Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: For a faster Virgin Media ADSL speed.  (Read 4849 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
For a faster Virgin Media ADSL speed.
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »

I "acquired" this from another site and thought it might be of interest to other people here also.

Basically his speeds were absolutely abysmal to start with (screen shots were originally attached)  but then he removed Virgin Media's PCGuard and they then "trebled" in speed.

I switched to Virgin Media ADSL 8meg recently, and was disgusted at the speeds I got.

After lots of unnecessary phone calls, hardware tests, and tonnes of other checks I made, it turns out there's a simple solution!

Remove Virgin's PCGuard software.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: For a faster Virgin Media ADSL speed.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:54:01 AM »

I cannot comment on what kind of software PCGuard is since I am not a Virgin Media customer however if it is a suite incorporating a full SPI/advanced firewall I would imagine that it would have a detromental effect on throughput.

As ever, my [personal] advice is decide which you think is more important, extra speed or perhaps a slight penalty for piece of mind. Btw I never opt to use ISP software, I like to think for myself and make educated choices with regards to security software.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:41:16 AM »

I am a Virgin Media customer (cable) and do not use it either, so I can't really comment on what it actually is or does.

Like yourself, I like to think that third party software will treat my equipment the way I want it, by blocking or allowing want I tell it to, and not by letting in, what it wants to let in.

To be honest his second speed test even for a "up-to" 8 meg was terrible, compared with my 4 meg cable connection.

Jameseh

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »

Yeah, removing AV software temporarily should always be a point of call for poor speed issues.

Quite often a dodgy update can cause slow speeds or completely kill your connection!

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »

Without wishing to rain on your bonfire, OF ... is this program a well known source of speed problems? Or was it just that one person for whom removing it solved his issues?

Does anyone know what software PCGuard is based on?
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »

1. ... is this program a well known source of speed problems?
2. Or was it just that one person for whom removing it solved his issues?

Does anyone know what software PCGuard is based on?

1. I don't know and have to admit it's the first time of coming across anyone having a problem with PCGuard.
2. As I said earlier, even though he removed PCGuard, I still thought his speed was terrible for his 8 meg connection.
 But he seemed convinced it was the problem.
 I don't recall anyone else in the thread saying they also had problems with it.

I mainly brought the topic up here just on the off-chance that it might be worth trying for any one also having a problem with Virgin Media's ADSL connection.

edit. Just to clarify what PCguard is all about:

Protect your PC from top to bottom
However you use your computer, whether it's to check your bank account online, book a holiday or just check your email, you'd like to know that your details are safe and secure. Good thing each of our broadband packages comes with internet security then. Read on to find out more...

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/pcguard.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:10:30 PM by oldfogy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »

To make things worse - Virgin adsl speeds can be all over the place -  Theres been some very poor speeds over the past few months.
However iirc  Virgin have been saying for ages they were due some new Central Pipes in april.   If they have lit them..  then the guy may have found himself on a new pipe with better speeds.

>> mainly brought the topic up here just on the off-chance that it might be worth trying for any one also having a problem with Virgin Media's ADSL connection

Its certainly worth a try and putting something else such as AVG on to see if it helps.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »

I mainly brought the topic up here just on the off-chance that it might be worth trying for any one also having a problem with Virgin Media's ADSL connection.

And quite rightly so - I just like to get to the very bottom of a potential solution for something, so that I understand WHY it happens. As kitz said it might just have been pure luck that he found himself on a better pipe - I guess that would be proved by reinstalling PC Guard, doing some tests whilst reconnecting several times to get on a selection of pipes, and then uninstalling it and repeating.

It just seems odd, and alarm bells were ringing when Virgin ADSL was mentioned too - so it could be anything! If PC Guard was the culprit, I would have expected to have heard about it before now, as NTL's NetGuard (essentially a previous version) has been around for a few years now.

Who knows - I'm certainly not questioning you posting what you have done, I'm just trying to dig further, that's all :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

This is the link to the topic in question.
Since my last visit I now notice a few other people having a grumble also.

http://www.subdemon.com/forum/index.php?topic=17886.0;topicseen

(You may have to register to access the site.)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:19:41 PM »

ahhhhh..   thanks for the link OF - That helps a lot.

Look at the date/time of the first (bad) download - 8.15pm which is when Virgin dsl speeds go to pot cause their centrals are busy.

Then look at the next one (5 days later) and but this time at 12.48 which is when their network isnt so busy.
Its still not great though is it.

This would tie in with what other people are reporting from various sources - see virgin dsl status on this page
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/caps.htm

More likely to be time of day and a change of central inbetween IMHO.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »

I didn't post the link earlier because there was not many posts and did not think it either polite or correct to do so, but now with other people having their say in the matter, then that's now a different story.
(Plus, I forgot exactly where it was)  :lol: