any one trying to connect there after to the SSID, has to be authorised or no connection.

If your router does do multi SSID, setup a guest and voila, job done

Many thanks

John

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »

My problem is, a few years ago I would have been able to fully understand that which people are saying and then maybe and some but basically last year I had a mild stroke and now a lot of what used to be easy common sense understandings I just don't/can't grasp, admittedly with my previous VM router there wasn't very much I couldn't do with it but this TalkTalk D-Link router just seems to be about the most complicated unit I have ever encountered.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 11:55:50 PM »

Then I'd point out that vs my earlier post, I agree with d2d4j, you could avoid changing camera passwords by setting MAC adress rules.  But that is probably detail that you do not need or want.    As to reconfiguring your specific TT router, I'm afraid I haven't got one, and so I can't offer any specific instructions.

Hopefully somebody who  can advise in clear and explicit terms how to configure your TT router to achieve your goals might now chip in...?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »

Thanks, but again part of the problem is not knowing how to make the settings, as I SAID THIS ROUTER IS JUST soo complicted that yes it needs someone who already uses one who can make up a idiot sheet of instructions to follow.

anything