Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why I have left Plusnet and moved to AAISP  (Read 9038 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Why I have left Plusnet and moved to AAISP
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »

I left Plusnet after nine months.  They never managed to address the major issue which was intermittent huge latency.   In reality I don't think their knowledge of networking and DSL was sufficient for them to even understand the problem, let alone know where to look.  It was something to do with upload, as when it was in a bad mood I could trigger the problem with around 90-100K (bits/sec) upload.   I'm happy to say that no such problem exists on A&A which doubly confirms it was a Plusnet issue and not exchange or my end.

In the end the relationship with Plusnet just soured to the extent that they were pretty much saying that since I was running faster that "the estimate" I shouldn't be complaining, combined with suggestions of putting me onto a 1meg fixed rate.

Morseman

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 04:15:18 PM »

I'm actually giving up on AAISP and looking for another ISP.

Not Plusnet though!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

Why?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

huwwatkins

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »

I left Plusnet after nine months.  They never managed to address the major issue which was intermittent huge latency.   In reality I don't think their knowledge of networking and DSL was sufficient for them to even understand the problem, let alone know where to look.  It was something to do with upload, as when it was in a bad mood I could trigger the problem with around 90-100K (bits/sec) upload.   I'm happy to say that no such problem exists on A&A which doubly confirms it was a Plusnet issue and not exchange or my end.

In the end the relationship with Plusnet just soured to the extent that they were pretty much saying that since I was running faster that "the estimate" I shouldn't be complaining, combined with suggestions of putting me onto a 1meg fixed rate.

What issues were you having with latency? I believe I get something similar. A Small upload (in terms of % total of line capacity) sends the latency up as high as 200ms+.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »

With traffic shaping there is these considerations.

A traffic shaper needs to make itself the bottleneck so it can manipulate the way traffic flows.  Assuming we not talking about DPI stuff which can manipulate in other ways.
Higher traffic queue depths will make it less likely packets get dropped but more likely latency increases (bufferbloat).
There is various different types of shaper models available for use, such as codel and PRIQ.

An isp like plusnet run there own shaper systems which can frustrate users as it takes control away from them, it can also be a blessing tho if someone wants that automatically handled and are happy with the way the plusnet system works.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »

What issues were you having with latency? I believe I get something similar. A Small upload (in terms of % total of line capacity) sends the latency up as high as 200ms+.

That's effectively what I was seeing, although the numbers were higher on my slow line.   When it was bad it was hundreds of milliseconds RTT.   I don't think Plusnet traffic shaping would be relevant if the effect is triggered by upload, their traffic shaping would apply to download traffic and the whole problem was that these high latency episodes would slow download to a crawl.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »

I'm actually giving up on AAISP and looking for another ISP.

Why, out of interest?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »

A troll?

Morseman Just arrived

Date Registered: 09-01-2017, 15:10:47
Last Active:09-01-2017, 16:16:34

One post and then doesn't come back!

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:55:42 AM »

Perhaps, indeed. AA do have their share of awkward or unhappy customers and those who don't like paying their bills, if memory serves. Perhaps he was just shy.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything