Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will OR ever swap out ECI Cabinets?  (Read 7784 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Will OR ever swap out ECI Cabinets?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »

Cabinet capacity is shown here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

And you can find how many premises are passed by your cabinet via the link below.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Ours shows 609, we have an ECI which supports 256 lines, we've also just had a second cabinet installed  (Huawei) which supports at least another 288, possibly 384.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:04:42 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »

Why can't you double your speed by getting another FTTC line? Obviously it will cost twice as much in total as one line.

I wasn't sure if this was possible on FTTC unless the ISP had something setup at its end?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »

Thanks for the links @Ronski

I noticed on ISPreview they have this story over there: The UK Impact of Full to Capacity FTTC “Fibre Broadband” Cabinets

An excerpt of the article.
A new piece of research estimates that around 3% of premises in the United Kingdom could be affected by a full to capacity FTTC (VDSL2) “fibre broadband” street cabinet on Openreach’s (BT) network, which might prevent you from ordering a faster service.

Last September 2016 we ran a special article on the subject of “full” street cabinets and their impact upon consumers, which explained why such cabinets fill up and the problems that it can cause. Back then we understood that around 2,000 of the 77,000 live street cabinets were full and awaiting upgrade.

Tackling capacity problems is a natural reality for all major network operators and many such issues are fairly quick to resolve, particularly if all that is needed is to simply fit an additional line card into a spare slot inside the cabinet. However where civil engineering work is required to install more equipment (e.g. adding an additional street cabinet) then Openreach told ISPreview.co.uk that the “average” wait was usually around 6-9 months.

Ok I found out all the cabinets in my area except added last year is ECI.

According to codelook there are 391 properties and the cabinet can serve 256.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:57:34 PM by Bowdon »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 06:08:11 PM »

I wasn't sure if this was possible on FTTC unless the ISP had something setup at its end?

It would depend on exactly what you want to achieve, if you aren't concerned about the speed of a single threaded download, but want more bandwidth for multiple users or simultaneous tasks, then a load balancing solution could have different ISPs for each line.

I expect that the vast majority of people would not be interested in paying twice as much for double the bandwidth. There are still loads of people who are still on ADSL, despite the availability of FTTC.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »

This G.992.3 (ADSL2) user has considered the above subject line and suggests that it might be answered by having a saved eBay search for "ECI Telecom Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41" . . .  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »

That's only if you need line bonding, so it appears as 1 connection. You can simply buy 2 FTTC services and run 2 modems with a dual wan router. That would be exactly twice the price. Line bonding will cost considerably more than 2 x an FTTC line as it requires the ISP to have things setup at their end.

391 lines served by a 256 cabinet is not bad.
We had 877 lines served by a 256 line ECI till recently. They just added a 288 Huawei (expandable to 384). This doesn't count another 40 or so new properties still not showing on codelook.

The problem of capacity is worse with ECI cabinets as it requires a whole new cabinet. Huawei have been developing their hardware and have released larger line cards. Both the Huawei cabinets used by OpenReach can now be expanded a little for a fraction of the price of a whole new cabinet. If they had to add another small Huawei to your existing cabinet it would almost be a fibre port for every property. So that's probably unlikely as they also want to add/sell G.Fast.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »

ECI already had 64 port line cards from the start, so you could say Huawei are catching up in that regard.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »

I was just reading a thread on Thinkbroadband forum: Faster FTTPoD now offered by Openreach

It seems ECI cabinets are going to be missing out on products again.

A guy called Andy over there, not sure if he's a member here, wrote;

Same goes with GEA-FTTP. The up to 330/30 services are £92 for the installation and the 500/165 and 1000/220 are £500 for the installation (but it's reduced to half price for this year to £250).

I wonder if Openreach are deploying 10G-PON for those ordering the fast speed variants?

Edit: Doing a bit more digging - it states that the 500/165 and 1000/220 services are "are not supported on ECI ONT’s" and that FVA is not available with those speed variants (FVA is Huawei only as well).

So it looks like we're missing out again  >:(

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:21 AM »

You mean andy__h?   :no:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 01:07:37 AM »

It seems ECI cabinets are going to be missing out on products again.
That's nothing to do with ECI cabinets, but rather the ONTs (optical network terminals).

ECI and Huawei are the suppliers of OpenReach FTTP ONT's, in the same way they supplied the VDSL2 modems for FTTC.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »

yes but do the ECI cabinet areas also have the matching vendor for the ONT? it would seem logical.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »

Yes they do. However FTTP(oD) doesn't have to use the same ONT/L2S the nearest FTTC cabinet connects to, and of course if there are Huawei cabinets connected to the same headend there's a Huawei ONT/L2S present. Even if not FTTP(oD) can go to a different headend from where the cabinets terminate. Were I to order FTTPoD here it would be served from Leeds Basinghall, not Hunslet as the cabinet is.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »

That is good to know.

I think I'm getting ECI-phobia. The fear of being left behind on an ECI cabinet  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 04:34:08 PM »

Just looked at my cab details. They have an incorrect post code. Crowfly distance is 280 m and road 600 m between the two. Therefore how reliable is their data on properties passed?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

Codelook guesses the cabinet location from the postcodes it serves. It is pretty accurate with properties passed though. There may not be a list of where each cabinet is, but number of properties in a postcode is widely available. I've counted properties served by my cabinet using royal mail postcode/address search and it was pretty exact.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything