Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cant edit my own posts.....  (Read 7767 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Cant edit my own posts.....
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »

I've noticed that on this forum I cannot edit my own posts. The window opens with a big red bar at the top saying Loading and I can enter text but when I click save it has not saved anything in the entry at all. I know this works OK on other SMF based forums I use regularly.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Rahat

• Reg Member
Re: Cant edit my own posts.....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:41:18 PM »

Hmm, clear cache and see if it works.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

Hmm, clear cache and see if it works.

Nope

Just edited this one
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:32:37 PM by broadstairs »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »

You should be able to - which post cant you edit?

Ive just checked your profile permissions and it says

Code: [Select]
Show permissions - broadstairs
Position:  Reg Member

Board specific permissions for: All boards

modify_own
Modify posts - Own post Given by: Regular Members

Modify posts
Own post: Y
Any post: N
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »

Now the difference is small but significant..... I just used modify which works just fine on an earlier post in this thread. However if I use the quick edit icon at the RH side of a post it does not take. That's what I'm talking about....

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »

Hmm, you're right!! Strange that I've NEVER used the quick edit feature and nobody's mentioned it before as not working.

It's something we're gonna have to look at. Thanks for pointing it out.

For now, just use the Modify link I guess!

What browser are you using out of interest?
Chris

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:36:21 PM »

I use Firefox V3. Incidentally I use another SMF based forum all the time and the quick edit works fine on that forum....

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:17:09 AM by broadstairs »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »

I don't know if this is relevant, but using Opera I tried the quick edit button on one of my posts.
When I clicked "quick edit", the edit page did open and I could type on it, but a wide green bar appeared across the top of the page with the word "LOADING" on it.
Once that was there, it neither loaded nor went away.

As I say, I could type on the edit page, but did not proceed to an actual edit so do not know if the change would have "taken".

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »

I have just had the same in FF.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »

Yes there does indeed seem to be a problem with it.

I spent a couple of hours this morning trying to find out where the problem actually is.  Theres been several others on the SMF support forums who have reported similar, but I havent actually found the solution.  Like I said I spend quite a while looking through code too to see if I could find which or where in the code it was...  but I had to go out and couldnt spend any more time on it.

From what I have found out on the SMF forums I have an idea of how and when it happened (it was a bug in one of the early versions), but because Ive made many changes to the design template - if I install the fix straight from the SMF template then I'd loose a lot of custom functionality that Ive added to the forum - theres quite a lot of those.
I'll have another look when I get more time.  Because its now looking like I may have to start with a new template again and redo it.  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 04:06:36 AM »

Okay fixed (I hope).   Took a lot longer than I thought  :'(
- redid with a new template - but then came across another problem with a previous hack, that used  the post headers needed for AJAX (quick edit). 

Ive done a work around to see how it goes.  The 2 hacks originally caused a conflict when I first redid them as they both go in the same header and I definitely want to keep the 1st original hack as its very useful - IMHO more so than the quick edit.

Brownie point to anyone who spots the difference for the work around on the new layout.

-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:19:05 AM »

Kitz have you been up all night watching the US elections?

Anyway yes the quick edit does work fine now. I got used to using it regularly on anither forum because of my bad typing  :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »

Nope...   If i'm working on the forums then I'll normally do so at night when theres hardly anyone around. 

TBH it wasnt so much the quick edit function I was trying too fix...  but it started off when I was looking for a fix and found that the display template that I'd used a few years ago.. was unfortunately the one that had a bug in which stopped the AJAX function from working properly.  SMF is very modular and has lots of different templates for various sections.. normally you use the default and base your own design on that. 
Therefore once you have your own template you leave it alone and any security updates etc continue as they amend other files.

I couldnt replace straight off with a new template because that would take away some of the modifications that Ive personally added to the forum over the past few years.. so I thought I was best redoing the template so I had an up to date one with all the functions that I'd added to the old one.  I didnt want to close the forum for maintenance - because I still wanted to be able to test what it was displaying after each change I made.   If I'd done this during the day it would not be a good idea particularly if people were making a post etc... or at least wondering what was going on if things were changing.

It took longer than anticipated because I have a custom hack for the forum which displays a icon on each new post in a thread (SMF doesnt do this by default - it only does it when showing the topic lists). 

Now I find this feature very handy..  but the problem came that it no longer worked on the new template and I couldnt find a mod or hack anywhere that works with the updated template... so I was trying to find a way to get the to display again.
The problem being that AJAX calls the post subject header (eg Re: Cant edit my own posts) which is where the old NEW used to display  so..  I had to devise my own workaround.  Which is why the new "NEW" icon now shows in a different position that it used to.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:24:09 PM by kitz »
-----