Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another Cab Installed  (Read 3155 times)

Webbs1978

Another Cab Installed
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently on an FTTC enabled cabinet, and this past weekend I noticed some engineers (vans had McCarthy logo on, not Openreach) put in a 2nd larger cabinet next to the existing one. Is this just for extra capacity or something else?

In the attached pic, the large cab on the left is the new one, the smaller on the right is the existing one.

Thanks.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Another Cab Installed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »

Nice. Additional Huawei fttc cab by the looks of it...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »

It's a 2nd cabinet for additional capacity. The existing ECI serves 256 lines and the new Huawei serves 288 lines.

Here's a similar thread with the exact same situation. There's 4 cabinets within a couple miles of me with new large Huawei cabinets. All the initial cabinets in my area were  ECI.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Webbs1978

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »

It's a 2nd cabinet for additional capacity. The existing ECI serves 256 lines and the new Huawei serves 288 lines.

Here's a similar thread with the exact same situation. There's 4 cabinets within a couple miles of me with new large Huawei cabinets. All the initial cabinets in my area were  ECI.

Ah ok thanks. Presumably then, my line will continue to be supplied over the existing ECI cab? There's a field nearby that's got new-build homes going up in it so I guess the new cab is needed for those perhaps.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:22:37 PM »

Ah ok thanks. Presumably then, my line will continue to be supplied over the existing ECI cab?
yes it will. It's most likely for existing demand. They don't tend to install fibre cabinets in anticipating of properties being completed. The DSL address checker should tell you if the cabinet currently has a waiting list.

Webbs1978

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »

yes it will. It's most likely for existing demand. They don't tend to install fibre cabinets in anticipating of properties being completed. The DSL address checker should tell you if the cabinet currently has a waiting list.

That's interesting, cos I don't think my Cab is full (see pic attached). My home is one of around 50 new-builds completed in the past 12-14 months, so perhaps the new Cab has been put in to accommodate some of those in that case. My line is on the existing Cab though I believe, and that one I think has been installed since 2013.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »

A telephone number search always shows available if you have FTTC. Only an address search shows a waiting list on a full cabinet.

Codelook can show how many properties your cabinet serves, which can be a good indicator to wether a new cabinet is required. It doesn't have to be full to get a new cabinet, it could just be nearing capacity. OpenReach are playing catch up with full cabinets, I'd just be surprised if they are installing it for housing still under development.

Webbs1978

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 06:13:02 PM »

A telephone number search always shows available if you have FTTC. Only an address search shows a waiting list on a full cabinet.

Codelook can show how many properties your cabinet serves, which can be a good indicator to wether a new cabinet is required. It doesn't have to be full to get a new cabinet, it could just be nearing capacity. OpenReach are playing catch up with full cabinets, I'd just be surprised if they are installing it for housing still under development.

Ah yes you're correct. Address checker shows 'waiting list' on the cabinet fttc as you suggested...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »

Ah yes you're correct. Address checker shows 'waiting list' on the cabinet fttc as you suggested...
I only discovered that anomaly last week thanks to Ronski. That certainly makes more sense. OpenReach tend to play catch up rather than planning ahead with FTTC capacity

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »

It's great to see more Huawei's going in, at least it gives some of us a chance to get off of ECI cab's  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Webbs1978

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »

It's great to see more Huawei's going in, at least it gives some of us a chance to get off of ECI cab's  :fingers:

I'm assuming I'm staying on the ECI cab too, although I'm migrating from BT to Uno next week so don't know if that'll move me to the Huawei or not...

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »

No it won't, John posted some useful info in the other thread, I'm going to order a new line once I'm sure my Huawei is live, then cancel my existing one once it's up and running.

Once your new cab is running you could switch to ADSL, then back to FTTC and that should get you on the Huawei cab if I understand correctly what we know/expect to happen.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »

As Ronski just pointed out, a migration keeps you on the same port, therefore on the same cabinet.

If you are out of contract with your current ISP then following Ronski's plan should get you on the Huawei. Just wait till the new cabinet is live, order a new line which should be on the new cabinet, then cancel the original line.

Unfortunately I had 9 months left on my contract with my ISP and couldn't justify a 2nd line for 9 months. It meant I've had to jump through quite a few hoops to get round how OpenReach allocate FTTC ports. I'll find out this Friday if it worked and I get on the Huawei cabinet.

With there being no individual waiting list/ordering system for each cabinet, it's all guess work from a mix of experience, advice on here, and advice from OpenReach. The 2nd line route looks to be the best chance of getting on your new cabinet. You can also take out 1 month contacts with some ISP's as a bit of insurance that you don't get tied into a new contract if you get lumped with the ECI again.

Webbs1978

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »

As Ronski just pointed out, a migration keeps you on the same port, therefore on the same cabinet.

If you are out of contract with your current ISP then following Ronski's plan should get you on the Huawei. Just wait till the new cabinet is live, order a new line which should be on the new cabinet, then cancel the original line.

Unfortunately I had 9 months left on my contract with my ISP and couldn't justify a 2nd line for 9 months. It meant I've had to jump through quite a few hoops to get round how OpenReach allocate FTTC ports. I'll find out this Friday if it worked and I get on the Huawei cabinet.

With there being no individual waiting list/ordering system for each cabinet, it's all guess work from a mix of experience, advice on here, and advice from OpenReach. The 2nd line route looks to be the best chance of getting on your new cabinet. You can also take out 1 month contacts with some ISP's as a bit of insurance that you don't get tied into a new contract if you get lumped with the ECI again.

I think it's too late for me to try the same, my migration completes in 6 days and I have no idea when the newer Cab will be live. I think I'll settle for being away from BT for now...

anything