Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mail hosting  (Read 10453 times)

adrianw

• Reg Member
Re: Mail hosting
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

I don't know if VirtualNames' email service can pull email from gmail, but gmail can be configured to push email to an email address and optionally delete it. See gmail settings / forwarding and POP/IMAP. I use my main email address for most things, but my gmail address for stuff I want to access from my phone. It does mean that I have to have a periodic purge of my gmail inbox.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 07:45:28 AM »

> I don't know if VirtualNames' email service can pull email from gmail

I'm not sure they have this. Some other mail services do, as I recall. Push or redirect from gmail would be the answer then. I'm afraid this might mean some digging around in Google's help.

btw stuff about webmail is here
    http://www.virtualnames.co.uk/email_services.php

Actually, regarding GMail, if found these articles

https://www.labnol.org/internet/transfer-gmail/28088/

or (much more awkward)

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en

Don't know if these are any use?

I have contacted UKservers to ask them about auto-importing mail in general. Hope this helps you.

[Moderator edited to merge four consecutive posts into one.]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:39:47 PM by burakkucat »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »

Hi

@weaver - I had a look at your link and I am unclear over the space.

Please could I ask is 400mb to be shared over the 10 users (obviously there maybe less users but let's say there is 10 user accounts), or can each mailbox be set to 400 mb

Also, our shared platforms after checking, Horde shows the settings to setup additional external mailboxes for collection into the account, either by secured or insecure pop or imap

However, as I previously stated, we do not allow the initial post for email

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

@d2d4j - I just rechecked UKServers' quoted mail storage limit is per-domain, and all the mailboxes allocations must add up to less than that total.

So for example, I have 250MB for a main mailbox, 40MB and 40MB for two others, and this adds up to less than 400MB total, so the rest is currently unallocated (because I can't add up). I could therefore increase the size of the first mailbox for example, which currently has 2MB of data sitting in it, because I haven't been bothered to clean it out.

I could set it to 'age out' the data, which is probably what I have already done, can't remember. [Usually my customers’ (when I was a consultant) mailboxes were always nearly empty as they were being continually emptied out every few minutes to hours by some client machine.]

When you want more than 400MB storage, I would ask UKServers’ staff for their recommendations, just to check. Buying an additional block of 10 mailboxes gives you an immediate extra 400MB total for that extra block.

If you need more than 400MB per individual mailbox, then I would have to ask them about that. If someone has a requirement for a lot of storage in an individual single mailbox (for example, if you are never cleaning one out) then this is a red flag. In fact, I will ask them just so that I know.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »

Hi weaver

Many thanks for letting me know, much appreciated thank you

I guess that makes my offer a super offer, @£1 per month plus vat, cover hosting and email on 2Gb space. User decides how they want this set.

Also, as I looked into if our shared platform could do remote email collection from other providers, I realised that we could also add in full calendar/contact shares, using syncml, but then also we could go further, and let client use activesync, including full autosetup, which I will be completing a full how to on a technical forum I mod on

Anyway, sorry as I said I am not posting to sell, but always good to know what others offer for comparison

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 04:45:02 PM »

Admins - I don't want to be doing an inappropriate advert for UKservers. I just wanted to make it easier for the other posters as info IMO is a bit hard to find and I myself find personal recommendations incredibly useful in a world full of marketing darkening bollocks-speak and where you don't know who to trust. So do please shout if you think tips / ( plugs :-) ) are inappropriate.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »

If it should happen to be the case that someone's requirements for email storage are beyond what UKServers offer (about to find out what), then I myself would check out Andrews and Arnold's email service.

[I haven't yet given UKServers enough time to get back to me with answers, given that I actually have never had any need for anything other than very temporary, buffer-type storage for business users.]

According to the AA blurb, is completely scalable, so ok for large businesses. You don't have to be an ISP-customer, and you don't have to use them for domain name registration or dns hosting if you don't want to, so absolutely anyone at all can use it. I'd be amazed if it doesn't completely support IPv6 (a plus for me, on a silly, pedantic point of principle). I have no concrete idea about the detailed functionality on offer, the info on their website has a fair few general points, and there are some pics of UI on their support wiki page. Wish there was a test /demo mailbox account for people to play around with.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »

Hi weaver

Many thanks, I'm not sure about your previous post sorry, as I did not think you were been biased sorry

My offer only applies to kitz users only, and I would check if they were posters on kitz

Everyone is free to make their own choices, I would never push my services, and yes, we offer same, no domain, NS or dns etc required to take offer up

There are a couple of users on here who know some of our biggest clients are, but as yet no one has taken the offer up, but at 12 per annum plus vat, I'm not worried, I don't think it would make me millionaire haha

I am interested in what others offer though, as it can and does change, and do like to participate where I think it maybe of use.

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:11 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, nothing inappropriate has been said in this thread.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, nothing inappropriate has been said in this thread.

Likewise.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »

I have opened an "Advanced email" account at virtualnames and transferred my domain there.  Due to my lazy nature I also didn't read the whole thread and missed out on John's generous offer for Kitizens - still, now I have a fallback option!  Weaver's reputation hangs in the balance (not really).

My plan is to forward all of my many webmail accounts to my own domain and start to try and migrate myself and the family to our own domain based emails - mine has really got out of control, I have about 6 different webmail accounts I use regularly plus a bunch of not-used-much ones.

Have to say Virtualnames have been excellent on the support side so far, its kind of embarrassing bothering them for £10 for a year, lol

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 05:42:13 AM »

> Weaver's reputation hangs in the balance (not really).
 :o

> Have to say Virtualnames have been excellent on the support side so far, its kind of embarrassing bothering them for £10 for a year, lol

Very glad to hear it. They do seem to simply be nice real humans with names.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:45:46 AM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything