Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Changed ISP with regular disconnects  (Read 18211 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Changed ISP with regular disconnects
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »

whatever is the cause the DLM hates these VDSL disconnects I must be in purple at the moment  >:(

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

I am not convinced its just a PPPoE issue, as PPPoE instability has absolutely no affect on DLM, DLM only cares about the actual sync stability.

If I remember correctly, the HG2500's logs show only the PPPoE-related activity (session stopping, reconnecting, etc) with no mention of a DSL resync.  But (again IIRC), the giveaway that a resync's happening is that the DSL Uptime resets back to zero.

...and the 2500's really really slow at syncing and logging in.  Think 10 or so minutes between a disconnect and a reconnect.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »

I am on the phone now to FV anyone got any questions for them ?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »

The trick for me was to keep banging on about how comes the line was rock-solid at X speed with previous providers, but not with VF -- when the only thing that's changed is the modem/router.  Make clear you know that the physical line is identical between providers.  Mention OpenReach a lot.

Then maybe offer them a scientific experiment -- they let you use a different router just to test whether the HG2500's at fault or not.  Make it sound like you'd be doing them a favour :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »

displaced have said most of that, so the 1st line support say they are monitoring the line and raised another ticket yet teach2 should be calling me back tomorrow to access the state of my line and they made another note for customers username & password.

Becoming a dab hand with this ISP support and off work to-day so it's not to bad and becoming more relaxed about this issue and the members on Kitz is definitely helping my morale  :clap:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »

Have you tried emailing the CEO of VF?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »

Then maybe offer them a scientific experiment -- they let you use a different router just to test whether the HG2500's at fault or not.  Make it sound like you'd be doing them a favour :)

Haha, I like this strategy :thumbs:
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »

Becoming a dab hand with this ISP support and off work to-day so it's not to bad and becoming more relaxed about this issue and the members on Kitz is definitely helping my morale  :clap:

Excellent!  A nice bit of stubborn, calm, determination.  Go Gandhi  on 'em.  If a VDSL Modem resyncs in the woods, but there's no-one there to view the logs, has it really happened?  What good is a modem, Mr. Vodafone, if you are unable to maintain sync? 

Etc, etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:23:18 PM by displaced »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »

Have you tried emailing the CEO of VF?

Yes I emailed CEO did that about 2 weeks ago and it ends up on the directorscomplaints and all I got from that was the DLM was reset during migration and will settle down in 10 days

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »

I tried explaining to VF that there was no 10-day monitoring period for FTTC connections.  You can imagine how well that went.  It's a sad state of affairs when you know more than the level 2 techs after 10 mins of googling.

Mind you, I always play it a bit passive-aggressive when talking to them.  'Oh - I thought that was only for ADSL?  That's what an Openreach engineer told me.  They're mistaken?  Well that's quite difficult to accept given that their company designed, built, owns and operates the vast majority of the nation's FTTC connections and which Vodafone simply purchases access from.... isn't it?". 

And I do like getting into the details with support techies.  When they come out with tripe I do the old tried-and-tested "Are you sure about that?" and "Would that be something which Openreach or BT would confirm if I emailed them? Really? Excellent - I'll do that.  I do like finding out how this stuff works.  And your name again is?"

Surprising how often they start speaking sense after giving them enough rope to hang themselves with.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »

I'm sorry your having problems with the connection.

Isn't there a way of detecting the login details similar to how people cracked the Sky owned modem/router?

Update..

I was looking through some vodaphone forum threads and noticed displaced name there lol.

Wow they really appear like a pile of sh..eep

It seems like most people are getting the details by threatening them to make a formal complaint, complain to ofcom, or I guess there would be a case that they have broke the contract as its their equipment that can't maintain a connection. The general opinion seems to be, if you can't get the details then seek to leave the isp. They seem most unreasonable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:08:39 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »

Hah, yeah ... I'm making a nuisance of myself wherever possible!

They really are a bit of a shower.  However, I'm really hoping some of the efforts to extract the PPPoE info from the boxes themselves or across the wire will bear some fruit.  Sadly, it's not as straightforward to extract as the way Sky are doing their auth.

What really gets my goat is that VF's staff won't come out with a plain, unambiguous sentence like "We do not allow routers other than ours to be used on our network".  Instead, it's "We do not support third-party routers".  The two sentences do not mean the same thing, or carry the same implications.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »

For the pricey sum of £3-99, a brand new, Vodafone badged, Huawei HHG2500 is due to arrive in The Cattery next Wednesday.

What I shall do with it? I haven't yet decided. :shrug2:

I guess one of the very first tests would be to allow it to synchronise with the Planet VC-230N and see for how long that state is maintained. If the two devices remain in synchronism for 24 hours then that will be the first datum point.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »

congratulations on your purchase of such prized equipment :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 06:05:51 PM »

It cost me £6.99 for the delivery charge from Vodafone and you get a New 2500 and postage for £3.99 it blows me away.

First of all would the 2500 need the ACS comunication to auto config the DSL parameters as there is no manual DSL settings in the GUI to set up the mode for ADSL or VDSL the only setting you have are for the router side
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6