Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The SSD Write Endurance test results are in: Updated for 850 EVO/PRO  (Read 36753 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: The SSD Write Endurance test has finally ended & results are in
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »

ive done the shortcut trick and its working spot on, now ive pinned the shortcut to the tray...opened it, ran a few pages and lo and behold the profiles folder has appeared in the RAM drive :)

thanks for showing me this neat trick

does QSOFT allow more than 1Gb to be assigned? (and is it free?)

edit: wow you have 32Gb...plenty there for RAM driving apps etc - ive got 2 spare sockets ive been dying to put another 2x4Gb in so I have 16Gb installed - i'd love to have a non-SATA SSD using PCIe lanes such as the NVMe one
my specs:

- Ivy-Bridge i5 @ 3.4Ghz CPU
- 8Gb Crucial (2x4) RAM
- Gigabyte H77M-D3Hv1 MOB
- 1Gb Gigabyte GTX 650 GPU
- XFX 450 Pro Core Edition PSU
- 250Gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
- 2Tb WD Red HDD
- 500Gb Seagate HDD
- PCIe WLAN (3x3) Intel 4695 @ 5Ghz
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 09:21:29 PM »

qsoft paid version is needed for really large ram drives, but with 16 gig of ram I have it at 2 gig.

On my laptop I think its 500 meg on 8 gig of ram.

my specs

haswell i5 4670k @ 4.3ghz
16 gig 1600 corsair ram
asus z87-plus
512 gig 850 pro samsung ssd for boot drive
nvidia gtx 1070 gpu
plus bunch of storage hdd's.

interestingly amd upcoming cpu's already affecting intel, they launching an i3 with unlocked multiplier and base clock of 4.2ghz :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:26:47 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »

pretty high end rig ronski :)

Yes it is, spent months building it. Got lucky with some 10% and even 20% discount codes on Ebay, and with suppliers like Scan selling through Ebay I saved a fair bit on the CPU, motherboard and memory  ;D
  • Corsair 350D Case
  • Intel Core i7 5820K 6 Core - running at 4.5Ghz
  • ASRock X99M Killer/3.1, Intel X99, S 2011-3, DDR4, SATA III 6Gb/s, SATAe, PCIe 3
  • HyperX FURY 32GB 4X8GB Quad Channel DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 DIMM
  • Hardware Labs - Black Ice Nemesis Radiator GTS 280 (2x140) - Black X99 PC Build
  • EK 00362 Suprem EVO X99 Nickel CPU block
  • PrimoChill 240mm CTR Phase II D5 Enabled White POM - Clear
  • Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 Vario
  • Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD
  • SanDisk 960GB Ultra II SATAIII 2.5inch SSD
  • 500GB HDD
  • Geforce EVGA 680

I used acrylic pipe for the water cooling and there is a build thread here with various pictures. I still have speed step/turbo boost etc enabled and it currently ticking over at 1200MHz, but will quite happily run at 4.5Ghz when needed, and not much louder - one of my monitors makes more noise than the PC at idle.

I used to run two 680's in my old rig which I still have and use, so have a 680 in each at the moment, I don't game much these days so haven't been able to justify to myself the expense of a newer card, although it really does deserve at least a 1070.

It's been in use for just over a year now, and needs a bit of a clean out.

I'll take a look at setting up a RAM disk as well - as I have plenty.

[Moderator edit to fix the broken bullet-point list.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:02:56 AM by burakkucat »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »

sweet unit Ronski - always wondered if Quad Channel makes much difference>? cos a lad told me he stuck to dual DDR3 on his build as DDR4 gives you more latency??? this was an ex work colleague at PC world and he was very good with computers, but if it can receive data 2 times faster than DDR3 and allow for faster transfer speeds then why not?? i just couldnt see it and thought to myself...he just couldnt afford to go that way lol... cos at the time it cost more to get the quad-channel boards and meant you had to get an LGA 2012 skt MOBO+CPU which cost much more...

As for AMD their new ZEN range is supposed to be able to compete with intels range in both speed and power usage (supposedly)

I watched a video on YT last night that said Intels new range is too expensive now,.... that i3 your Chrysalis is on about...they have a new pentium dual-core with Hyper Threading for just £65 and he tested it against the new i3 in gaming and it was literally neck in neck... yet the i3 is twice as much in price, I dunno if the Pentium is unlocked though....but its basically an i3 with slightly less L3 Cache

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:08:34 AM by snadge »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 11:29:13 AM »

In my old PC I have an Intel 530 SSD, purchased October 2013, this has had a total 6.62TB of data written to it, with a total power on time of 52 days.

