Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: For Those Interested in BT Sport ....  (Read 3671 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
For Those Interested in BT Sport ....
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »

[Moderator edited to adjust the subject line to more accurately reflect this thread's content.]

BT Sport wins exclusive rights to UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League until the end of the 2020/21 season.

I’m delighted that BT Sport will remain the exclusive UK home of all UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League football, following a competitive auction process. The rights have been secured until the end of the 2020/21 season.

This is great news for our customers as we continue to make live top tier football far more affordable than other pay-TV operators and we’re committed to giving great value for money.

What does this deal mean?

•We will broadcast up to 343 live matches every year from 2018/19 to 2020/21 from the opening rounds through to both finals.
•We have won the exclusive rights to the highlights and in-match clips from both competitions. We will use these to enhance our social media coverage to reach new audiences, by making clips, weekly highlights, UEFA’s magazine show, and both finals available for free on social media.
•We will continue to show these matches on an exclusively live basis in the UK, plus customers will now able to enjoy ‘double header’ nights for the first time, as there will be live matches at both 18:00 and 20:00 during the Group Stage.
•The UEFA Champions League is set to be even stronger from 2018/19 onwards, with a minimum of four participating teams from England, Spain, Germany and Italy now guaranteed, resulting in more games between the top European teams.

This is a great example of us investing in future growth. These rights further complement our sporting line-up, which already includes top tier football from the Premier League and FA Cup, as well as live rugby, cricket, UFC, and now boxing.

As ever we have taken a disciplined approach and we are in a strong position to monetise this investment through subscription, wholesale, commercial, and advertising revenues.

Winning with innovation

It’s through BT’s innovation we’ve taken the coverage of both competitions to new heights, and it’s why UEFA chose us.

•We were the first broadcaster in Europe to show live matches using 4K ultra high definition technology and also the first in the world to use Dolby Atmos sound.
•Our fans have been given unprecedented control of their viewing with our innovative BT Sport App.
•We also led the most social sports broadcast ever by showing both competition finals on YouTube last year, and we are excited about our future plans for the use of social media, which will engage a growing fanbase that consumes sport in different ways.
•BT has also delivered strong audiences in the UK and made its live sport available to EE customers.

This is great news for our customers and for BT

We’re thrilled to have renewed these rights to two of the best competitions in the world. I’m proud that we continue to make sporting action far more affordable for customers, helping to ensure as many people as possible can enjoy the action.

I would like to thank everyone involved across BT who have helped to make this happen. It’s a moment in the BT journey which underlines our commitment to sports broadcasting, to the future growth of our business and also to our customers.

John Petter
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:31:04 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: For Those Interested in BT Sport ....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »

Entrance stage-left ............ all the doom & gloomers ............  ;)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »

All those people who want to watch champions league football who aren't BT customers will have to get a Kodi box then

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »

Ha ha ..... I have.  ;) ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:14:16 PM »

Nice link, cheers .............. read the replies after the report though.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »

The ban on kodi is the result of idiots!  :P

It's not kodi, its the apps that are allowing access. What's to stop the app being moved to something else. These idiots must love chasing shadows!  :cool:

As for BT's sports rights. What is the situation for funding for Openreach now? Will the revenue be seperate from BT?

I don't know why people still watch football. I stopped watching the premier league years ago when it become more and more difficult to spot British players on the teams. I counted on a Manchester United team a few months ago, only 5 British players in a team of 11. I remember when teams were restricted to 3 foreign players. I think being in the EU meant european players were considered on an equal to British players. Maybe one good thing of Brexit  ;)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:11:15 AM »

That's like banning internet explorer because I can watch pirated tv shows in the browser. Banning Kodi boxes is ridiculous. Kodi is perfectly legit. You get no help on the Kodi forums moaning that your pirated stream isn't working.

Preloaded Android boxes with Kodi and all the pirated add-ons will probably get banned. Then everyone will buy "clean boxes" and the guy down the road will charge a fiver to set them up for you. I hope that's how it goes, cos I'll be that guy lol.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 01:01:02 AM »

Nice link, cheers .............. read the replies after the report though.
Sorry,  :( But I was googling what 'Kodi' was and that's what came up  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »

Hey, no need for apologies. I was just pointing out that the comments about the piece I the link, basically echo what the guys above ^^^ are saying. Basically, un-policeable.  :)

speedyrite

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »

For those people, like me, who ARE interested in paying to watch what BT Sport has to offer BUT are not (and/or do not wish to be) a BT phone and broadband customer nor a Sky TV customer nor an EE Mobile customer, it would be nice to see BT Sport made available as a standalone subscription, like Netflix, on for instance the ROKU platform or connected TVs or tablets etc. Not sure how big it is, but (in my opinion) there is a base of untapped customers that is being ignored.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »

For those people, like me, who ARE interested in paying to watch what BT Sport has to offer BUT are not (and/or do not wish to be) a BT phone and broadband customer nor a Sky TV customer nor an EE Mobile customer, it would be nice to see BT Sport made available as a standalone subscription, like Netflix, on for instance the ROKU platform or connected TVs or tablets etc. Not sure how big it is, but (in my opinion) there is a base of untapped customers that is being ignored.

That is probably the way they should go. All the big companies should do that. Produce their own apps and put them on these various devices. I would also like these regional/country bound copyright restrictions removed. It's an old system and really the companies could make a lot more money if they allowed their shows to be sold around the world by these apps.

It's interesting seeing how the dilemma of copyright laws and the Napster music file sharing program back in the 90s have now continued to grow and we're at the point of tv programmes being illegally viewed. I think Napster went legal and the music companies began to work with it. That needs to happen with tv/film companies too.

I predict that the fibre network of the future will eventually take over being the way people watch tv. Roll on full fibre!  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »

sky does nowtv which is a online version of its service and can be brought standalone, but on the flipside its much more expensive than if you have it via traditional means.

When I was beta testing BT sport prior to launch they told us testers they planned to offer it standalone for online access with no tie in to been a BT customer, if they not doing that now I am curious as to what changed their mind.

speedyrite

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:37:38 AM »

sky does nowtv which is a online version of its service and can be brought standalone, but on the flipside its much more expensive than if you have it via traditional means.

Quite nice that Sky Sports via NOW TV can be accessed for just one day for £6.99 or one week for £10.99 (or less by purchasing a pass from other retailers) as required without any requirement to subscribe to anything else - be it a TV or phone or broadband service, whereas Sky Sorts is a minimum of one month via satellite and as I recall there was a minimum requirement to have an Entertainment package in order to add-on a Sports package.

Still at least Sky & NOW TV don't insist that you buy your phone & broadband from them in order to use their TV service!

My take is that, from a cost point of view, NOW TV is probably the cheaper way to get Sky Sports for an irregular/occasional viewer. But that's not likely to be the case for long term regular a Sky Sports subscriber though.

When I was beta testing BT sport prior to launch they told us testers they planned to offer it standalone for online access with no tie in to been a BT customer, if they not doing that now I am curious as to what changed their mind.

Interesting. Yes indeed it would.

anything