Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Mate Vince... Networking / Telephone install videos  (Read 10696 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: My Mate Vince... Networking / Telephone install videos
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 02:23:35 AM »

I'm looking for a new master socket to router cable but do wonder what the benefit is of using an RJ45 at the master socket over an RJ11 which is mandatory at the router (or at least is with mine).

My current cable is a shielded twisted pair type but the plug ends are a bit dodgy now after a number of years use being plugged in and out etc. Also not sure what if anything the apparent shielding buys me.

Stuart

I recall being told on here (or maybe TBB) that shielding does nothing unless its terminated to an earth at both ends, and being metallic can only serve as a type an antenna that would 'attract' unwanted radiation/RFI ...thats what I remember being said anyway

oooh its great being back on DSL lol...
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:13 AM »

Personally my experience shows that different cables didnt have an affect unless I used a really long flat extension cable, but short flat cables, vs twisted no difference on my line.

Likewise I never notice differences between test socket and normal socket, rf3 filter actually made my sync worse when I had one fitted during my time on aaisp.

There is a lot of fuss about how many problems are solved within the home, but my own experience is problems are caused externally on openreach or BTw equipment.

e.g.

When I got moved to a broadcom based dslam during my time on adsl which aaisp forced BTw to do, that yielded an improvement. In the adsl days BTw had the usual dual vendor policy, and one vendor was better than the other.
SRA on ukoline turned my line from been unstable on 15db + interleaving to having over a year uptime on 6db + fast path. Ukonline are the only UK isp I am aware off that ever used SRA in the uk, and even then it was a unofficial feature that dan a ukonline staff member implemented as a favour for some tbb users. For me SRA is a massive game changer on adsl, however it seemed difficult to implement with compatibility issues akin to the ECI g.inp problems.
A engineer who turned up on a sunday to fix a voice fault then did something at the exchange to fix my adsl (which also went down), before he did the fix, I had a weird issue where my line wasnt even able to sync at 442kbit, but then the upstream signal strength jumped up to be easily able to manage 1mbit+, I got no idea what he did.
When ukonline ceased to exist, I ended up moving to cable broadband until FTTC arrived at which point I moved back to dsl. :)  Thankfully for me vdsl has been way more stable than adsl was.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:52:33 AM by Chrysalis »

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »

Faceplate or NTE5, as my understanding is the surge protector is on the board in the main body of the NTE5.
Pages: 1 [2]