My main PC for the last year has the following.

SanDisk Ultra II 960GB purchased 29 April last year, 2.4TB of writes, 32 days power on time. This drive is used for transcoding Blu Rays, so gets a lot of data written to it.
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB purchased 28 January last year, main OS drive, 2.4TB of writes, total power on time 39 days

I gave up worrying about the amount of writes to an SSD a long time ago, as you can see from the results in the first post if I continue at my current rate I should be good for over 300 years going by the result from the Samsung 840 EVO or 1000 years going by the 940 Pro. I think it safe to say I will have given up long before then  ;)

I've attached a benchmark of the 950 Pro, not as quick as advertised but that's not a controlled test so other things could be affecting the results.

One thing that's increasing is the total power on time, contrary to my wife's opinion I obvious don't spend all my time on the PC

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »

@snadge, I've not benched it in depth, there was a time years ago where I'd play around fine tuning it to get optimum performance out of the memory etc. but from what I read there was very little real world benefit to be had going for faster DDR4 ram so I just left it at default.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

nice results in AS SSD although the random 4K numbers look surprisingly a little low?  and im told thats one of the most important benchmarks as Windows reads and writes in 4K pages (or something like that) my SATA 850 EVO gets about 30MB/s read 60-70MB/s write on that section...although mines definitely not as fast as it was (maybe cos its 80% full - i do have 10% used for Over-Provisioning too)

I just searched my forum too find out that my SSD is actually only TWO YEARS OLD (Jan'15) and I have 30Tb of writes???

I used to get 1080 on AS SSD - its now 960 and 887... christ im doing something wrong here?? Ive moved KODI to the HDD so any streaming cache should be used on that now (I hope)
I swapped out a pair of 120Gb 840 EVO's in RAID '0' for this 850 - used to get 1000MB/s on that

WHEN I FIRST GOT IT:

NOW (test 1)

NOW (test 2)

see how its degraded in 2 years after 30Tb of writes... im surprised the read latency is slower? - I have tried modded drivers in the past with good results, currently on default, looks like i might have to go find those modded drivers cos i used to get great results with them.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 01:09:57 PM »

It does look rather slow, especially compared to the results here. Disabling my AV gave the Seq Read/Write values a 300MB/s boost to 2010/1426 but other values stayed about the same.

PS. Found this, but haven't got time to investigate further at the moment

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2925819/samsung-950-pro-low-random-read-write-performance.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:13:42 PM by Ronski »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »

As per link in post above, except I set mine to 6 threads.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »

I just created a 16GB Ram disk, just to see how it performs ;D

Link to version 3.4.8  of Softperfect ram disk which is free (later versions are not) http://filehippo.com/download_softperfect-ram-disk/71289/

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »

looks a bit slow :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »

@ Ronski - you might be able try different drivers, maybe some earlier ones might perform better -- there was this great website that did modified drivers of each intel release (*INF) but cant remember what it was called, I will trapes around and see if I can find it...my read latency used to be 0.048, now its 0.176 - still fast but not as fast as before

i'll try that RAM disk in comparison to RAMdisk :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »

posting my results for qsoft, the test takes ages for 1 gig size even on ramdisk.

I will do another test on newer version of program as I see it seems not even same tests are run now.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »

...... things seem to improve slightly on the latest version of AS SSD, I was using one that was 2 years old - back into 1050 range

Im finding PerfectSoft a bit difficult to use for saving the mounted drive when shutting down, can only do that with an image and I had some issues trying to create that and get it mounted...shame i like the extra usage.

..mind RAMdisk launches as a driver, i cant find it in Task Manager, Services, Startup or Task Scheduler, and it doesnt show the RAM as being USED in Task manager either...PerfectSoft on the otherhand has a program that runs in the tray and shows the memory as being 'used' in Task Manager, also AS SSD would not pick it up (picks up RAMdisk) so I could not bench it with AS SSD lol....but ive benched the 850 EVO in RAPID mode before (which is the same thing) and i get same sorta numbers as your RAMdisk test

(better results on latest AS SSD)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:45:26 PM by snadge »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »

updated result attached :)

notes

1 - first test was on balanced power profile where cpu cannot overclock, the profile I run for light tasks.
2 - second test on newer version I enabled performance, so my cpu can use its overclock which is 4.3ghz
3 - this is a cpu bound test hence the above notes, the results are interesting tho given ronski's superior hardware.
4 - for 2nd test I set threads to equal my core count.  so its 4 threads vs ronski's 6.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5