Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will my Internet Service Recover?  (Read 8462 times)

Sunzz

Re: Will my Internet Service Recover?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

What you need is a Raspberry Pi to install DLStats on  ;)

:P true i do, god my connection is so p00 right now lol, 34 down 2.5 up .

They emailed me and said someone should of been in contact as they want to send someone out, nothing for 3 hours so i emailed back and they said they were doing some tests at the cabinet to double check everything on there end before they need to send someone round. im shocked at how fast they are! i assumed it would be at least a week before i got an email back.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »

Many years ago I resorted to emailing the CEO after PN had failed to get BTOR to fix my brothers broadband after 3 months. Emailed Sunday afternoon,  fixed Thursday morning. If only the service was that good all the time.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Sunzz

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »

Many years ago I resorted to emailing the CEO after PN had failed to get BTOR to fix my brothers broadband after 3 months. Emailed Sunday afternoon,  fixed Thursday morning. If only the service was that good all the time.

True, im guessing openreach realize emailing them directly is a last resort and its important.Havent herd anything yet, sucks because the other day them bit tones returned for the first time ever, and now they're gone :(

Sunzz

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »

So a lil update on whats been happening. We had openreach come round this morning even though we had no phone call to let us know or anything :P he was doing loads of checks outside and was using these huge wooden poles that connect together to find our duct thing or something?

I'm a bit confused on what he was telling me but him and another openreach engineer are coming back tomorrow as they need to dig up a section of mud just outside our neighbours house, he said other lines were getting around 10 mb upload or more yet we are getting 3, and that they think we dont have ducting or something line that? and i believe they are putting a new line in from our house to just outside my neighbours, where they are going to dig up.

Wish i wasn't so stupid and understood everything lol

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »

Hmm

Whilst this may get you a better connection, I think they have still misunderstood the problem.

They are still looking at it in a very simplistic way which is they looking at the upload speed you get, but not the reasons why you get that speed.  The reason been the U2 is not populated.  Now could bad ducting mysteriously only affect the U2 range and not the D2 and D3 ranges either side of it? I suppose its possible but I find it a very remote chance.

I suppose end of the day you wont care how it gets fixed as long as its fixed, it could be fixed simply with a pair swap e.g. as a pair swap could get you moved away from the rogue line in the bundle and the extra US power then doesnt crosstalk onto your line (which also explains why your neighbours cannot be affected).  Let this play out as their work may well improve things anyway in both ways not just the US, and see if it needs further action afterwards.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »

Chrysalis is spot on here. Sounds like the UPBO angle is being ignored, but any work that could remove your line from the rogue line will achieve what you want. I can't imagine that if this is down to UPBO that you're the only impacted EU, and this could just move the problem onto someone else. They really should be trying to detect the offending modem, and remove it from their network. It's surely going to be cheaper, quicker, and more effective than ducting sections of buried cables.

Sounds like progress either way. If the planned work doesn't fix the poor upload make sure to ask for a pair swap.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Sunzz

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

Chrysalis is spot on here. Sounds like the UPBO angle is being ignored, but any work that could remove your line from the rogue line will achieve what you want. I can't imagine that if this is down to UPBO that you're the only impacted EU, and this could just move the problem onto someone else. They really should be trying to detect the offending modem, and remove it from their network. It's surely going to be cheaper, quicker, and more effective than ducting sections of buried cables.

Sounds like progress either way. If the planned work doesn't fix the poor upload make sure to ask for a pair swap.

They tried a pair swap last time an engineer was here with the same results. Its weird because i sent them so much evidence, including pictures of my stats when openreach were remotely playing with my connection and actually fixed the problem for a few hours.

How could they of temporally fix the problem remotely?

Also i think he said something about il have my OWN ducting? only for 12 metres or so though. up to the front of my next door neighbours house.

Heres my pbparams right now and theres also a picture below of when the problem was temporarily fixed. The tx power and snr margin changed big time on the U2 band

VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:            3161 kbps              38428 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:         -   4.4 dBm            -   4.4 dBm
====================================================================================
  VDSL Band Status   U0   U1   U2   U3   U4   D1   D2   D3
  Line Attenuation(dB) 1.2   23.7   36.0   N/A   N/A   12.9   30.6   49.0
Signal Attenuation(dB):1.1   23.5   34.9   N/A   N/A   12.2   30.4   48.9
        SNR Margin(dB):6.7   6.3   0.0   N/A   N/A   6.2   5.9   6.1
         TX Power(dBm):-4.6   -19.5   -128.0   N/A   N/A   11.1   7.1   5.9
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:34:09 PM by Sunzz »

Sunzz

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »

Hey guys, so a lil update on the upstream problem etc

so 2 Openreach engineers came tuesday at 9 am and started digging, they was actually here for over 6 hours as they was having trouble getting the cable through the ducts as they were blocked, at one point there was 3 guys!.

After all them hours the new cable did nothing and my speed was exactly the same. He then started doing changes at the cabinet etc and boom my speed is now soo much better and my missing bit tones have returned! he said he changed me onto a different circuit or something like that?

weird because i got similar results when openreach where remotely playing with my connection last week, which only lasted for 2 hours.

Got an email from a high up guy asking how the connection was and i said i was worried it mite revert back like last time but he assured me its fixed and wont revert back. so pbparms before

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:   0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 3655 Kbps, Downstream rate = 48604 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 3615 Kbps, Downstream rate = 48836 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2770)
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2093)
DS: (41,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
     VDSL Port Details        Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:        3655 kbps          48604 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:      -   3.6 dBm        -   3.6 dBm
====================================================================================
  VDSL Band Status       U0   U1     U2         U3   U4      D1   D2   D3
  Line Attenuation(dB): 0.6   23.3   35.6     N/A   N/A   12.8  30.1 47.4
Signal Attenuation(dB):0.5   23.1    0.0      N/A   N/A   12.0  29.8 47.4
        SNR Margin(dB):  6.9   6.1     0.0       N/A   N/A     6.4   6.4   6.4
         TX Power(dBm): -4.5  -18.9   -11.3   N/A   N/A   10.6   7.3   7.3

and pbparms

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 16557 Kbps, Downstream rate = 65961 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 16547 Kbps, Downstream rate = 65941 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
DS: (41,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
                  VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:           16557 kbps              65961 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:             6.8 dBm                6.8 dBm
  VDSL Band Status     U0    U1    U2   U3   U4   D1   D2   D3
  Line Attenuation(dB): 1.2   23.0   37.2   N/A   N/A   12.8   29.8   47.0
Signal Attenuation(dB):1.0   22.8   37.1   N/A   N/A   12.2   29.6   47.0
        SNR Margin(dB):  7.7    6.1    6.0   N/A   N/A   6.1   6.1   6.2
         TX Power(dBm):-4.7   -20.0  6.4   N/A   N/A   10.6   7.1   7.5

Lets hope it stays like this :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

Sounds like a malfunctioning port?  New port working correctly.

good news and glad its fixed.

Ronski I think you should do the same ;)

Also you got a nice jump on the DS as well so the new cable may have still helped. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »

@Chrysalis Tempting, but with hopefully a Huawei cab being installed this week, I might just get a new connection when I'm sure it's live.
@Sunzz Great result  ;D
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »

From 48/3 to 65/16
That's an incredible difference!
A bit ridiculous that you need to go through the CEO to get anything done, but that's a great response.
Hopefully it lasts for you.

Was it HLC department who you were in contact with? Keep hold of that guys email address. I've found that the person dealing with my case high up in OpenReach is more than happy to deal with any follow up enquires I've had and has even opened up a 2nd case for me on an unrelated problem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Sunzz

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »

Could it really of been a bad port? wouldny stuff like that be checked first before putting in a new cable lol

@Ronski good luck with ur new cab mate i really hope u get hooked up to it :)

@j0hn i was passed to the director of network quality so yeh il keep that email for sure! :)

Contacting openreach directly was amazing it really was. I think when you report a problem to ur ISP they just say something to openreach like "bad speed" and thats it. no other info. Unless thats the only info they have.

I'm worried that when it resyncs its going to go back lol

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 10:36:28 PM »

shows how things could be if CPs were removed as the middle man? :)

on the 48/3 "but its best efforts its the best you can get, we cannot do anything about the laws of physics".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:40:02 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything