Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The SSD Write Endurance test results are in: Updated for 850 EVO/PRO  (Read 36743 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Oops, meant bottom right  :-[
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I have said for ages, what do I need these speeds for, well I noticed videopad seems to want to reread the entire video source file if I do anything with the file, clipping, exporting etc.

When you have a 13 gig game recording as the source file on a spindle, it is is fair to say a fast SSD would help, but I am not sure yet if I want to be using my SSD's as storage for large video recordings/edits

In my case it's for plotting Chia, I have a Dell T5810 with 128GB ram with 110GB ram disk which reduces wear on the SSD drives. I don't have enough ram in my 3900X, only 32GB but thought I'd test a ram disk out of curiosity, it was just over three times faster than the ram disk on the Dell.

On the Dell I have a couple of 2TB Firecuda 520 drives, these have 3200TBW rating IIRC, but once the cache is full it really slows down.

If you have a decent SSD it would take a very long time to wear out with 13GB files. I've always used SSDs as temporary and working storage when backing up and converting Blu-ray's to H265, never worn a SSD out yet. In fact they are fairing really well with Chia plotting that writes about 1.4TB to disc for each plot.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:23:25 AM by Ronski »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

Oops, meant bottom right  :-[

Now I'm confused as that says it's a RAM Disk. ???
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

The two on the right are both ram disks, what's confusing?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything