Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Socket Setup.  (Read 6958 times)

divybc

Socket Setup.
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »

Hello, people. I just have a question I was hoping some experienced guys can answer.

I recently just decided my house needed a shape up in terms of phone sockets and extensions goes due to my master being at no mains or in fact nowhere near one. So with that being said, I paid for an ex BT engineer to come round for a decent price and hook everything up.

Here is what he done I will try my best to explain and provide pics if needed.

So the original master is still the same socket, no changes in appearance. He has connected my income wire onto another wire, ran that into the room where the broadband is predominantly used and put the master there with an MK3 pre-filtered plate on for the fibre.

After this, he said he will make sure it "doubles back" and the old master will be technically an extension just for the house phone.

Effectively he has left me with 2 masters and said this is how any engineer would do this. He was a real nice chap and seemed knowledgeable and very easy to talk to, I'm just not sure about it as I read up online (bt forums specifically) saying this is frowner upon yet I have no idea why because I am not seeing any issues.

Opinions?

Cheers!

divybc

Re: Socket Setup.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »

Sorry, just noticed can someone please move this to sockets and wiring?

[Moderator note: Moved, as suggested.]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:03:53 PM by burakkucat »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »

Effectively he has left me with 2 masters and said this is how any engineer would do this.
I wouldn't agree with that.

Technically he's not allowed to do what he's done. Only OpenReach are meant to touch anything before the master socket, including extending the incoming feed to a new master socket. That new bit of cable extending your incoming feed is now OpenReach's side of the master socket, and so part of their network. I would hope he used the same cable OpenReach do.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

divybc

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »

He used wire with blue, green, brown and orange. Not the same I believe.

He did work for openreach for 20 years so idk what to do really.

You reckon if I ever need openreach (touch wood this has no issues) they would have a problem with my setup?

I could technically just say I moved in here like this?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:17:14 PM by divybc »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »

Twenty years ago Openreach did not exist, so I shall presume he is ex-BT engineering staff.  :-\

Hopefully he has converted the original "master socket" into a standard secondary extension, by removing the resistive - capacitive shunt from across the pair. No competent member of BT staff, former or current, would leave a telephony circuit doubly terminated.

If the circuit is working to your satisfaction, then leave well alone. If necessary, you could be totally ignorant of the wiring set-up . . . there are a few of us who would check such things before buying a property. But, on average, we are few and far between!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

divybc

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »

Phone rings, talks fine and zoe said it's working properly. It dials out fine, no issues at all.

Broadband is synched at 80/20 for over 7 hours now and doesn't drop when the phone rings. Safe to say nothing is wrong?

Just if a fault ever occurred and I needed openreach I don't want this to be a hurdle.

Thanks for that burakkucat!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »

Phone rings, talks fine and zoe said it's working properly. It dials out fine, no issues at all.

Broadband is synched at 80/20 for over 7 hours now and doesn't drop when the phone rings. Safe to say nothing is wrong?

Yes, that's a fairly safe assumption to make.

Just if a fault ever occurred and I needed openreach I don't want this to be a hurdle.

In that case, to paraphrase Manuel; "you know nothing, you come from Barcelona".  :D

divybc

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »

Haha, appreciate the help :)

Thanks a lot.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »

With respect to multiple terminations on one circuit (capacitor/resistor), isn't that effectively what happens when you use a plugin filter in each socket?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »

With respect to multiple terminations on one circuit (capacitor/resistor), isn't that effectively what happens when you use a plugin filter in each socket?

I would also be intereted to discuss that point, as I am inclined to agree.   Or have we discussed it elsewhere?

I did once encounter a real problem caused, in part, by a house builder that had fitted a second master socket.  The thing was, in addition to having a second master, the builder had also managed to accidentally swap the line pair between the two sockets.   This leads to the two capacitors in series shunting the pair, via the ring wire in the middle, with no series resistor.   That was pre DSL, but it pretty much killed dialup modem connections too, even the voice audio sounded muffled. :)

Also shunted by two resistors of course, but that was fairly harmless, it was the cap's that did the damage.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »

I'm no expert on the subject, but I suspect that the capacitor and resistor values in the plug-in filters are different to those used in the master socket, because the plug-in is only expected to support a single phone (with a REN of 1, probably) whereas the master socket supports a REN of 4.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, a plug-in microfilter will just have a capacitor between the B-wire and the "bell"-wire of the telephony socket. There won't be a resistor between the "bell"-wire and the A-wire.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, a plug-in microfilter will just have a capacitor between the B-wire and the "bell"-wire of the telephony socket. There won't be a resistor between the "bell"-wire and the A-wire.

Agreed, but this will still place multiple 1.8uF capacitors across the line if you have phones plugged into them (assuming the phones use a 3 wire connection, which many modern ones don't).
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

divybc

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »

I haven't had any connection issues thus far, seems to be working as expected. I guess he has done the job to a good standard whether it be the correct way or the wrong way.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »

Agreed, but this will still place multiple 1.8uF capacitors across the line if you have phones plugged into them (assuming the phones use a 3 wire connection, which many modern ones don't).

Which is one reason why a centralised filter is strongly recommended.

Pages: [1] 2