Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Mate Vince... Networking / Telephone install videos  (Read 10694 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
My Mate Vince... Networking / Telephone install videos
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »

:)

Hi all

have u seen this guy's website and youtube channel? he's quite good, seems to be an ex-BTo engineer to me, I could be wrong, but he has some excellent informative videos on networking, Telephone, Patch Panel installs etc and much more

http://www.mymatevince.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChY9Cgv-iyPDvf1Bkyx20OQ
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: My Mate Vince... Networking / Telephone install videos
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »

We've discussed him a few times. Many Kitz users are using his DSL cables, including myself. I recall others disliked his cables, and there were a few reports of them breaking immediately. I often recommend his cables though, as for me it's the best cable I've used, even over a very expensive Belkin cable and the also highly rated Tandy cables.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »

Most of the video is old news to me except right at the end about the surge protector, thats interesting.

I suspect I may already have no surge protector as this video is 2 years old, and thats before I had my pair swap, and when the pair swap was done I was also given a new master socket.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:58:51 AM by Chrysalis »

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

Discovered his vids a week or two back.

Not aware of the surge protector thing either.  Neither did the Kelly Engineer who installed my VDSL a couple of months ago, as he didn't replace the NTE5 master socket.

Are his modem cables worth the investment?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:01:39 AM »

The advice in the video is very sound in my humble opinion.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »

I bought one of his modem cables. It had a lower sync than the stock one. I did do the swap at the peak of my snr hoping to gain a few mb. I have bought other items with no issue.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »

I'm looking for a new master socket to router cable but do wonder what the benefit is of using an RJ45 at the master socket over an RJ11 which is mandatory at the router (or at least is with mine).

My current cable is a shielded twisted pair type but the plug ends are a bit dodgy now after a number of years use being plugged in and out etc. Also not sure what if anything the apparent shielding buys me.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:43:22 AM »

Stuart,

Out of interest what is the shielding actually connected to?
If its nothing then it is likely to make matters worse rather than better, as it will act as a aerial pickup for interference that could then end up on the very wires that you are trying to protect.
 :no:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »

Without stripping the cable I am not sure if it is terminated or not, certainly no external connection for it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »

> I bought one of his modem cables. It had a lower sync than the stock one.

Same experience here. But we should do our measurements properly - and I didn't - in the sense that you make repeated observations both before and after swap over to make sure you are not just seeing either the effects of DLM getting upset or natural variations in the modem sync rate for whatever reason.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

I was interested by his external phone cable connecting box.   Does that look like something OR themselves would use, and therefore that they wouldn't be surprised or concerned to see on the incoming cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-EXTERNAL-TELEPHONE-CABLE-REPAIR-KIT-/351842790758?hash=item51eb76ed66

huwwatkins

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »

My external cable is jointed to the internal using one of them. I can get a photo.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 06:21:14 PM »

Does that look like something OR themselves would use, and therefore that they wouldn't be surprised or concerned to see on the incoming cable?

Those "sausages" are commonly used throughout Openreach's domain. So, in answer to your query, no surprise and no concern.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »

My ears pricked up too at the comments about the surge protector at the end. As Vince says, I wonder if they do apply to some ADSL2 users as well. Never mind VDSL2, I would think that I am one of the least likely candidates, as my lines are ~4.5 mi long and so I don't use any of the high frequencies, not even the ADSL2+ ones.

I wonder how would one go about getting BT to swap out the NTE5? (For the usual charge, of course.)

What happens if a surge has tweaked the surge protector? Which way would they fail? If they are like the devices that I am used to they don't fail safe, they just stop protecting you but I don't know what a knackered one that is pining for The Fjords does for the signal quality.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 02:19:26 AM »

My ears pricked up too at the comments about the surge protector at the end. As Vince says, I wonder if they do apply to some ADSL2 users as well. Never mind VDSL2, I would think that I am one of the least likely candidates, as my lines are ~4.5 mi long and so I don't use any of the high frequencies, not even the ADSL2+ ones.

I wonder how would one go about getting BT to swap out the NTE5? (For the usual charge, of course.)

What happens if a surge has tweaked the surge protector? Which way would they fail? If they are like the devices that I am used to they don't fail safe, they just stop protecting you but I don't know what a knackered one that is pining for The Fjords does for the signal quality.

what video is this? the link i supplied was just to his website and videos list?

but I recall we discussed at length years ago about the 26a Surge Arrestor (is that the right name?) may cause issues on xDSL - I removed mine off my old faceplate years ago...no difference.
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: [1] 2