Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cisco 1830 WAP  (Read 14284 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Cisco 1830 WAP
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »

Looks like I've been conned. Reporting to ebay, here's hoping.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »

Thanks to ebay, the Cisco WAPs have finally turned up, presumably only when ebay threatened the seller. Here's hoping to goodness that they are kosher, haven't seen them yet. Ebay suspended this dodgy guy's account. So possibly a happy ending, too soon to tell.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »

Cisco WAPs are here, after a month's delay. Opened the box, and, guess what, each is an 1832ixxxK9 not a K9C, so it is the correct hardware, but doesn't have the firmware that I need preinstalled. That firmware is called "Mobility Express", which is essential for me. God no, aargh - I thought I had checked. I'm sure I did after kitizen aesmith kindly warned me about this. In fact, that link to the ebay page even has "Mobility Express" in the url.

Anyway, so I'm screwed without some help getting the software updated. I could of course get my money back from ebay, but I want to keep the units. Need to check they power up even next, to make sure I haven't been given dead ones. Q: Not sure how to do that?

* So. If anyone with the required tools might like to rescue me then I will of course make it worth your while, or make a donation to wherever. I am sorry for being such a pest.

(Reason: I'm effectively bed-bound although I can (thank god) make it as far as the bathroom. But I lack the necessary tools, and in any case I'm too heavily drugged up / confused / in pain to be able to concentrate these days. For those not familiar with severe CFS, it's like being very drunk, not sure how much is the condition and how much the intensive drugs.)

This would involve re-flashing the two WAPs to put the Mobility Express s/w into them. I might have seen the webpage with the instructions on how to update the software.
    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/1/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide/getg_start.html#task_7588F4C009744AEFBB9EB754A713E390

I'm assuming the software is accessible and free.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »

(I'm assuming that Cisco, or a dealer would understandably tell me to take a running jump, because I didn't buy them direct from <x> and I don't know how to buy a support contract. But I would be happy to pay them to do it for me unless the cost is more than the cost of replacement devices. Mind you, I wouldn't even know where to start looking.)

If anyone does have a contact who could _definitely_ sort me out, then that would be great, not asking for freebies by any means. The problem about giving up and just buying some replacements is that exactly the same thing might happen again next time, and the vagueness of a lot of the for-sale descriptions means that I have had to try and nail sellers down to be precise, yet still got stuffed anyway.

huwwatkins

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »

If they are anything like other Cisco kit I've firmware updated (routers and switches) then you can do it by connecting to the console port using an RJ45 -> RS232 adaptor and pulling down the file via TFTP from your PC (you would have to setup a local TFTP server on your PC and connect to the WAP via ethernet but that's fairly easy with something like Open TFTP) some kit you could push the firmware over the console port but it was incredibly slow.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 05:55:47 AM »

Does anyone know where the software can be downloaded from (for a U.K. 1830 - part 1832xxxk9c I think aesmith said)? I think I have seen PC to Cisco console cables on Amazon, and I could get one of those if I can only find a volunteer to help with the physical and brain work.

If I can't get anyone to help me, and I have a couple of people I can still try, then I am thinking about getting hold of a console cable for the iPad, and I think there is an iPad TFTP server too, but I will have to hope that my mind clears sufficiently one day, and at this rate that won't be soon.

huwwatkins

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »

Depending on if the seller was an authorised re-seller Cisco TAC might be able to help you with the firmware (even if not they might help anyway). If not you will have to look at other less legitimate sources. I think the firmware you are after is air-ap1850-k9-me-8-2-100-0.zip

Generally you would log in to the AP via the console cable using something like putty and then use the command line to connect to a TFTP server to pull the file down.

The process to convert is covered in some detail in this post on the cisco forum:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12886396/aironet-1850-standalone-mobility-express-master

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »

Oh sod, then I've completely had it, if I can't even get hold of the software. The seller was some guy on eBay, so no help there. I think it's time to just give up and write this off, as I simply can't use these units now. They were brand-new sealed in proper packaging, never been opened.

I can't physically do the procedure as I can't even sit upright in a chair for many minutes, nor do I have the tools. And I've had absolutely no luck trying to find a volunteer to help me with the physical aspect of it thus far.

Could someone confirm that there's no chance of me getting hold of Mobility Express?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »

Here is a link to a Cisco Serial Management Port to USB Adapter.

The vendor's shop, G0OYQ - Steve, has lots of useful adapters, leads, connectors, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

Hi weaver

Here is the link for software, which I think is your but double check it, as I did it in a hurry

Many thanks

John

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286285791&flowid=75342&softwareid=286289839&release=8.3.111.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:28:20 PM by d2d4j »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

I tried Cisco's website chat thing. They said 'we don't have access to part codes' ! I thought 'clueless' was an Andrews and Arnold server, Cisco seem to have stolen the concept but taken it literally. I felt sick when I cut them off at that point.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »

Many many thanks to Burakkucat and d2d4j. Life saver.

Mrs Weaver will kill me for being so utterly useless thus far in my attempts to blanket her world with Apple-friendly, MU-MIMO goodness.

I need the 1830 one btw, this thread started off being about the 1850, but then changed model later on, so the original title, which keeps getting propagated, is very misleading.

I tried to download a .tar file, having navigated to what looks correct for the 1830, and was told where to go by the web server. I need to buy a service contract to be able to get hold of the s/w it seems, but I have no clue where to even start with that.

So now all I need is

(1) a service contract,

(2) possibly a huge pile of cash but then I would probably want a service contract anyway

(3) and a pair of hands plus brain to do the conversion work, as I am so nauseous at the moment. Mrs Weaver discovered that she had screwed up (xxx) and accidentally doubled up on my opiates [pain] a couple of days ago, so perhaps that's why I feel awful.

* Anyone have any clue how to buy a service contract? Any rough idea of costs?

I should be able to get a refund out of eBay, but I really really don't want to. In any event, if I would find a service contract highly useful anyway, I don't want to start all over again and pay £400 more for a replacement pair of units that (hopefully) have the correct firmware load, since these were such a good deal.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »

I need the 1830 one btw, this thread started off being about the 1850, but then changed model later on, so the original title, which keeps getting propagated, is very misleading.

Two paw-pushes on the keys and the job is done. Every post now has a "Cisco 1830 WAP" subject line.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »

Many thanks to the god-like powers of the admins.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »

Hi weaver

I would email Cisco with your eBay proof of purchase and you should receive a time listed link to download. I believe this only applies if they were brand new, unopened

I would ask for all versions of download, tar and zip, for both controller and express, so you can set a controller up and slave the others.

One of the aspects of a service contract is to get the latest software, which as with every software, would contain bugs and resolutions to previous bugs

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3